Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Sig for Open Glock ...

I am actually contemplating rebuilding my tired and worn out .40 Open gun that I shot for 12 years. just need a new slide and maybe a barrel.

That is if I give up shooting SSD on a regular basis

Alan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While at first it sounds enticing to use 357 SIG the amount of extra work one has to do when reloading far exceeds the benefit. For example I normally have to size them with a 40 S&W die like Lee or EGW to remove the potential fat round that forms with that brass especially if its been fired from a G31 or its equivalent. After going through that step (Using a 650) I then resize (using a 1050) it again with the Dillon 357 SIG Die (To my knowledge thats the on Carbide die available for this cartridge).

You could save a step, by just getting a Case Pro and roll sizing the Glock'ed brass.

Rich

Im shooting open with 357SIG glock and i like it. Smaller mag capacity doesnt bother me because long stages always have so much movement where you can chance it. My mag capacity in 170mm is 26rounds and 140mm 21rounds.

Load that im currently using is 124grs bullet with 9.8grs VV N105 and it shoots really flat givin 168PF.

Only thing bothering me in glock is the selection of bullets you can use in it and its because the mag size you have to load them short.

I guess the Open Glock pictured above is the one you are referring to in this post ??????

Those are nice "credentials" indeed !!!!!

Maybe by tomorrow or the next day I will be finished building my own .357 Sig Open Glock, based in the "compact" model G-32 and with a 5" barrel. The hunk of stainless steel used to build the Hyper-Jet Comp is right now in the milling machine, but hope to have it done in the next couple of hours. Since I am using a Caspian stainless steel slide that I had for a while (disguised as a G-23) it will be an all Stainless Steel top end. Now ... if only "CFC" would make a compact small frame in stainless steel ... (I'm drooling at the thought :cheers: )

Oh, yeah, I'll see what I can do about taking some pictures then.

While at first it sounds enticing to use 357 SIG the amount of extra work one has to do when reloading far exceeds the benefit. For example I normally have to size them with a 40 S&W die like Lee or EGW to remove the potential fat round that forms with that brass especially if its been fired from a G31 or its equivalent. After going through that step (Using a 650) I then resize (using a 1050) it again with the Dillon 357 SIG Die (To my knowledge thats the on Carbide die available for this cartridge).

You could save a step, by just getting a Case Pro and roll sizing the Glock'ed brass.

Rich

Rich-

I agree with you. But frankly I can not understand all the fuss made. I have been loading the .357 Sig for a few years now without a problem. Yes, the only sizing die in carbide I found is made by Dillon, and it is "pricey". I do not "roll" them, just pass/size and decap them through the carbide die and continue on as you would any other cartridge. Heck, when it was harder to obtain once fired .357 Sig's I just put in .40 S&W cases in one end and out the other end came out loaded .357 Sig's, which fed and fired like any other .357 Sig. I even have re-loaded these "converted" cases a few times without any signs of malfunctions or failures. This was all done in Para and S_I guns, where problems with feeding have been recorded (untill they were resolved L.O.L.) Now in the Glock ... which is known to feed .357 Sig marvelously, it will be pure heaven. :rolleyes:

Maybe by tomorrow or the next day I will be finished building my own .357 Sig Open Glock, based in the "compact" model G-32 and with a 5" barrel. The hunk of stainless steel used to build the Hyper-Jet Comp is right now in the milling machine, but hope to have it done in the next couple of hours. Since I am using a Caspian stainless steel slide that I had for a while (disguised as a G-23) it will be an all Stainless Steel top end. Now ... if only "CFC" would make a compact small frame in stainless steel ... (I'm drooling at the thought :cheers: )

First compensator that i did was actually 4 port from stainless steel. The gun just wouldnt cycle at all with that heavy comp on top of the barrel so now its made from aluminum and it cycles flawlessly.

Can you reveal some points that would help me to get it work with a stainless one, aluminum comps corrodes quite quickly so i would like to have long lasting steel one.

And yes do post some pictures when you get the gun finished. :)

TKJ,

A trick that I learned was to build an aluminum comp with thick wipers. If the design worked as intended, I would drill out the wipers and replace them with steel inserts as soon as they eroded some. The steel central core lasts a long time but does not contibute much the other overall weight.

Edited by L9X25

First compensator that i did was actually 4 port from stainless steel. The gun just wouldnt cycle at all with that heavy comp on top of the barrel so now its made from aluminum and it cycles flawlessly.

Can you reveal some points that would help me to get it work with a stainless one, aluminum comps corrodes quite quickly so i would like to have long lasting steel one.

And yes do post some pictures when you get the gun finished. :)

TKJ-

Most of the compensators I build are made of stainless steel. These are not "off the shelf" items and are "whittled out" properly. I have made "full size" compensators for Glock that cycle flawlessly, including in .38 Supercomp ... in stainless steel. There is no secret, just common sense. Most of the compensators presently available for Glocks are made of aluminum and of such thick walls that if constructed of stainless steel they would be heavy by comparison.

As Leo (L9X25) pointed out, "lining" could be done. In some of my earlier designs I used aluminum comp bodies with removable/replaceable stainless steel baffle inserts. All my present designs still use these replaceable/removable baffle inserts, but everything is made of stainless steel. It is expensive and time consuming, but worthwhile in the long run.

