Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-11

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To do a dry elprez, you start with an empty gun in the holster, in it's ready condition. (cocked and locked for 1911)

At the beep, turn, draw and after the first shot, just keep pressing the trigger, working it back and forth for each "shot."

With a G-lock...I dunno what to do...bounce the finger on the trigger?

Hit the button, reload a full (dummy rounds) mag and do your next six.

Do some focused on the speed of the actions, then do some focused on the sight pictures.

Work that par time down, then turn it off altogether.

Tightloop,

If you don't WANT to dry fire 30 minutes a day, that's one thing...and I would never disparage someone for having fun shooting matches for fun...sometimes I wish I could do that.

BUT...to think you CAN'T get down to 5 seconds is something that's just not accurate. Your age, your obligations, your other pursuits have nothing to do with your ability to do a 5 second el prez.

I am truly sorry I offended you, and hope you understand I had only good intentions in challenging you to reach a very attainable goal.

SA

Steve

Not offended in the least. Just sometimes I am challenged getting up in the morning. I'll take your message to heart and start dryfiring instead of practicing my doublehaul in the front yard, or those quartering away dropping 40 yd clays. Too many pursuits, not enough time or money...glad I don't race cars anymore, now that was some $$.

When I get in the 5's I'll let you know.

I think what he means is he broke 10 seconds once, but has shot it more than once.

TL . . . Stallion ...

Yes, that is correct. I've shot it maybe 10-15 times over the years in matches, and my best time was 9.XX where I actually hit the paper. I might have been a bit lower once, but with a miss, so it doesn't count!

To do a dry elprez, you start with an empty gun in the holster, in it's ready condition. (cocked and locked for 1911)

At the beep, turn, draw and after the first shot, just keep pressing the trigger, working it back and forth for each "shot."

Thanks, Steve. I never would have thought to do something like that. It's kind of like air gunning, but with a gun in your hands. Seems like it would be a good drill to do with a double action pistol or a wheelgun.

Oh! And I just finished doing 30 draw'n'snaps with my Para. It's my fourth dry fire session since I started practicing and the first with my fat gun.

Rhino,

Be positive, you are at the Par time the drill was intended to be done. Now you'll get better.

Now that you are dryfiring, you and I can break into the 5's together...

Steve will be proud of us both. Now to get the timing down on that doublehaul, and the lead on that clays shot.

tightloop, 6 second runs are solidly respectable times in a match situation. Other than the matches where a bunch of national caliber talent shows up, those times and points will put you in the top pack of the stage. You won't be down many match points to the winner.

Erik

I was pretty tickled with those times, till Steve posted. Looking at your times and those of Ron Ankeny and Steve, kind of felt like I was in the cement and it was drying.

I'm ok on the El Prez with those times if I can keep the scores where they are. Unless Matt B or Todd J come down and shoot with us, I should be respectable. It just amazes me that you guys can do it in the 4's...wow.

If I can get back to shooting USPSA and can shoot my classifiers on an A level and then work toward Master, I'll be super happy. While I'd like to get into the 5's like Steve says, I need to round out my practice to include lots of other areas as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

That 4.70 was with a Miss. I'll bet I could shoot sub-5s with misses all day long. Time is not the ultimate goal, hit factor is... points divided by time.

My speed comes from entirely from splits and transitions. To be an El Prez ace you must also have the other skills mastered, including the turning draw and the reload. I'd trade my fast splits for a fast reload if I could.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot this one today at our club match.....in the pouring down rain and wind. My previous attempt at this classifier was 77%....to move up in class (from B to A Class in L10) would require that I shoot it at better then 80%.

6.02 seconds at 54 points....which will translate to just under 84%....hello A Class in L10! :P My time felt slow...especially the reload due to the cold and wet weather...I'm pretty sure I could go faster on this one in better/warmer weather! Shot both passes Right to Left target engagement.

Which way did you turn?

I'm always perplexed by shooters who turn past the first target. Lotta wated time there...

