Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MY 6" thread....

dirtypool40

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thought...

I always liked to think that a gun with a lightened slide that really throws brass was a fine candidate for a bit heavier recoil spring. In my thinking, the heavier recoil spring (as long as the brass is still clearing nicely) adds a bit of reliability...in that is strips the mags and feeds the rounds with more surety.

That gun does look cool. B)

Random thought...

I always liked to think that a gun with a lightened slide that really throws brass was a fine candidate for a bit heavier recoil spring. In my thinking, the heavier recoil spring (as long as the brass is still clearing nicely) adds a bit of reliability...in that is strips the mags and feeds the rounds with more surety.

And...

It is not beating up the frame :unsure:

On page 6 of this thread, PaulW asked about what spring plug was used and Dan responded "extended recoil spring plug". Who makes the spring plug that Triangle and Bedell are using? I got an STI extended spring plug from Shooters Connection, but it does not appear to be as long as the ones used by Triangle.

Thanks,

splashdown.

I'm guessing the plugs were specially made by the smith. It is only simple machine work.

Random thought...

(Quote: ZHunter)

And...

It is not beating up the frame

(Quote: from Dan Sierpina)

QUOTE(splashdown @ Nov 25 2007, 12:39 PM)

On page 6 of this thread, PaulW asked about what spring plug was used and Dan responded "extended recoil spring plug". Who makes the spring plug that Triangle and Bedell are using? I got an STI extended spring plug from Shooters Connection, but it does not appear to be as long as the ones used by Triangle.

Thanks,

splashdown.

I'm guessing the plugs were specially made by the smith. It is only simple machine work.

Flex-

You are absolutely correct, about slowing the slide down some ... unless "that" (speeding-it up) is what you had in mind. Of course speeding it up can and will have its own set of rules that must be followed to avoid other problems/malfunctions, which you will have to address. Consistent, predictable ejection at any speed is the secondary goal. The primary goal was to balance the weight mass into a flat, predictable, repeatable behaviour with minimum recoil transfer. This is a tall order for a major PF gun in a lightweight envelope. Now ... comes the part of "springing" it. Initially I will test it with various recoil/main-spring combinations. This information will be given to the owner. But it is up to the owner to research with his/her own set of perceived values what the final set-up in springing will be to achieve that "elusive" following shots close pairing. If per chance the way I send it "set-up" is good for you, great, but if not usually going one or two pounds under or over will get it right there. This obviously has to do with the actual cartridge load the customer/shooter will settle on eventually. All I can do is "project/calculate ahead" within the target cartridge, and let the final/minimal springing be done by the shooter.

ZHunter-

That is the reason why I am a firm believer in "CP Buffs", a very hard, reliable shock buffer. I always set up my guns to work reliably with them. I am very much concerned with not beating up the frame, or the slide. Of course when you reduce the slide weight a lot, so will you reduce the inertia value of its impact. But you need to make sure that the impact/contact points remain strong and not weakened. In some of my Open guns the slide will weight as little as 7 oz. (sometimes even less), so they'd better be strong.

Dan S.

(LOL) Are you implying that some of us will actually make our own parts ??? Well, I'll ask you this: Do we have a choice ??? If somebody was making these parts we wouldn't have to. Remember the "old" days when we had to weld-up our own extended thumb rests and beavertails ??? As you stated, simple design and machining is one of the first requirements of 'smithing. You should know this well, as you've been doing it for a while too. :cheers:

All in all, I had a "ball" building this gun. Glad y'all can enjoy it. Just remeber USPSA/IPSC slogan "Diligentia-Vis-Celeritas". Thanks.

(Edited for spelling, etc.)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

Venry,

I remember welding blocks onto P9's etc to make beaver tails! I still remember how to silver solder things onto slide stops too. When you had pretty much 2 choices for barrels, Bar Sto and Kart. How many have actually seen Smith and Wesson 1911 barrels......late 70's manufacture? Heck, I have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special or AMU barrel lying around.

Things have changed!

I shot my first match with it yesterday. I won Limited in a tough battle with Jeff Degracia, and only missed beating the open guys by 5 points.

Shooting on the move it seemed very stable, and I didn't notice any real difference on the draw or reloads. So far I'm likin' it. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I shot my first match with it yesterday. I won Limited in a tough battle with Jeff Degracia, and only missed beating the open guys by 5 points.

Shooting on the move it seemed very stable, and I didn't notice any real difference on the draw or reloads. So far I'm likin' it. :cheers:

Whats your impressions on the 6" vs 5" in percieved recoil and the overall ability to drive the gun to the next target etc...

Inquiring mind "gots ta know".

Well so far, I like it.

I know that's not very scientific, but it's like light bullets vs. heavy or heavy gun vs. light.

I am still not practiced up enough to be really timed to it, but so far I am liking what I am seeing.

I like the way it points handles and transitions - like a quick / light 5"

but in recoil it seems snappy but still soft, kind of a "better" heavy 5" feel in recoil.

I did have one bad stage, the classifier, with a crappy grip and just kept hosing, and it cost me a mike, so it's still not ALL the gun, but so far I am liking what I've seen so far.

I'm still shooting left over loads as I recently moved, and haven't set up again to load just for the 6".

That being said I juuuuuust got my new Chrono from CED and am looking forward to using it.

Edited by dirtypool40