Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight

jamxc

I like a .09" black post on a Limited pistol.  However, I like a tritium front sight on a carry gun and I've never seen a tritium sight that skinny.  I think skinny front sights give more "feedback" and are more precise.  I don't particularly like the tritium dot on my front sight in the daytime as I think it is a little distracting.  But I was involved in one self-defense situation that happened in the dark. Thankfully nobody got hurt but I'm glad I had a night sight.  

I have had no problems switching between guns w/ different styles of front sight.    

I think my Limited sights are .110" and .100". The thinner one seems more precise... it just gives me the right amount of daylight on the sides. Height is dependent on the rear sight. (On one gun I filed the front down too short to move up the POI and it doesn't give a good sight picture.)

I'd hate to have to aim in the dark with a black post, so I got tritium on a defensive gun. But I hate the distracting white outlines around the tritium capsules, especially the rear, so I colored them in with a black Sharpie marker.

My stock guns have a .090" front sites. I know Robbie likes them a little tighter - he usually shoots .100". I also like them just a little taller than (as perceived) the rear notch.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

For me, the problem with fiber optics is that they tend to "make" me look at the front site even less than I normally do (which is not enough), because, PERIPHERALLY you can see it so easily. I tend to look over the top of the gun instead of through the sites. A nice big square black site is no slower than an optic site on close targets that don't require much in the way of precision site alignment. Even if you are using a fiber optic, on a shot you have to call, you should be seeing the front site post "around" the fiber optic - so you are still seeing the front site as a SQUARE POST. This, unfortunately, is harder to do with a fiber optic than a square post.

The only time I would consider using, or have used, a fiber optic site is when the background between the targets is so terrible that you can't see your sites AT ALL UNTIL THEY ARE ON THE TARGET. Or, if the lighting is sooo bad you just can't see anything.

I've heard some shooters say their vision is so bad they just can't see a regular black front site. In this case, a fiber optic may help out.

I know you enjoy precision shooting - try this: (if you can) borrow a gun with a fiber optic front site and shoot some groups on a brown IPSC target, standing,  outdoors, at 25 or 50 yds. (don't put an aiming point on the target.) Then, do the same with a gun with some real nice clean patridge sights, and maybe even spray a little sight black on the front and rear. Observe how much faster your eye is able to align the sites, and consequently, how much faster you release the shot.

be

I JUST put a HIVIZ front sight on my Glock 35.  I don't think I will have it on my gun long enough to get used to it.  So far it has slowed me down.  I think it takes me too long to find the *body* of the front sight.  

When I first started IPSC, I used traditional patridge sights in the form of Les Baer's Bomar clone. Les Baer's sights are tight, even tighter than Bomar, with very little light on each side of the front post. Even though I shot all A's, (yeah you know the newbie...Master from PPC or Bullseye crossing over) I was too slow because I was shooting everything with what Brian describes in his book as a Type 5 sight picture.

I switched to a .090 front sight with a small fiber insert on my single stack and I went with a Caspian .090 fiber optic sight on my hi-cap pistol. The small fiber insert leaves me looking for the "body" of the front sight post on long and/or tight shots and it is slowing me down so I have been spraying the sight with sight black. I am going to put a .090 black patridge on my single stack.

The Caspian fiber optic sight on my Limited pistol has a larger fiber insert surrounded by a very small "body". The insert overwhelms the "body" and I seldom find myself looking for the surrounding metal. Of all the fiber optic sights that I have seen, this one is probably the best.  This particular sight has helped me to develop the ability to obtain what Brian calls Type 1 and Type 2 focus. I "notice" the fiber more quickly than the black and I can see it out of my peripheral vision. As a result, I learned to shoot more quickly on close targets by looking through the rear sight and beyond the front sight.  In a nutshell, I think a fiber optic insert is a good thing for PPC and/or Bullseye shooters who are finding it hard to settle for less than perfect sight alignment. Don't flame me, but I think a fiber actually erodes perfect sight alignment and it taught me to settle for less and shoot faster.

Now that I am comfortable with the Type 1-3 focus, I am going to switch back to the traditional patridge sight with sight black. The fiber optic inserts have out lived their usefullness.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 8:25 am on May 18, 2001)

• 5 months later...

I had a hard time deciding where to post this.  Most of the forums have "question" in the title so I picked this one.

Kudos to Duane Thomas on an excellent article in this issue of Front Sight.  When looking for advice or wisdom in the shooting sports I always make sure to read his posts.

• 6 months later...

talon,

Well I let myself get SERIOUSLY behind on reading all the old posts on this forums board. But I'm working my way through them now, about 2/3rds there....I think I can, I think I can. Thank you for your kind words.

Duane Thomas

• 7 months later...

I have the Ed Brown Kobra that came with night sights. I am not really sure what type they are, Novak I think. The sights and gun are not that old but the front sight is all dirty. I can't seem to get it clean. The yelllow is all grey in color. I don't want to use something that will hurt the night sight. What is strong enough to clean it without hurting it? Thank you for the help.

I'm pasting a copy of the Trijicon response i got when I emailed them about cleaning the sights white outline.  Hope this can provide the info you need:

--------

Dear Mr. Soliva,

Thank you for your patronage of Trijicon products.  It doesn't sound

there's any problem with the paint ring itself, so giving the sight a

good

cleaning may brighten the white again.  In addition to soap and water,

we

recommend the following products (these solutions can also be used in

an

ultrasonic cleaner for 1-5 minutes):

L&R Solvent-Free Gun Cleaning Solution (SF-50)

L&R Non-Ammoniated (254)

L&R Ammoniated (269)

Branson General Purpose (GP)

Break Free

Hopps

You will want to avoid any products that contain organic solvents like

acetone or ethanol, as these can damage the paint around the lamps and

the

adhesive used to bond the lamps into the iron sights.

Thank you again,

Carrie Lettieri

Customer Service

info@trijicon.com

1-800-338-0563

(Edited by mcoliver at 7:28 pm on Dec. 24, 2002)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Erik,

The plastic factory sight is basically just wedged in there.  If you look at the underside, you'll see a round pin between two "leaves" (for lack of a better term).  With an awl, you can just pry out the pin and pop out the sight.  If you're really careful, you might be able to re-use the sight.  

As for replacements, I think they all take a screw (and locktite).  These usually need a special, thin wall socket to install.  The good news is that a "socket" can be made out of a $.50 allen head screw with a little help of a bench grinder.

(Edited by EricW at 11:05 am on Mar. 10, 2003)