Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super to 9mm Conversion

Big Guy

I am thinking of converting my .38 Super Mini-stroker to a 9mm.

Problem is DP is not taking any orders for custom work until early next year. :(

Any recommendations on good gunsmiths that could do the job?

I understand most gunsmiths prefer not to work on other’s guns, but I want to get the job done sometime before next year.

The answer as a question: Who will you hold responsible if your conversion turns your pistol into an unreliable mess? It appears that the 9mm conversion craze is still going strong... unless you are a more than just a recreational shooter. I doubt any of the top ten places at this years Open/L10 Nationals will be shooting 9mm. Lets wait and see.

buy a new compensator and barrel and ask the gunsmith to fit it so you can use both calibers 38super and 9mm maj. dont do the same mistake i did (trying to save some $ and use the same comp.) i could have use 38 super on a major match and 9mm for practice. for a good gunsmith and quick turn around JVDYNAMICS here is the link:

http://www.jvdynamics.com/custom_guns/

Magazines are the key to running a 9mm major gun on an S_I platform. Spacers suck and don't work all that well. SV mags work great after tuning, and there is some middle ground between spacers and SV mags.

If I was a bigtime sponsored shooter I think there might be a slight performance and reliability edge to 38 Supercomp that was worthwhile at that level. For the other 99.999% of us I think 9mm Major makes a lot more sense provided it is set up by someone that knows 9mm guns and uses 9mm suitable magazines.

I wouldn't personally run a Super when Supercomp is available.

The answer as a question: Who will you hold responsible if your conversion turns your pistol into an unreliable mess? It appears that the 9mm conversion craze is still going strong... unless you are a more than just a recreational shooter. I doubt any of the top ten places at this years Open/L10 Nationals will be shooting 9mm. Lets wait and see.

On the otherhand, most of those in the top ten will probably be sponsored shooters who aren't in the habit of picking up their brass anyway, regardless of cost. Meanwhile, we mere mortals must either:

a) scramble for our brass after every run and sort it out from all the other calibers so we can reload and shoot affordably; or

B) shoot 9x19, buy bulk once-fired brass cheaply and be able to shoot it and leave it.

:angry2:

I feel you guys and gals who have the attitude of shooting anything and leaving the brass

on the ground are just wrong!!

I dont leave anything on the ground >I even pick up my 22 cal brass.

I build 9mm and have good luck with them but I wouldnt own or shoot one for myself.

You folks need to rethink shoot it and leave it on the ground unless you are at a

lost brass match.

Someone has to clean up after ya .

I slipped and feel a couple years ago at practice and drove a 22 brass caseing into

my elbow,it hurt like heck and left out of commission for a time.

ITS A SHAMFUL ATTITUDE SOME OF YOU HAVE!!

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom :rolleyes:

Hey Jim,

I don't think people really mean to just leave it there, they just don't have to crawl around for every piece of their marked brass. I feel that if I shoot 32 rounds in a stage I need to find 32 pieces of brass and that does not happen. If I shoot 9mm then I get what I can find fast and let the brass hog on the next squad have at it.

Howdy, y'all!!

I enjoy building Open Guns too. When asked from an ideally/optimum point of view what to build, I will recommend and propose a .38 SuperComp. For many reasons. None of these reasons will really negate or eliminate a 9mm Major set-up for consideration based on the same credentials.

Time and experience have proven the 9mm Major to be a viable, worthy contender (or title holder), regardless of the "lost brass EXCUSE".

Personally, I shoot a 9mm Major by choice, not because of lost brass savings. Have you noticed how the prices for once fired 9mm brass have skyrocketed in comparison to other widely used brass like .40 S&W ????

As for actual local or distant "lost brass matches" there is a sense of irrelevancy everywhere, where the only thing in common is the alloted time in which to shoot the stages/match and move on, along with any "real time" available to actually pick-up brass whether by desire, need or choice. At my main local Club here in Florida we shoot most of our matches at night time, and have a time limit in which to set up, shoot, pick up and vacate the premises before the lights are turned off. While picking up brass is greatly encouraged by the Club's B.O.D. it is almost impossible to do. Although some prevail at it by "forcefully" injecting it into their schedule by either arriving early to pick up brass from the previous week or gleaning what they can before they are thrown out when the light go off. These circumstances apply regardless of your choice of brass.

Where the choice of picking up brass is available mostly is at practice sessions, especially indoor ranges. Then I always pick up my brass (and he, he, some of others :rolleyes: ) regardless of the caliber preferred.

Of course, there is always that first "initial cost" advantage when you are using 9mm Major whether it is new brass or "once fired" availability.

I really like 9 major. I am still a brass hound and pick up everything I can. I like how flat 9 major shoots and its very easy to load once you get the formula correct. I have two open guns 1 9 and 1 38 super, the super already has a date to get converted to 9

Hmm, bending over and trying to pick out my marked brass from everyone else's between other shooters running through a stage (which takes me out of helping pasting for at least one run, BTW), or just helping to clean up after the match sweeping up all the brass at the end of the match to give to the store/range? Easy choice.

:angry2:

I feel you guys and gals who have the attitude of shooting anything and leaving the brass

on the ground are just wrong!!

I dont leave anything on the ground >I even pick up my 22 cal brass.

I build 9mm and have good luck with them but I wouldnt own or shoot one for myself.

You folks need to rethink shoot it and leave it on the ground unless you are at a

lost brass match.

Someone has to clean up after ya .

I slipped and feel a couple years ago at practice and drove a 22 brass caseing into

my elbow,it hurt like heck and left out of commission for a time.

ITS A SHAMFUL ATTITUDE SOME OF YOU HAVE!!

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom :rolleyes:

Let's get off the drift and stick to answering 'Big Guy's' question...

- Admin

I am thinking of converting my .38 Super Mini-stroker to a 9mm.

Problem is DP is not taking any orders for custom work until early next year. :(

Any recommendations on good gunsmiths that could do the job?

I understand most gunsmiths prefer not to work on other’s guns, but I want to get the job done sometime before next year.

When a smith switched my open sti steel gun over to 9x19 I ended up sending it to Jim Anglin because it wasnt reliable. It is now...... :cheers: It isnt rocket science to switch the gun over, new barrel/comp unless you can use the other comp. new extractor. Tune the feed ramp, and Howard nailed the mags. I have had great luck with sti mags with Grams guts.

Thanks, Jim!

Regards,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...