Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stewart Lewis aka HeyQuicksdraw

smokshwn

This are really sad news.

I "met" Stewart last year through this forums. I posted some pictures of custom guns made by a local gunsmith and he PMd me to see if I could put him in touch with this gunsmith.

I acted as an interpreter/messenger between Stew and Roberto for awhile. Even as this deal that was forming was cancelled for reasons that don't matter, Stewart was kind, and friendly enough to mail me a surprise! He bought and shipped me a pair of sunglasses as a token of friendship! :cheers:

I told him that I would send him a present in return, but, being the a**hole that I am, I am immensely embarrased and regret to say I kept "putting it in the back of my mind" until I forgot.

Stewart, thank you for being such a nice person, and I'm sorry I failed my word to you. Rest in peace.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences to the Lewis family.

I’ve had the opportunity and the pleasure to be in the same squad with Stew for a bunch of matches.

He was always smiling, had a good joke or two, and was a good person to have around.

You always meet many people at matches, some you remember, some you couldn’t even pick out at the next match.

But Stew was one of those few that you would not forget.

I can honestly say that he will be missed.

Ronny Duarte

A53492

Never had the luck of meeting Stewart in person, having said that I "got" that he was a great guy buy his time here on these forums and only confirmed by the many responses.

Those who knew him are the lucky ones indeed. The rest of us are just lucky to have had him around to grace the place with his presence.

God bless Stewart, and his family and friends.

Hopalong

Had the pleasure of living in the same area as Stew, and have shot with him many times over the past couple of years. I first shot with him at Central Jersey at his first match back from a few years break. He had some medical issues that kept him from the sport. Since then, he has travel everywhere possible doing wht he love - shooting. I'm glad he was able to do what he loved up until his last day. A very good guy.

PS

Does anybody know of any memorial service?

Edited by racerba

My condolences to the Lewis family.

I am very new to this sport and I shot my first match on May 5th at Guthsville. I was really nervous and my main goal was to be safe and have fun. I was placed in the first squad with Stew watching over me, giving me pointers about how to break down stages and such. Stew was really encouraging me, He made me feel really great at the match and I will never forget that. Bless you Stew!!

Words can't do justice to the spirit of Stewart Lewis. He truly lived life to the fullest.

Sharon and I were lucky enough to squad with Stew the first year at Ft Benning and at the SMM3G last year. He was one of those rare individuals who instantly connects with people. We were friends before the first stage was done, brothers by match end. I am saddened to hear he has passed.

Stew, may your steel always fall and your hits all be "A's". Godspeed, my friend.

I got this from a friend that also knew Stew. It is from his wife, who he loved dearly. Even at international cell-phone rates in Panama, he talked with her all the time; http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery/Panam...anama_Day_4_098

Its a sad day!!

Dear Friends,

I logged on because I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I am not a shooter but I was a shooters' wife for 11 years. I've known Stewie for 20 years. He was the heart of my heart and the love of my life. I feel like I've known each and everyone of you. Stewart would read me posts from this site, engage me in political debates (although I'd walk away wondering just what the heck he was talking about!), and filling me in on the day to day events of his Snipers' Hide friends. Some of you have even stayed at our house (I would jokingly tell Stewart that our house was a stop on the Underground Railroad to upstate NY matches).

Stewart passed away at 10am on Saturday morning of a heart attack. I was with him. He was lucid at first and joking every minute. When I told him to stay still he quipped, "stay still? you are the only one doing a lot of running around." He left me asking me to stay calm and telling me he'd be home shortly. Even at the end, he didn't wish to upset me.

But this time, he couldn't come home to me. And I will never hear his footsteps on the hall stairs again. I loved him beyond reason. I am a very strong woman but at this moment I feel as if I just can't get through this. . . . This is the saddest day of my life.

But two things I want you all to know: Stewart was NEVER as happy as he was when he was shooting matches or training in Texas. That smile above is sheer happiness, albeit masking a life of constant pain. And if there is a GOD then HE has made it that Stewart is no longer in pain. And if finding peace meant that I could no longer have him here with me -- then I will find some way to go on. He enjoyed each interaction he had with each of you. He left a match, anxiously awaiting his return. He reminded me everyday that shooters were some of the best guys he'd ever known. And I believed him.

I can't thank all of you enough for this thread of encouragement and prayers. Stewart enjoyed the camaraderie he found here. And for that I, too, am grateful. If you all believe that I made him happy, then I am here to tell you that so did all of you.

We will hold a memorial service in Wyndmoor PA on June 30 -- (around 1pm). If you can't come we can have someone read any message you'd like read --- You may email me and let me know.

