Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Major Load using Longshot

bobbyblaze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it for a while with super. It is actually reall nice to shoot. Though it is REDICULOUSLY LOUD. I have never tried 7625 or 3n38 in the super.

Depending on what weight bullet you are looking at will tell you your starting load.

I used it for a while with super. It is actually reall nice to shoot. Though it is REDICULOUSLY LOUD. I have never tried 7625 or 3n38 in the super.

Depending on what weight bullet you are looking at will tell you your starting load.

thanks for the reply! I will be shooting a 121 grain bullet out of a hybrid 4 port barrel and a comp. What is this powder comarable to as far as feel in super major?

Edited by bobbyblaze

Not sure.

I was using 540 for a long time. Then all the sudden I could not get 540.

So I hear longshot was interesting. Tried it and really liked it.

I liked it a bit more than 540. It was a little softer feeling in the hand. Worked the comp really well.

Basically it is as soft as the old 155gr AA #7 loads, with the flatness of the 540 loads. At least in my guns with 124 zero's

I shot 8.2 grains with the 121 grain zero and Fed SP magnum primers for a while and really like the load. This load was 167 Power Factor in a full size gun with no hybrid ports.

I didn't notice it being particularly loud, but Harmon always referred to this powder as "Loudshot".

I was using 8.0 g of longshot with a 124 montana, I have now switched to the 121 and upped it to 8,2g of longshot. With 3n38 I am using 10.2g with the 121 and9.9 with the 124. I used to have a n340 load with the 124, I am not 100% sure, but i think it was 7.9g n340 over a 124g montana. Hope that helps...

I was using 8.0 g of longshot with a 124 montana, I have now switched to the 121 and upped it to 8,2g of longshot. With 3n38 I am using 10.2g with the 121 and9.9 with the 124. I used to have a n340 load with the 124, I am not 100% sure, but i think it was 7.9g n340 over a 124g montana. Hope that helps...

hey, thanks for the reply! i will try to work up a load!

I run 7.5 grains of Longshot under a 124 grain bullet with Winchester Small Rifle Primers. I am making about a 169 PF *the last time I ran them over a chrono* Mind you I am not running a hybrid barrel although I have heard of several shooters making Major with Longshot in hybrids and shortys.

Joe W.

• 5 months later...

I know this may be a bit too late to reply to but this is what I use for a load.

My gun:

STI 38 SUPER TRUBORE

38 super

Starline Brass

8.6 grains Longshot

115 MG CMJ

Winchester small pistol magnum primer

My PF is 175 (last match chrono result in October)

Dot movement can be seen as up and down within the sight glass within the confines of my cmore. It's a bit hot with slight primer crater but does not flatten the primer. Fairly accurate load but loading any more powder and the velocity stays about the same then starts to drop off.

fastshuter You are very right, as the charge goes over a point the velocities drop and you will start seeing a LOT of unburnt powder being thrown all over the place. For me 7.5 grains of Longshot and a 124 grain bullet is just right and the dot tracks almost perfectly up and down and doesn't leave the glass of my C-More.

Joe W.

• 3 weeks later...
I run 7.5 grains of Longshot under a 124 grain bullet with Winchester Small Rifle Primers. I am making about a 169 PF *the last time I ran them over a chrono* Mind you I am not running a hybrid barrel although I have heard of several shooters making Major with Longshot in hybrids and shortys.

Joe W.

I just tried your load of 7.5 grains of Longshot to compare against 7.3 grains of 7625. The Longshot load is much nicer, dot doesn't leave the C-More whereas with the 7625 it shakes all over and sometimes leaves the C-More entirely. I'll definitely be playing with Longshot more.

Here are the details:

38 Super Copeland Custom built gun

Bedell Custom Progressive 7-Port Titanium Compensator

Wil Schuemann Ultimatch Bull Barrel

Starline Brass (brand new)

7.5 Grains of Longshot

124 Grain Montana Gold JHP

Winchester Small Pistol Primer

Average Velocity 1403 fps

174 Power Factor

There was more muzzel flash from the Longshot, some unburnt powder was found in the body of the chronograph. The chronograph itself wasn't the greatest (Shooting Chrony) nor were the shooting conditions (overcast) so I'll be doing some more testing with a better chronograph in the very near future.

96Brigadier, if you are seeing unburnt powder you might drop a few tenths of a grain and try again. One thing about Longshot is that if you have too much powder it just won't burn it. Might shoot *sorry about the pun* for a 168 to 170 power factor load. The powder seems to be pretty stable when it comes to temp changes but you might double check with your chrono and gun to be sure. As far as testing in overcast weather, as long as it isn't really dark an over cast day is ideal according to most of the guys I have talked with.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

I've been shooting Longshot for a while now in my 38SC:

38SC

5" 5 port Hybrid barrel-3port comp.

