Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Major Load using Longshot

bobbyblaze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YIKES!! Just had a chance to run some of my MG 121's over the chrono and I need to back down my Longshot load. 7.6 grains was giving velocities in the 1460fps range out of my 5.5 inch non-holed barrel with an old school comp on the end. lol

Joe W.

YIKES!! Just had a chance to run some of my MG 121's over the chrono and I need to back down my Longshot load. 7.6 grains was giving velocities in the 1460fps range out of my 5.5 inch non-holed barrel with an old school comp on the end. lol

Joe W.

Joe.....what is your OAL? Do you have any barrel porting?

gotcha, I suspect the chrono I was using might be running a little fast thanks to stray light from overhead lights. I was using a friend CED chrono with the IR kit but there is always an outside chance of the lights causing an issue.

Anyway, I am running an old school STI barrel with their early comp, no popple holes. Load data below:

Montana Gold 121 IFP

Winchester brass

Winchester Small Rifle Primers

7.6 grains of Longshot

1.250 OAL

Hope that is some help.

Joe W.

gotcha, I suspect the chrono I was using might be running a little fast thanks to stray light from overhead lights. I was using a friend CED chrono with the IR kit but there is always an outside chance of the lights causing an issue.

Anyway, I am running an old school STI barrel with their early comp, no popple holes. Load data below:

Montana Gold 121 IFP

Winchester brass

Winchester Small Rifle Primers

7.6 grains of Longshot

1.250 OAL

Hope that is some help.

Joe W.

Based upon my testing I'd say your findings are accurate. With a similar set up (no barrel holes) 7.5 grains of Longshot with the same OAL as you gives me a 172 power factor. I didn't chrono a 7.6 load but I would estimate it would come in around the same velocity/PF as what you found above.

• 1 month later...

I've been running 7.3 grains of Longshot lately, at a Level II match last weekend it chrono'd at 168 PF. The only problem is I've been getting some primer flattening and had 3 perforated primers in 150 rounds, all with Winchester Small Pistol primers. I'll be trying some WSR primers next and working up a load with them.

Edited by 96Brigadier

96Brigadier, I run 7.4 of Longshot in my .38 Super with Winchester Small Rifle primers and have never had a problem with flow or pierced primers in more than 15,000 rounds. Give them a try and I bet your issues clear up.

Joe W.

I tried 200 rounds with small rifle primers, no issues what-so-ever with the primers. One thing I didn't mention before that I'm curious to get some respones on:

With brand new starline brass, after loading ~1000 rounds twice I had two split cases. i.e. brand new brass, load, shoot, load again, shoot, 2 split cases in the second go around. Any thoughts on that? I wasn't expecting to have any split cases that quickly.

96Brigadier, my first guess is you might be overworking your brass on the belling station maybe? I have been shooting Longshot for years and in my Super I have a batch of brass that has been through the gun 8 times without any splits and no lose primers. And all of those have been loaded with Berry's which require more of a bell to the case mouth to prevent cutting through the plating on the bullets.

Let us know if you can figure out the reason for your split cases.

Joe W.

96Brigadier, my first guess is you might be overworking your brass on the belling station maybe? I have been shooting Longshot for years and in my Super I have a batch of brass that has been through the gun 8 times without any splits and no lose primers. And all of those have been loaded with Berry's which require more of a bell to the case mouth to prevent cutting through the plating on the bullets.

Let us know if you can figure out the reason for your split cases.

Joe W.

Joe,

I had someone else make the same comment to me. I don't bell the case much at all, if anything I under bell them (if that's possible). The bell was about .378 which is effectively next to none, with that amount on my 650 I have to hold the bullet on top as I raise the shell plate or it sometimes tips over. Do you think it's possible to "under bell" and stress the case just as someone would if they over belled it? I just increased the bell to .385 (it was suggested to me that the bell should be between .386-.388).

I hope I get to the bottom of this quickly, I just pulled about 150 rounds out of the tumbler and found another split case. That makes 3 now.

Edited by 96Brigadier

I've been running 124 Plated Raniers with 8.3 of Longshot in Armscor 38 Supercomp brass. OAL of 1.25. I get a median PF of about 170.

