Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

410 Clays

tightloop

I love my .410's :)

I have been shooting .410 skeet for years and don't find it much more difficult than 12 ga. I have never shot SC but what I have seen it looks tough with a 12 ga let alone a .410.

Down here in SE AZ I use my Winchester mod 42 in.410 to hunt doves every year and do quite well with it. .410's are a great challenge.

I too hunt doves with mine. Not a 42 but I used to shoot my Superposed skeet gun till this year. Just got a new BPS in 410 to avoid the wear and tear of hunting on my old Superposed. wish ammo didn't cost so much.

• 2 weeks later...

nah, I don't think loading 410 is for me. Hulls and set up are too expensive. On top of that, they are hard to load. I'll just suck it up and buy a couple of flats in the fall, that should last a good while.

I didn't know they made a BPS in .410? Sounds like a nice pump, how do you like it? Did they make a smaller frame or use the 20 ga. size?

I could use one of my other .410's but the 42 is so nice I don't bother.

Having more than my fair share of .410's I reload for them as I like to shoot them frequently. I was lucky enough to find a 4 ga. skeet shooter getting out of the game and I took his progressive reloaders off his hands.

Relodaing .410's isn't as hard (for me?) as most talk about. I sure like the way they "sip" on the shot & powder unlike my 12's.

Yes, Browning makes a BPS in 410. The frame size is very similar to the Win 42, so I guess it is smaller than 20 ga. I like it fine, but it is not finished as well as the old 42's or even the new Browning 42's. It is however a screw choked gun, with bottom eject like the Ithaca 37, with 2 pump bars like the 870. Very smooth and a good shooter. I am not too sure having screw chokes for a 410 makes a hill of beans as the shot charge is so small to start with, but I don't know for sure.

If your loader was bought from a skeet shooter, can you load the 3" ammo on it, or just 2.5".

I will have to look at a BPS .410 sometime. I like when the frames are sized to the .410. Oneof my other favorites is my 70's era 870 skeet. I know what you mean about the screw in chokes. I keep thinking I would like a gun with them but then I think why? Whats the difference in constriction from full to skeet? I will probably just adjust my patterns with different loads like I have been doing for years.

Yes, since I got the .410 loader (a progressive MEC) from a skeet shooter it will only load 2.5" shells. I normally use 2.5" shells for most of my shooting including hunting. I hunt doves near a cattle pond out near Tombstone here in SE AZ so my shots aren't usually long ones. Even when I have taken a few long shots I haven't really noticed the 2.5" shell lacking.

I also have a single stage MEC that I can convert to load 3" .410 shells when I want. I basically load up all the 3" hulls I have and that lasts me for a while. When I start to get low I load them up again. I tend to use the 3" .410's in my T/C pistol and the 3 Springfeild M6 Scouts I like to play with. They are those little survival combo guns. They are fun to plink with and I frequently go for walks out here in the boonies with them and plink. I usually end up shooting a few .410's while doing it.

I undestand. One of my all time fav hunts was at a stock tank in Sept on the edge of a maise field. Shot them with my 410 skeet gun. Simply amazing!

I don't think 3/16 oz shot matters inside 20 yds, but I do always shoot 7.5's at doves and 4's at squirrels. When I want to get nostalgic, I shoot them with my 37 Winchester. Had it since I was 10.

Regards

TL

Savage_Model_24.jpg

You guys got me to reminiscing...

My first gun ever was an Air Force "surplus" (I think Dad just might have "liberated" it), Savage 22LR/410 over-under. It has a cheesy, plastic stock, the rear sight has to be tweaked over to the left to get it to shoot straight, and it has an ugly, hand-engraved serial number on the bottom of the receiver.

It's still my favorite gun. :)