Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Sig for Open Glock ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the .357 makes a better round for the open Glock or does it really matter at all?

Scott-

Hmmm!!!!

IMHO I think and am convinced that the .357 Sig does make a better choice over the .40 S&W for Open, whether on Glock or otherwise. For many reasons as has been posted here. As for: "does it really matter at all?" ... It all depends on what you are looking to get as a final result, after "fairly" checking out the options available, but keep on mind that this is a study/comparison only between the .357 Sig and the .40 S&W. It is nice to have viable alternatives.

Eric-

The Glock 20 in .38 Supercomp is for "Joe the Lawyer". The Glock 23/32 in .357 Sig is for me!! :D Both Glocks are wearing "brass" magwells from Glockmeister. As for getting all these Open Glocks "date each other" at a match ... it could happen.

HSMITH-

That contraption attached to the frame is made by Smart Lock, Inc. (www.smartlock.com) in Canada. It is their new "Thumb Rest" Competition 2 model, and it works great. They also make one for the Springfield Armory XD. Call "Sandy" at Smartlock and tell him I sent you ... More pictures??? we'll see ...

How does your new open Glock shoot? Does the dot stay in the lens field of view while firing?

Do you think the .357 makes a better round for the open Glock or does it really matter at all?

Scott-

Hmmm!!!!

IMHO I think and am convinced that the .357 Sig does make a better choice over the .40 S&W for Open, whether on Glock or otherwise. For many reasons as has been posted here. As for: "does it really matter at all?" ... It all depends on what you are looking to get as a final result, after "fairly" checking out the options available, but keep on mind that this is a study/comparison only between the .357 Sig and the .40 S&W. It is nice to have viable alternatives.

Eric-

The Glock 20 in .38 Supercomp is for "Joe the Lawyer". The Glock 23/32 in .357 Sig is for me!! :D Both Glocks are wearing "brass" magwells from Glockmeister. As for getting all these Open Glocks "date each other" at a match ... it could happen.

HSMITH-

That contraption attached to the frame is made by Smart Lock, Inc. (www.smartlock.com) in Canada. It is their new "Thumb Rest" Competition 2 model, and it works great. They also make one for the Springfield Armory XD. Call "Sandy" at Smartlock and tell him I sent you ... More pictures??? we'll see ...

How does your new open Glock shoot? Does the dot stay in the lens field of view while firing?

This is where the real advantage for the .357 Sig comes in handily. There are so many loads possible for you to tailor your dot's behaviour. Being that I started with a low mass and weight by using the compact slide, I can concentrtate on my ideal load without worrying about recoil spring weight. Put it this way: the gun cycles perfectly with factory ammo and Glock's original factory recoil spring. This is a big plus when you also have the margin to play without having to worry that your recoil spring is to heavy to handle your loads and your comps/dot behaviour.

In my use of some of the loads from an open 19/2011 in this open Glock my initial dot reaction was actually negative rise. Yes, my dot was jumping down first and then coming up. It is a weird feeling to see the dot jump down instead of up. When you have an efficient system (like the Hyper-Jet Comp :cheers: ) working for you, there are no worries about the dot leaving the window. Of course you do need to make test loads to find the one that better suits your taste and your splits/transitions. The Open Glocks are noticeably much lighter in weight and this means more punishing energy transferred to your grip, so a slightly different approach is needed to "gun control" instead of "dot control".

The big pain in the arse is matching your mags performance to catch up with the fast cycling slides when light recoil springs are not an issue. Just like any other fine "thorough-bred" Open gun, a period of acquaintance and breaking in while tuning the gun to your personal taste is going on. So far the smile is still on my face (the honeymon is ON). I will let you know if it changes.

But ... I'll let you in on a little secret: "I don't think my love for this Open Glock will be greater than my previous love for my Open 2011 using the same Hyper-Jet Comp system. :ph34r: