Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight article on Factory Gun Nationals

Newguy

In the latest issue of Front Sights there was an article on the Factory Gun Nationals, which stated that the 6" long slide in .45 ACP was the hot ticket in L-10. Why would the big dawgs choose to shoot that configuation in .45 rather than .40? Seems like .40 S&W would give them the edge over the harder recoiling .45 ACP.

I know for Rob that he REALLY shoots .45's well. For some reason it is his caliber of choice. They work well together.

If you think back over the years - when limited first came to the scene - it took Team Springfield a couple of years to convert over to hi-cap guns (even though they were using them in open).

Fact is - TGO likes a single stack .45.

Feed reliability. I've said this before - just quoting, of course - but according to our host's experience (which is immense) there are serious differences, regarding caliber/magazine type, in just how easy it is to make a 1911 feed reliably. From easiest to hardest, they go:

Single-stack .45

Double-stack .40

Single-stack .40

Double-stack .45

Was new guy more curious about the long slide than the caliber choice? I know I am...

The single stack 45 has, what, 100 (!!!!) years of reliability testing and subsequent improvements?

Our generel thought on slides is that lighter is better, so the long slide would cycle in the face of that theory...

Quick, all BE.com members channel all your mental powers to Robbie, he may answer...

(rob, rob, rob, rob, rob, come in, rob...:))

SA

There was a thread awhile ago where BE said he had talked with Rob about the longslide...and they were testing, but for whatever reason..it shot well for  TGO...

TGO did exceptionally well with it at an area championship...

maybe he will come him with why it works for him....be interested...haven;t had a chance to chat with Avery about why he shot a  longslide...if I get any insight from him I will pass it along...

With a little experience in long slides, one big factor is sight radius and indexing.  If you're in the moment using a long slide, the rear sight hardly exists, and you use the front sight almost like a dot.

As for cycle times, you can adjust slide weight and springs to make it almost anything you want.

One small consideration is the supply of ten-shot .45 mags vs. (non-existant) .40 mags.

In the end, all that matters is what works for you.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 8:29 am on Oct. 28, 2002)

I've used a 45 in Limited/L10 for "years". Never owned a 40 caliber, never wanted to. I have a Gold Cup I started this game with 16 years ago, a old fashioned long slide gun ( two Gold Cup slides welded together, the hot set-up in the late 70's early 80's ) and an SVI Hi-Cap. It's painfully easy to make major,throat the guns correctly and they'll feed empty cases and the guns last forever. You CAN be successful with a 45 even if yopur name isn't TGO. I love the fact that he's successful with a 45, keeps the original IPSC caliber of choice alive just a little bit longer !

TGO likes it because of the timming and of course the radius.     The two calibers are very different when it comes to recoil and timming.   And a LS even more visiual.   But lets not forget about the "burner" he  got second and according to the article he lost because fo little mistakes.     Any gun combo will do.

The the 40 has going for me is the "cheap brass"  try stocking up on 45 brass.     I rather shoot a 45 but the 40 is no sloth either!     thanks

"Also do they make the longslide in .40?"

STI makes the stock Trojan Longslide in .40 (and .45, 9mm, .38S)

"One small consideration is the supply of ten-shot .45 mags vs. (non-existant) .40 mags. "

GOOD POINT.  There is a thread here from a while back asking which .45 - 10's mags will feed .40 reliably in a single stack 1911.  Some will, but they would hold 12 rounds of .40 so they might be illegal to use unless they were blocked off to limit capacity to 10.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the obvious - FGN match was Lim-10 and not regular Limited.  If you can only shoot 10 rounds you go with the biggest ones.  Easier to see on target plus you get that fraction of an inch more towards breaking the line to the next higher score.  Does Rob also shoot .45 in Limited without the 10 round cap?