Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Holster

I've noticed that a lot of 3 gun matches are leaning toward "tactical" or limited. I have shot mostly open, but I'm going to try limited this year. I have not paid attention to the gear used by most limited 3 gunners. I am looking for suggestions on holsters and mag pouches. I have seen some rules that state "no speed holsters". Can you use duty drop holsters with tie downs as long as the safety strap is used? Do you need that level of retention or will something like a Blade-tech do.

Unless you are shooting a club's "local rules" you can use your standard gear per the USPSA rulebook. If not, you have to cow the local "wacked-ical" rules, and any $5 holtser/pouches should work well enough if they are making everyone be "wacked-ical." Blade techs are good for what they are Uncle Mikes works well too.

Practice is the key to speed, not the holster, that is why I find these wanna be "tactical" guys to be wacked-ical wanna-bees. Some guys just change the rules to suit their gear and preferences, that is wacked.

Regardless, you want a holster that isn't going to drop your handgun when you run with a long gun or bump it or go prone, etc. (Some multigun stages have your handgun holstered, sometimes--gulp--loaded.) If you use a race holster, it had better be a locking one. Otherwise, use a carry rig of some sort.