The item to keep in mind is the amount of barrel needed to support in alignement said compensator. This occupies space/weight, and a minimum of 3/8" is needed. The rest you can design for usefull purpose, rather than just "looks". You may need to remove weight from the slide itself, and the Glock slide has quite a few areas that can be lightened (if needed) to match the rate of the "balanced" springs in use.

Radical,

I glad to hear that you haven’t experienced issues with fat rounds when using you Dillon Die in 357 SIG I unfortunately can’t say the same. I use KKM Barrels which is why I go through that two step process I mentioned in my earlier posting. Regarding using 357 SIG vs. 40 S&W for an Open Gun to me it’s an answer in search of a question. From a reloading standpoint it’s a bit more work (Limited bullet choices due to Qglive issues). For those that choose to use factory ammunition due to travel or lack of reloading equipment it reminds me of 10MM ammunition not every firearms retailer carries it and those that do charge more for it than they do for 40 S&W. Magazine capacity is the same for both 357 SIG and 40 S&W. So while it’s nice from a bragging rights perspective I really don’t see the ROI in building one for competition.

This really sounds like an exercise to get a load together that provides enough of the right gas to really get the comp working and the gun shooting flat.

- Going with 40...the down side is that you can...at best...find 135g bullets.

- Going with 9mm...powder choice is narrowed a bit.

- Going with 357sig...you get to use light bullets and more powder

All of that is well and good. I'm just not sure if the (hopeful) incremental gain over 9mm in flatness is worth it ?

RP: Any specific reason why you started with a 32 instead of a 31, other than its what you had?

Both!!!

Yes, I had the G-23 already (personal gun with a Caspian slide), but I am also a Glock Factory Dealer, so I could have used any Glock I wanted.

I just finished building a .38 SuperComp based on a G-20 with a 6" barrel and a full size comp. Hey, now that one really is a big, full size Open Gun. So, I figured that just like the 19/2011's have their "Shorty", I might as well build a Shorty Glock! B) too. Yes, I wanted the Compact frame with the abreviated grip and shorter slide. The Glock compacts fit great in my hand, and the shorter slide meant a reduced need to lighten it. Just like in the .38 SuperComp, a specially built, longer barrel (5") made for the Compact frame was needed.

Yesterday was the 4th of July, and it was a perfect time to work on it. The Store was closed, and since this is a "personal gun" not for a customer, I spent the day in the back (machine shop) doing the last details on this project. Today, between customers and other projects I will put in the finishing touches: (haven't decided yet whether to contour/stipple the grip or not ...) and have to finish "hardening" the Docter red dot sight for final installation. If it doesn't rain too hard today ( and they don't cancel out) maybe I will shoot it tonight at our local weekly match.

Then ... I'll dust the digital camera some, take a few pictures and try posting at least one.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

TKJ:

Post a pic of your new open blaster when it's complete!

Well, it is finally finished and tested-

I am attaching a photo below showing the completed Open Glock in .357 Sig.

For comparison I included two other Open guns in the picture. The front one is the Glock 23/32 in .357 Sig with a Burris Fast Fire red dot. The middle gun is a Glock 20 in .38 Supercomp with a Docter red dot sight. And, the rear gun is a SVI/Infinity in 9mm Major with a C-More.

OpenGlock002.jpg

Nice job Venry. Are both the Glocks for Joe the Lawyer?? What magwell did you use?

Kinda sad to but I just sold my HawleyCustom/KKM/GramsEngDocterSight gun to a former Marine who shoots with us now. Took a long time to part with it but, same reason as I let the Caspian go to a good home: at least now someone will shoot it a lot & have fun with it.

post-354-1184110109.jpg post-354-1184110122.jpg

Be very cool if my Ti comp 9Major and your 357sig and 38supercomp could all shoot on the same squad some time. Like maybe at Frostproof? That would make for a cool video right there.

Venry, VERY cool guns!! I am interested in the gizmo on those guns that keeps the slide out of your hand, looks like it might make a shelf for your thumb too? I'd like to see more pictures of those guns!

Do you think the .357 makes a better round for the open Glock or does it really matter at all?

Scott-

Hmmm!!!!

IMHO I think and am convinced that the .357 Sig does make a better choice over the .40 S&W for Open, whether on Glock or otherwise. For many reasons as has been posted here. As for: "does it really matter at all?" ... It all depends on what you are looking to get as a final result, after "fairly" checking out the options available, but keep on mind that this is a study/comparison only between the .357 Sig and the .40 S&W. It is nice to have viable alternatives.

Eric-

The Glock 20 in .38 Supercomp is for "Joe the Lawyer". The Glock 23/32 in .357 Sig is for me!! :D Both Glocks are wearing "brass" magwells from Glockmeister. As for getting all these Open Glocks "date each other" at a match ... it could happen.

HSMITH-

That contraption attached to the frame is made by Smart Lock, Inc. (www.smartlock.com) in Canada. It is their new "Thumb Rest" Competition 2 model, and it works great. They also make one for the Springfield Armory XD. Call "Sandy" at Smartlock and tell him I sent you ... More pictures??? we'll see ...