He was an all around nice guy and enthusiastic about shooting, our community will be for the worse without him. I didn't know him well, but I think we would all be lucky to enjoy life as much as Stewart seemed to every time we ran into him on the range.

My condolences to his family.

From Stewart's wife. Posted on Snipershide.

Dear Friends,

I logged on because I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I am not a shooter but I was a shooters' wife for 11 years. I've known Stewie for 20 years. He was the heart of my heart and the love of my life. I feel like I've known each and everyone of you. Stewart would read me posts from this site, engage me in political debates (although I'd walk away wondering just what the heck he was talking about!), and filling me in on the day to day events of his Snipers' Hide friends. Some of you have even stayed at our house (I would jokingly tell Stewart that our house was a stop on the Underground Railroad to upstate NY matches).

Stewart passed away at 10am on Saturday morning of a heart attack. I was with him. He was lucid at first and joking every minute. When I told him to stay still he quipped, "stay still? you are the only one doing a lot of running around." He left me asking me to stay calm and telling me he'd be home shortly. Even at the end, he didn't wish to upset me.

But this time, he couldn't come home to me. And I will never hear his footsteps on the hall stairs again. I loved him beyond reason. I am a very strong woman but at this moment I feel as if I just can't get through this. . . . This is the saddest day of my life.

But two things I want you all to know: Stewart was NEVER as happy as he was when he was shooting matches or training in Texas. That smile above is sheer happiness, albeit masking a life of constant pain. And if there is a GOD then HE has made it that Stewart is no longer in pain. And if finding peace meant that I could no longer have him here with me -- then I will find some way to go on. He enjoyed each interaction he had with each of you. He left a match, anxiously awaiting his return. He reminded me everyday that shooters were some of the best guys he'd ever known. And I believed him.

I can't thank all of you enough for this thread of encouragement and prayers. Stewart enjoyed the camaraderie he found here. And for that I, too, am grateful. If you all believe that I made him happy, then I am here to tell you that so did all of you.

We will hold a memorial service in Wyndmoor PA on June 30 -- (around 1pm). If you can't come we can have someone read any message you'd like read --- You may email me and let me know.

I was lucky enough to meet Stew at the Riverdale Pratical Shooter's Matches. A real nice guy who was always smiling. He was one of the guys that make this sport great, the reason you come back after a crappy match, because of all the great people you get to hang out with.

Wow that is really really sad news. I never met Stewart, but I talked to him many times at length on the phone. He told me crazy stories about when he was professional magician. Whenever we'd hang up I'd always think he would be a great fun guy to hang out with. I can't imagine how much those that knew him will miss him.

be

I never met Stewart but we exchanged some pm's here. Sometimes you can tell a lot about people by their faces and smile. I found this photo of him in another forum: the face of a genuinely good man. Gave me goosebumps.

post-2776-1182287625.jpg

Rest in peace, Stewart.

:(

This is really sad news.

Stew and his wife visited the Netherlands (Amsterdam) last year.

Would have met him but the extra 200+ kilometers travel was too difficult to plan in their trip.

Merlin, Stew and I sponsored Spook in his quest to compete against Jerry at the Worldshoot

Oh man, what a pity... :(

My sincere condolences to his Family...

With Regards, Henny.

I never met Stewart but we exchanged some pm's here. Sometimes you can tell a lot about people by their faces and smile. I found this photo of him in another forum: the face of a genuinely good man. Gave me goosebumps.

post-2776-1182287625.jpg

Rest in peace, Stewart.

:(

Hello, I am quicksdraw's wife, Joslyn -----

I hope none of you mind that I have logged on here. All these things, these boards and forums are my closest link to Stewart.

As I wrote on Sniper's Hide, Stewart spent a great deal of his time talking on these two boards. . . I've taken the liberty of forwarding these links to Stewart's mom and sister. They are helping us immensely. It is so soothing to hear how much you all loved and admired my husband. When we feel we can handle it we read a few while we're seated at my kitchen table.

Some of you ask about a memorial service: it is definite we are holding it June 30, in Wyndmoor PA. Please PM me for an address if you wish to attend. All are welcome and it will be understandable if some wish to but just are unable to make it. You may join us in spirit. We'll feel your well wishes. I hope to have a celebration of Stewart's life and wish him god speed.

I realize I may sound incredibly strong but I am not. I cannot imagine living day after day without him. I am simply showering each day and seeing where that takes me. An unfortunately, each day is a little harder than the day before. Someone promised me that all that will change -and things will get better (they say) - and I am damn sure holding them to that promise! But at the moment, it isn't true. But in the meantime I read both boards, look at the photos you have of him and cry for him to return to me.

