Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMT Hardballer

Madmark

I have a chance to swap for an AMT Hardballer Longslide. It has adjustable sights and the 7" barrel. The guy wants $300, and it's in good shape. It seems I heard sometime back that the gun jams. What is the story with it? Does the AMT have feeding issues?  Are standard 1911 parts interchangeable? Are they descent guns? Any help is appreciated,   ~Mark

my first 45 was a hardballer, and like everyone else it jammed all the time, then a friend gave some good after market mags. the gun ran like a champ. the mags that came with the gun were pure junk. ireally grew to like the long sight radius. for 300 dollars i'd go for it.

I shoot a 5" into "C" class for a couple years.  Get some good 10 round mags, and drop check the barrel with your ammo.  Some are chambered tight.  The only problem I had was shooting off the back site.  Replaced it with a Millet, and shoot that off as well.  I would start this way again.  Good luck.

I tested a Hardballer for my book, The Gun Digest book of the 1911.  Theirs was one of the most accurate pistols of the bunch.  The short form:

New production guns have a G prefix in the serial number.  They will be better made than the old ones.

The owner does the warranty repairs, so you know he keeps up on what is going wrong, if anything.

If yours doesn't work right, he will work on it at a bench rate that is less than I charged when I was full-time wrenching 7 years ago.  For $300, jump on it.  Feed it factory hardball and use good mags.  If it malfs, ship it to the new AMT with a detailed description, and I'm sure they'll help you.

7", eh?  For an L10 gun, it might have some possibilities.

Is the new incarnation of AMT still in business?  I read they left Kalifornia and moved to Sturgis, but can't find any more than that.  

Just curious....I always passed over AMT's b/c of their legendary unreliability, but if that's been fixed....who knows what ridiculous purchase I might make next.

Greetings,

I called the guy with the AMT, and he sold it this weekend. Oh well, you snooze you looze. Thanks for the info though. Who else makes inexpensive longslides? (6" or 7" barrel)  I may have to go long for limited.

Look for the new AMT's at

Galena Industries

3551 Mayer Ave.

Sturgis, SD.  57785

605-423-4105

http://www.galenaindustries.com

Ask if they still have #GGA00582 on hand.  That was the test gun I had, and if they still have it, buy it.  Even slightly used (unless some gun writer hack got ahold of it since) it is an amazingly accurate gun for less than $500 suggested retail.