Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Strong Mount

Hi guys!

Just received my strong mount for my 550B and now am having doubts if this is the 550/650 mount or the 650-only mount. I have read that the 550/650 mount raises the machine to 8.5" and the 650-only mount only raises to 6.5". When I measured my mount from top to bottom, it is only aroun 7.5". Is this the correct mount for my 550B machine?

Upon confirming that it is indeed for my 550B, any tips on how to install it on my machine and how to mount them on my table? Any help would be highly appreciated before I messed it up doing it the first time. Thanks very much!

The easiest way to differenciate between the 550/650 mount and the 650-only mount is the number of attachment holes drilled in the side of the mount.

The 550/650 mount has seven holes in side of each mounting plate, whereas the 650-only mount has only four holes in the side of each mounting plate :ph34r:

I just installed my 550 with strong mount. I advise first atttaching the strong mount to the press, then marking each hole through the mount and drilling one-by-one, installing the bolts before drilling the next hole. I first marked and drill all the holes at one using the attached mount as a template, but when I installed the bolts it caused the whole mount to splay out some such that one hole had to be re-drilled.

If I had to do it again, I'd attached the mount to the press, mark two holes on one side using the mount as a template, drill them, then INSTALL THE BOLTS AND TIGHTEN on this one side. Then kind of press down on the press to mimic tightened bolts and flatten the bottom of the mount, mark the second set of holes, and drill. Again the problem I saw was that the mount kind of splays out when bolted down.

Edited by Eager

Ok..just received the correct mount for my 550B. Do i need to put some kind of a buffer between the strong mount and the press? Likewise from the strong mount to the table? Or just install it directly metal to metal (mount & press) and metal to wood (mount & table)?

Am also planning of putting some protective wax on the mount and body of the 550B for added protection. Turtle wax maybe?

@Eager

thank for the tip..will definitely do that

Edited by foxyyy

Thanks! I guess putting something in-between will make the setup less stable.

By the way, my workbench is using 1" hardwood on top. When I bolt the entire press with the mount to the table, can I put something under the table to make it more stable? Let's say 2 hardwood strips (one for the front screws, one for the back screws) with a thickness of 1" to make it a total of 2" in-between the table and the nut under it?

Edited by foxyyy