I'm using a Gold Team Tangfolio with V-8 holes and a comp.

I don't use Longshoot but if somebody is overworking his brass then it's me, using a Kiss to set the bullet the bevel is a little more then normal, and I resize ALL my brass between reloading....now having said that I never split a Starline case.....but I split a bunch of Amscor hence the reason I don't use them anymore.

I load 4756 with 115gr MG JHP about 1470fps

Edited by dansy

Another thought I had (hoping I'm not taking this thread off topic too much) - the brass was brand new, I figured with carbide dies I did not need to lube the brass so I didn't. I found when it went into the powder drop/bell station it would stick really bad and I would have to pull pretty hard to pop the brass out of the die. It was only like that the first time loading, after that it was better. Is it normal for it to be sticking in that die with brand new brass? Should I have lubed it? Does anyone think that could have weakened the brass?

Steve

are you using a case feeder? if so give them a little shot of case lube. i have used both Dillon's and BDX's. the only thing is that afterwards i tumble my rounds for awhile to remove the case lube. Let me know if you need some case lube i probably have an extra bottle around here somewhere and i could bring to strathmore with the 500 rounds.

96Brigadier I have a feeling that your brass might be sticking in the sizing die because of a burr around the mouth of the brass that is common in brand new brass. I tumble mine for a few hours in corncob with a NuFinish/Mineral spirits mix and it usually knocks the burr down enough to not cause any problems. You might also want to pull the belling stem out and check it for burrs. I pulled mine and turned it down just a touch then polished it and that helped me with any brass sticking.

Something else you might do is contact Starline and see if there has been a bad batch of brass that has been cracking more than other batches. I don't think it is the powder or bullets you are using, that leaves the way you reload and the brass itself. You might try adding a little more bell as well.

Joe W.

Steve

are you using a case feeder? if so give them a little shot of case lube. i have used both Dillon's and BDX's. the only thing is that afterwards i tumble my rounds for awhile to remove the case lube. Let me know if you need some case lube i probably have an extra bottle around here somewhere and i could bring to strathmore with the 500 rounds.

Walter,

Yes, I'm using a case feed for my 650. I have a container of Dillon lube, when I start loading some new brass again I'll give that a try. At least I have some brass i won't mind losing at Provincials and Canadian Nationals :rolleyes:

Joe,

I'll take a look at my new brass and tumble it before hand to see if that helps too, and check out the die for burrs too.

Thanks for the tips guys,

Steve

Edited by 96Brigadier

• 5 months later...

Steve, maybe check your chamber dimension and compare it to other 38 super shooters and see what you come up with. If the dimension is larger the case will expand more. I should check my STI and see what mine is for a comparison. I have never had a split case when using new Starline brass. I use the Dillon Rapid Polish and tumble my brass each time before reloading. Starline is a bit tougher to reload I find when resizing but never sticky.

longshot worked great in my major 9mm...i think it was harder to come by than HS6 is why is stopped shooting it though..

harmon

BTW, it was LOUD, i mean F-in LOUD in my gun

Harmon, I think you have sensitive ears :) I shoot longshot and don't find it any louder than any other load I have used in the past

Steve, maybe check your chamber dimension and compare it to other 38 super shooters and see what you come up with. If the dimension is larger the case will expand more. I should check my STI and see what mine is for a comparison. I have never had a split case when using new Starline brass. I use the Dillon Rapid Polish and tumble my brass each time before reloading. Starline is a bit tougher to reload I find when resizing but never sticky.

I wasn`t belling the cases much, if at all. Walter suggested increasing the bell, since I did that I haven`t had a single split case. I've actually reloaded the same brass 5 or 6 times now without a single issue so if that wasn't the problem then whatever it was has gone away :)

Edited by 96Brigadier

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Has anyone tested Longshot for .38 Super Major loads? is it comparable to 7625 or 3n38? :surprise:

7.9 grs of Longshot under a 124gr JHP MGB is working fine in my STI Trubore .38 Super. Primers look good. Have not run it over my chrono yet.

Anybody else have good longshot data shooting in the midwest (sea level).

Anybody using longshot in a shorty?