SA

To the left (or counterclockwise if you'd like). I find that I have faster engagement on targets if I shoot them right to left....and believe the same thing you do...the first target engaged should be the first one you "rotate" into. So what I did was to put most of my weight on my ball of my right foot and at the beep....move my left foot around and plant it....then just pivot on my right foot toes....doing this means that I'm also pivoting around the gun rather then the gun making a large arc (don' t know if that matters)...the draw then happens directly into the first (right hand) target.

Of course I'm not a M/GM shooter so this may not be the best way...but works for me.

Perfect.

I've seen some locals turn left, then shoot left to right. Kind of a head scratcher...

I have studied the turn and draw a lot, and have learned that snapping the head to the first target is the most important thing for me. If I get a great head snap, the turn sorts itself out just fine.

I like to be firing the first shot on my right foot before I'm even turned around all the way. (turning right)

The GREAT ones are done that way for me.

The turn and draw should be on every shooter's list of drills...live and dry fire.

SA

Shot yesterday with my LDA 9mm Production Class.

57 points @ 6.87 - Where does this work out?

Right handed - turning to the right - or pivoting around my right foot - right to left on the targets. My reload times SUCK @ around 2 seconds. No magwell is whooping my butt. :( Draws are averaging about 1.5

What is a realistic goal for draw times and reloads on this drill?

MerlinD

I can remember when anything under 7 sec really turned heads.

I have been practicing this also, and can shoot it pretty consistently in the low 6's down 2 or 3. I don't have a cheat sheet like Jake, so I can't give you the Natl % of your run, but I do feel like it should be pretty good in Production.

I think I can get down in the mid to low 5's with my new Limited gun when I get all dialed in. Reading Steve Anderson's post made me realize how I should approach shooting this and other classifiers.

Good goin'

Tightloop

Yea - I guess I need to quit trying to do a "good run for a D shooter" and look at the big dawgs times and try to get to 5 flat? I went to my range this morning and shot 19 El Prezs - had 3 in the high 5s - with an average of about 30 points.. Had 10 in the low to mid 6s - average about 40 points. I STILL don't know what my front sight is doing when I try to go quickly.

I again read what Steve challanged as to 100 practice runs a day. Makes sense to me. I also read what Rhino said about "inherent laziness" :D

I am off assignment now and will be home for a couple of months. I expect I will go to my little range every day and see what happens.

MerlinD,

that's not bad with an LDA (where the mags MUST be bigger than the mag opening in the gun, I swear!). I find that I can turn, draw and shoot almost as quickly as just draw and shoot (at 10 y, that would be 1.4-1.5ish for me, a safe A from 10 y facing the targets is 1.2-1.3ish for me, call it a weak draw...). With the LDA, the trickiest part of the El Prez is the reload (1.5ish, for me, to be safe). Also, it's important to *keep the trigger moving*, i.e. prep the DA trigger during recoil and not wait with the prepping until the sights have settled. And certainly, as was already pointed out, if you're right handed, you turn right and engage targets left to right, reload, and engage left to right again. Usually ends up upper 5s/lower 6s for me.... Goal in Production is simple: All As, every C is dropping 2 pts or 3% of total points...simply too expensive to be worth it.

High HF is (I think) around 10.0 for Prod....

--Detlef

Goal in Production is simple: All As, every C is dropping 2 pts or 3% of total points...simply too expensive to be worth it.

Detlef

I knew that but - DAMN - it sure looks differant in print. Thanks for that. So what does that equate to as far as time vs the diff from 5 points to 3? Around .2 or is it more?

I need to figure out how Jake does that stuff... :huh:

MerlinD

See guy, I told you it would be good, that is solid A classifier stuff.

You get on the Anderson training schedule and you'll be tough to handle in 30 days.

MerlinD,

If Jake was a real friend, he'd email us a copy of his cheat sheet so we wouldn't look so STUPID all the time asking about % of the Natl HHF...Hint, Hint.

Shot yesterday with my LDA 9mm Production Class.

57 points @ 6.87 - Where does this work out?

Man, if I could do that with an Open gun, I'd have a shootingasm!

That's way, way, WAY beyond "a good run for a D shooter."