Please please please continue to pray for me and my family. We are eternally grateful to this community.

If you live in my area and you'd like to pay your respects, say goodbye, and celebrate with us. . .then please come, introduce yourself to me. I would welcome and cherish the opportunity. You will not be intruding at all. Just email me and I will provide the details.

Anyone who knew Stewart at all would know that he'd welcome another shooter any day of the week.

Brokenhearted but with fond memories,

Joslyn

I met Stewart in person last year when he was visiting Amsterdam. My first contact with Stewart was on these forums. He offered to financially help me to go to the World Shoot in Ecuador in 2005. I was surprized people like him still existed. I was a poor student back then and didn't have the money to go. Stewart believed it would be a great mistake if I didn't go, because I could end up somewhere in the Top 10. I went home with a Bronze Medal, thanks to Stewart...

There are few people who have impressed me by their kindness. Stewart was one of them. All I could think when I first saw him was: "Wow, what an incredibly sweet guy". And he was really funny too!

I had a great time with him and it is so strange how I have only met him once in person, yet his loss has really upset me.

He was a very inspiring and positive man and, although we only had contact through this forum, I will really really miss him.

Bjorn Dietrich

I am so glad this has been started here. I came from Sniershide and was told it was here...I e-mailed the USPSA to see if they could put something in their letter or site..This really needs to get out because Stu was one of the nicest guys you could ever be with,,NO BS saying this because he died..He would want to tech you anything you wanted to know. He was dedicated to being proficient in any form of shooting but he loved IPSIC and 3 gun..

We met a Quantico for a rifle class and were in contact. We were suppose to get together in about a month and I have been in shock and depressed for 3 days now. I feel like I lost a brother...

His wife sent me where the memorial is going to be...

I would be deeply honored if you attend on June 30 at 1pm.

Joslyn Lewis

1209 Claridge Road (cross streets, Cheltenhem Avenue and Widener Road --)

Widener Roads BECOMES Claridge Road)

Wyndmoor, PA 19038

215-836-7414

A landmark is the LaSalle College High School -- huge high school across from Widener Road.

Stewart is survived by his mother Patricia, sister Allyson and brother Mark. They, too, would be honored.

I am on Long Island and going anyone intrested from the area let me know by e-mail or IM...

I am also edpmedic at Snipershide.net

Please never forget how short life is and how blessed we are......

Edited..I know I am not here very much and have been shooting mostlly F-class, but my thoughts are always with getting back to it when my back heals...I keep my membership in the USPSA and my RO status also...

Edited by edpmedic

I was surprized people like him still existed. I was a poor student back then and didn't have the money to go. Stewart believed it would be a great mistake if I didn't go, because I could end up somewhere in the Top 10. I went home with a Bronze Medal, thanks to Stewart...

Thanks to Stewart...one of a kind...in my heart forever!!!

All,

My name is Jim Jordan. Some of you may know me as the guy who used to follow Stewart around at OB and CJ a few years back. Stewart was my best friend; in fact the best friend I or anyone could ever have. I knew him for over 20 years. I had his back good times or bad and he always had mine. He taught me everything I know about the shooting arts and even though you could measure my times with a sun dial, he never stopped teaching, encouraging, and putting foot to ass when necessary to help me improve. I never measured up to his expectations, but he NEVER gave up on me. Through him I got to meet, shoot with and even hang out with some of the best shooters in the world. They would likely have never given me the time of day, but because of Stewart, they took the time to try and help me improve my pitiful skills. How often does a complete rookie have JJ Racaza coach them through a match (or let you watch as he inhaled about 20lbs of chicken wings, lol) ? But I was Stewart's friend and that was enough for them. I know how that is, because anyone that was a friend of Stewart's was instantly a friend of mine. He was selective in his friendship, and if he valued yours then that meant that you were something special in his eyes.

I'm not big on crying, but when Joslyn told me the news, I cried without embarrassment. It was like a part of me died. I still find it hard not to mist up, but I prefer to concentrate on the good times we had, the crazy things we did, the fun.

Joslyn will be okay; she's family and I will be there for her. For my part I will try to pass on what he taught me to his brother and anyone else I can. I may not have his skill, but I remember EVERYTHING he taught me. It's not much, but I do it in his memory. I don't intend to let anyone ever forget that he was here.

Here's to my best friend, my brother...RIP

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

A nice memorial was held Saturday, for those of you who knew Stew it was obviously a real treat to know him. Some know and some do not know that this man incompassed many skills and mastered all of them from street magician, artist, photographer, long gun shooter, 3 gun shooter, and of course USPSA (even occasional skeet). The world lost a good man.