Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Problem

sniperdog

I just mounted a Leupold Mk 4 MR/T 1.5 - 5 on my flattop AR using a LaRue SPR-S mount. With the scope bottomed out it is still 4" high at 100 yds. Do I have a bad scope , mount, or is it something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may be the receiver on your rifle. You can buy mounts with additional MOA built in. I don't have a scope like yours to check. If somebody on the Forum has one see if thiers will adjust enough. You may also want to try another scope ( with approximately the same range of adjustment) to check the receiver of your rifle also.

It may be the receiver on your rifle. You can buy mounts with additional MOA built in. I don't have a scope like yours to check. If somebody on the Forum has one see if thiers will adjust enough. You may also want to try another scope ( with approximately the same range of adjustment) to check the receiver of your rifle also.

I originally had a Leupold 3.5 -10 MR/T on this rifle and it worked just fine. The only change is that I had only rings for it not the complete mount.

I don't know about how the LaRue is built, but the one piece Armalite mount has about half the cross bolt that tightens the clamp to the picatiny rail exposed on the bottom of the mount, If the front bolt isn't in a groove on the receiver it will really throw off the scope as the front is way too high. I noticed this when I was mounting a Meopta. I had to run the Armalite mount ALL the way forward and there was no notch in the upper where the mount had to go. The bolt was sitting on top of the reciever not in a notch. A few minutes with a hacksaw and file and I was in business. Might be something to check. Let me know. KURTM

Edited by kurtm

I don't know about how the LaRue is built, but the one piece Armalite mount has about half the cross bolt that tightens the clamp to the picatiny rail exposed on the bottom of the mount, If the front bolt isn't in a groove on the receiver it will really throw off the scope as the front is way too high. I noticed this when I was mounting a Meopta. I had to run the Armalite mount ALL the way forward and there was no notch in the upper where the mount had to go. The bolt was sitting on top of the reciever not in a notch. A few minutes with a hacksaw and file and I was in business. Might be something to check. Let me know. KURTM

Thanks for the info I will give it a try first of the week and let you know.

Have you checked that the dogs in the bottom of the SPR mount fully seat into the slots on your picatinny rail? I bought an SPR mount about a month ago and was easily able to zero a Meopta on my AR just by centering the reticle in the scope. I have a tough time believing the scope is bad, but stranger things have happened...

I'm not sure if it's possible to mismatch the ring pairs, but you might check that too.

Failing that, call Larue. Those guys really know their sh*t. I was totally impressed at their ability to give straight answers. There was no "uhh...well...I think the Meopta will work with that mount...." It was, "Buy this one and it will work." Okie dokey. That works for me.

:)

Edited by EricW

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful advice but it boiled down to a dumb attack on my part. The fine folks at Larue helped me to get this problem fixed. I forgot that the turrents have zero stops built into them and that is why it would not adjust down any more. LaRue folks told me to remove the turrents and I should have plenty of adjustment left, tried it and they are right. The scope is dead on a 100 yards and the BDC is working just fine. Can't say enough about the help I got from LaRue Tactical, one of the few companies left that deliver outstanding customer service.