Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being disappointed in competitors at Nationals

Sherwyn

We are shooting the Nationals.

We are surrounded by the greatest people in the world. Surrounded by the best of the best, great match, great staff, great range and scenery.

Maybe I shouldn't even let this bother me but I need to vent, purge this before I go back to shooting this afternoon.

Parking is a little limited but the staff are doing a great job of working with it and it was really not any kind of issue.

We were blocked in our parking space by an SUV. With a little help we were able to locate the sponsored shooters driving it in about 10 minutes. They indicated that they were about ready to shoot so I told them no big deal we would be waiting by the vehicle as soon as they could come and move it. Maybe all the time spent with the great people in our sport has allowed me to expect more but we didn't expect to wait another 35+ minutes for them to come and then not even acknowledge that we were waiting or even an apology. Luckily we weren't on our way to another stage because we were finished for the day but it did cost us an hour delay.

Contrast this with another competitor who blocked in the pickup next to us. He was driving a Porsche and openly left the keys on the dash in case it needed to be moved. In addition, he was watching and when he noticed us waiting, came over to make sure it wasn't him blocking us in. It is this competitor that I choose to remember and associate with our sport.

Again, the great competitor, staff, etc that I have experienced in the past have allowed me to expect a different standard in our environment. Yes, I do expect more from a sponsored shooter!!!

Yes I feel better now.

Sherwyn

Fortunately, 98% of the people involved in our chosen past time (sponsered or unsponsered) are the kind to leave the keys on the dash. I've parked my truck at a match with thousands of dollars of guns and equipment in it, left the windows rolled down, unlocked, and the keys in the cup holder without a single worry. We do not allow felons in our sport, and we do not harbor the scary. It's too dangerous and we shouldn't have to. But there will always be 1 to 2% that we cannot see eye to eye with. I keep a mental list of people to avoid, because we don't get along. In some cases, it's been as high as 50% of a group of people. In USPSA, the group is shockingly small and even the one's I try to avoid I can still stomache for a whole day.

Politely remind the shooter that nobody will steal his POS with a Porsche sitting there next to it and to leave the keys in it next time. Really, USPSA shooters have consistantly been the most honest group I have ever delt with in my 38 years, 18 1/2 ADAF, and 8 1/2 as a cop. I know they are out there, but I have yet to meet one that I think would actually steal something, and I'm far from nieve.

Sherwyn, I feel confident that with your wry wit and personality that you handled the situation just fine being a staunch Iowegan, giving the shooter the "look" that conveyed your, lets say, displeasure...... ;)

Hey, just remember some of the Pin shooters we used to hang out with...... :rolleyes:

Give em Hell and shoot well!

DougC

I'm shooting w/ Glenn... he's a hoot :)

I got blocked in, as well, yesterday... I had to get all switched around to be able to get down to the lower range. Luckily, ong45 and Dennis were able to give me a ride, and shred and Alison gave me one back to the top. I saw the guy who blocked me in later - not a sponsored shooter. Totally rude, though, and a big time PITA...

Unfortunately, with the parking situation being what it is, and the fact that you have to jump in your car to switch ranges in the middle of your rotation, I think its just a fact of life, unfortunately....

Being that there's 9 stages per half, and we shoot (nominally) 6 one day and 3 the next, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for all concerned if we'd shot one half and one full day on each half of the range. Instead of the squad on 9 going to 10, they could have rotated back to 1, etc. Then, the squads just switch halves of the match at the midpoint.... That would probably have solved a lot of this issue of having to get back and forth between sides of the range...

Sherwyn, I feel confident that with your wry wit and personality that you handled the situation just fine being a staunch Iowegan, giving the shooter the "look" that conveyed your, lets say, displeasure...... ;)

caveman_1.jpg

:lol:

-Chet

Sponsored shooter? Probably had to go to the safe area to work on his 1911-based gun. :lol::lol:

:lol:

(thank you...thank you...I will be here all week..please remember to tip your waitresses...)

Well i resmeble that remark (except I am not sponsored unless they are taking C shooters). Broke an extractor halfway through the float trip stage. T. Jarrett helped me out along with Derek at Millenium to fix and fit it with a new one. Nice people.

Edited by Sandoz

We are shooting the Nationals.

Contrast this with another competitor who blocked in the pickup next to us. He was driving a Porsche and openly left the keys on the dash in case it needed to be moved. In addition, he was watching and when he noticed us waiting, came over to make sure it wasn't him blocking us in. It is this competitor that I choose to remember and associate with our sport.

Again, the great competitor, staff, etc that I have experienced in the past have allowed me to expect a different standard in our environment. Yes, I do expect more from a sponsored shooter!!!

Yes I feel better now.

Sherwyn

Was it a dark blue Porsche Boxter?

I agree with Merlin, you found one of the few Aholes, when I was shooting the STI/American Handgunner match in montrose co. I would routinely leave my suburban running with the windows cracked, and doors unlocked, so my dog could take a nice nap. Most of the folks didn't know he was in there, but they would come and find me and tell me "hey trap, do you know your trucks running"

Most of us, the vast majority...... are looking out for our fellow shooters, or are very apologetic when we do screw up.

I hope you're doing well, how is/was the weather?

trapr

Anybody know where the guy with the Porsche is from???? I was already planning a few road trips this year ;)

Must be a little tiny delicate guy if he can fit in a Porsche..... ;)

Probably a Junior shooter, about 135 Lbs. ;)

FM

Thanks Sherwyn, it was my blue boxster and it was a pleasure to talk with you and your family. I left the keys on the dash just in case someone wanted the car moved. I'd rather have someone move it than scratch or dent it while trying to get around it.

At 5'8" I'm now on the short side and at 185 I'm getting on the wide side, but I have the seat all the way forward so that with my short legs I can reach the pedals with my feet. I think that the car is made for someone a bit taller or at least with longer arms and legs. :blink:

Parking was a big problem for me and my bad hips. It was a long walk from the end of the parking for Stages 1-9 to stage 1. I had to stop and rest a couple of times and by the time I got to Stage 1 I was about washed out in being able to move, let alone being able to move fast.

Made it back home from the Nationals.

Had more than my share of brain fade issues...will forget or laugh about them.

The competitor not up to our standards, well that is forgiven...might not be forgotten when a purchase comes around.

Anyway thanks to all for reminding me that incidents like this are indeed rare...I should have assumed they were just having a bad day...

It is all the great people that keep me playing this game. And every match is just a chance to meet more.

Sherwyn

Edited by Sherwyn

Thanks Sherwyn, it was my blue boxster and it was a pleasure to talk with you and your family. I left the keys on the dash just in case someone wanted the car moved. I'd rather have someone move it than scratch or dent it while trying to get around it.

At 5'8" I'm now on the short side and at 185 I'm getting on the wide side, but I have the seat all the way forward so that with my short legs I can reach the pedals with my feet. I think that the car is made for someone a bit taller or at least with longer arms and legs. :blink:

Parking was a big problem for me and my bad hips. It was a long walk from the end of the parking for Stages 1-9 to stage 1. I had to stop and rest a couple of times and by the time I got to Stage 1 I was about washed out in being able to move, let alone being able to move fast.

Yes it was a pleasure talking to you.

A successful match...I met another good guy.

Sherwyn