Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 9mm HAP Bullets

Now, you first have to promise not to laugh. I did say that I was new to all of this and I'm not used to all the assumed knowledge you have to have to get within 100 yards of a catalog. Having said that...

I purchased some 9mm Starline brass and a selection of different Hornady 9mm bullets from Midway so that I could test a number of different loads for my Glock 19.

One of the things I got was a box of 125gr HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) bullets. However, before the box was even opened, I ran across a reference to using these in 38 Super. I checked with Hornady and, sure enough, that's what they are designed for.

Now, I suppose the fact that these are .356 rather than .355 should have told me something, but hells bells it's only .001 different and the catalog does say 9mm!! (told you not to laugh, darn it)

Well, for $10.50, I'm not going to bother to return these to Midway but before I toss them or give them away, I'd like to know if there is any reason why I shouldn't use them in my G19. This may not be exactly what they were intended for but are certainly within tolerances for a 9mm and the design of the bullets is pretty interesting.

:unsure:

I've used a few HAP bullets over the last years.

Have used boxes marked .355 and .356, sometimes from the same order. I have miked them from both and all mine have always been .356. Put them in super barrels cut for .356 and now using them in 9mm Major with barrels cut for .355, no problems with either.

My supply should make it through this year, but looks like the Hornady price increases being higher than others will make me look at something else.

Sherwyn

If your mic is good enough, HAPs run .3555. They can't decide to put .355 or .356 on the boxes, but it doesn't matter anyway..

Interesting. I called Hornady and they said, "don't do it". Makes me wonder why.

It may be a moot point for me anyway since I live in Delaware and New Jersey is just a stones throw away and they are very paranoid about hollow point ammo there (under some circumstances the fine for possession of any hollow point ammo is outrageous). I haven't gone there to shoot yet, but I just know that if I find I like these bullets, I'll also find a place in Jersey where I want to go shoot them and then I'll have to spend an age making sure that I'm not going to break any laws. Sounds a lot like more hassle than I want. <sigh>

Thanks to all. Good information.

If your mic is good enough, HAPs run .3555. They can't decide to put .355 or .356 on the boxes, but it doesn't matter anyway..

Interesting. I called Hornady and they said, "don't do it". Makes me wonder why.

It may be a moot point for me anyway since I live in Delaware and New Jersey is just a stones throw away and they are very paranoid about hollow point ammo there (under some circumstances the fine for possession of any hollow point ammo is outrageous). I haven't gone there to shoot yet, but I just know that if I find I like these bullets, I'll also find a place in Jersey where I want to go shoot them and then I'll have to spend an age making sure that I'm not going to break any laws. Sounds a lot like more hassle than I want. <sigh>

Thanks to all. Good information.

I've shot about 10k rounds of 9mm 125 grain HAP bullets through a Glock 17 with no problems. Unfortunately the cost of these bullets have increased so much that I've had to switch to a more affordable solution. I loaded to an OAL of 1.142

Good luck,

Itchy

I've shot about 10k rounds of 9mm 125 grain HAP bullets through a Glock 17 with no problems. Unfortunately the cost of these bullets have increased so much that I've had to switch to a more affordable solution. I loaded to an OAL of 1.142

Wow! That seems rather shallow (if that is the correct term). I don't have my book handy, but I think that the OAL for the same size JHP is around 1.06.

• 11 years later...

I bought .356 by mistake with a little help from an un informed store clerk.  I wanted to shoot them in my .357 Sig.which takes a 9mm bullet. I called Hornady and was told that it was OK. I Emailed them the next day and they said don't use them.  What do I believe? Don't  use them at all, or just use them in 9mm Luger. Are they just made for a.38????