WSR primers

MG124JHP's

7.7gr Longshot

1.24" OAL

166PF

I like this powder. The key with Longshot is to avoid a compressed charge. It seems that as long as you have a little space between the powder and the bullet, you'll get a good powder ignition/burn. I suggest loading to your longest OAL possible if you try Longshot.

I use Longshot in my 28 ga. clays loads. Needed some powder for my 9 x 23 Open gun so I tried 7.7 Longshot, WSP, Win brass, Zero 121 JHP, 1.21". Got 1370 for a 166 PF. Ran out of 121s, found some Zero 125 FMJ, loaded a little longer and got another nice load.

How hot is Longshot compared to other powders in 38 Super? I was at the range on the weekend and noticed the barrel was getting VERY hot VERY quickly. i.e. the barrel would have burned my hand had I grabbed onto it. Is this something to worry about with Longshot? I must admit I went through 100 rounds very quickly.

re: less powder, I'm going to try that in two weeks once I get my new chronograph (CED Millenium M2).

How hot is Longshot compared to other powders in 38 Super? I was at the range on the weekend and noticed the barrel was getting VERY hot VERY quickly. i.e. the barrel would have burned my hand had I grabbed onto it. Is this something to worry about with Longshot? I must admit I went through 100 rounds very quickly.

re: less powder, I'm going to try that in two weeks once I get my new chronograph (CED Millenium M2).

Longshot doesn't seem to be too hot in my gun. I think it's a cooler load than my 3N38 load(9.8grs w/124).

I usually shoot 200rds in a 45min practice session. Of course I lock the slide back while I'm taping targets and loading mags. I think this lets the barrel cool down better.

I did a little testing with Longshot as well.

Bedell Built shorty.

AET .355 barrel chambered in 38 super.

Less than 500rounds thru barrel.

8.0 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

125 JHP .356 Zero

Avg = 1384

ES = 48

SD = 14.2

PF = 173.0

8.4 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

115 JHP .355 Montana Gold

Avg = 1457

ES = 38

SD = 10.9

PF = 167.6

8.4 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

115 JHP .355 Zero

Avg = 1422

ES = 58

SD = 14.8

PF = 163.5

I am going to have to see about making some time this weekend to run some rounds over the chrono just to double check my numbers. The data I listed above is about two years old (12000 to 14000 rounds ago). I will be sure and post my info when I get some time to get them tested.

Joe W.

7.7 LS with a 125gr Hornady HAP at 1.245" went 1331 average, 166.4 PF in a shorty. SD was a little higher than I'd like (above 15), but other than that it worked pretty well and felt similar to 7.8 of 7625.

• 1 month later...

Got my new Millenium M2 Chronograph out today. Here's the results of my longshot loads. All of the following were with Montana Gold 124 JHP, 1.255 OAL, 10 rounds per load (see one of my posts above for more details on the firearm used). The temperature was about 48 Degrees F so on the cool side (anyone know if the velocity goes up or down as temperature goes up?)

7.2 Grains Longshot

Av. 1329

Hi. 1355

Lo. 1293

ES. 62

PF 164.8

7.3 Grains Longshot

Av. 1334

Hi. 1355

Lo. 1316

ES 39

PF 165.4

7.4 Grains Longshot

Av. 1369

Hi. 1393

Lo. 1338

ES 55

PF 169.8

7.5 Grains Longshot

Av. 1389

Hi. 1402

Lo. 1376

ES 26

PF 172.3

I did a little testing with Longshot as well.

Bedell Built shorty.

AET .355 barrel chambered in 38 super.

Less than 500rounds thru barrel.

8.0 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

125 JHP .356 Zero

Avg = 1384

ES = 48

SD = 14.2

PF = 173.0

8.4 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

115 JHP .355 Montana Gold

Avg = 1457

ES = 38

SD = 10.9

PF = 167.6

8.4 Longshot

38TJ Starline - new

WSR primers

1.242 OAL

115 JHP .355 Zero

Avg = 1422

ES = 58

SD = 14.8

PF = 163.5

:excl:

uuummmmm,

:goof: COULD BE GOOD IN 9X21!

I've been playing with Longshot as well and am pretty damn happy with teh results. 7.7 with a 125 gr zero gives me a 170 pf. Pretty clean and seems to be consistant as well. Like I said I actually like it a lot and plan on using it this season.

I have played with LongShot also and am very pleased with the performance it has given me. LongShot is a funny powder though it definitely likes some room in the case. I had to take my OAL out to 1.25 to get a consistent load.

MG 121 gr IFP

Starline brass

Winchester SRP

OAL 1.25

8.3 grains LongShot

1400 fps

Brazos Pro SX (Runs a little slower in 1390's)

IMM Open with 4 holes 1400fps

To me it shoots like a cross between 4756 (without the erratic dot movement) and 3N38. A pretty soft shooting load with very little, predictable dot movement.