Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Side-by-side

Jack Suber

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I will give it a "shot". I grew up shooting side-by-sides. I had an old Fox and Lefever that I loved. I could not miss with a side-by-side. My house got broken into when I was in high-school and both of my side-by-sides were stolen. Since then, I went to over and unders. This year, on opening day of dove season, a friend let me use his Fox Side-by-side. I had my limit in no time. I could not miss. So, since then, I have been looking at buying one but not sure I want to get an older (expensive) one to use in the field. Anyway, I was in a gun store last week and saw a CZ side-by-side. It looked pretty nice. So, I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them? Will they hold up? Are they made well? I wasn't impressed with the Remingtons I saw. What about Ruger side-by-sides? I haven't been able to find one, yet, so I don't know what they are like. Again, I am looking for a field grade gun ($700 - $1200) that I wouldn't get "too" upset about dinging. I have bad luck with nice shotguns. When I bought my Berretta U/O, I brought it home and put it together. I propped it up against my desk and went to open my safe. Sure as hell, when my back was turned, it slid and hit my trash can. Nice ding in the forestock and I hadn't even fired it yet! :angry2: Any feedback, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jack

I have no experience with the CZ SXS's, but they are made by HUGLU in Turkey I believe. I would do some "searching" on shotgun websites like www.shotgunworld.com and others, to see what you can find on the "quality" and all that stuff. Google Huglu and see what you can find also.

I don't think you could find the Ruger in the price range you want.

Used alternatives like the Browning BSS or Ithaca/SKB might be worth a look. No longer made, but "known" for their quality construction for the price range your looking at.

Edited by Irishlad

If it is in fact built by Huglu I would stay away from it. Thier shotguns are junk and do not hold up. You will probably be better off looking for a used quality side by side. There are some built in Spain that are the same quality as some of the Italian guns and will not shoot loose or break.

Edited by Jaxshooter