Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI/Para Mags

Julien Boit

One of my para mag tubes broke so I got a STI replacement.  It just does'nt run good with the Para follower. ;)  So what followers are working the best.  Was thinking about Grams followers, springs and base pads but I already have wolff springs and Arredondo pads, his red followers dont fit right.  Also how many coils need to be on the spring. Thanks for the help.

Jon,

Sti follower.  The factory para won't work. The SV comp followers add one round, but they have a tendency to pop off the spring. I use wollf springs 170mm and cut, i think 3 coils off. I'll check in the morning. Got a kid hanging on the shoulder now so I'll get back to you on that.

I use STI followers in my STI for para tubes as well.  They fit right in with no modifications.  There is a difference in the shape though.  You might want to check this out before you buy one or the other.  A couple of mine are flat on the top.  So the slide doesn't lock open at empty.  The others are angled on top and the slide locks.  

I also tried some Arrendondo +1 followers,  the small red ones.  They didn't fit and the vendor said to 'sand' them to fit.  I sanded alittle and before I knew it they fit so well they shot right out the top of the tube!!!  I called the vendor back to tell him how well I had 'tuned' the followers,  he laughed and said " just don't shoot 'em dry,  they'll be fine".   If your interested I could let you have them 'custom tuned +1 race red' Arrendondos for a song!!!  

I don't mean to butt in on your  thread Jon but I have a question that may help you too.  My setup;  STI for para tubes,  STI followers,  Dawson +2 pads and Wollf springs.  I usually only load to 16 maybe 17 for reliability.  Is this 'normal' considering the different profile of the STI tubes? At 16 the mags run flawless,  I only go to 17 when I'm afraid I'll run dry.  

[chiming in mode on]  

Yeah, my .45 para mags with Gramms pads and internals get 17.  I can get 18 in them but I can't get them in the gun without really slamming them in.

[/chiming in mode off]

-jhgtyre

(Edited by jhgtyre at 1:21 pm on Aug. 29, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can only get 19 with SV follower, dp pads and 11 coils on the wolff. (Dont know what the standard way to count coils but I'm counting on the front at the top cut to the bottem cut)

Went back and reread your post 40.  We are talking about the sti/para tubes.

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 11:05 am on Oct. 4, 2002)

• 2 months later...