Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Auto-Disk Measure

Brand new to reloading, picked up a 1000 Pro (for dirt cheap) and am trying to understand the Lee charts to select the proper charge disk. Best way I know how is to use a real example: I'm loading 180 g FMJ S & W .40 to make major. Using Flex's comments in another post as a guide, I'll be using an OAL of 1.125-1.135 with 3.7 g of Titegroup and work it up from there. What disk should I be using & why? These will be going through a G35 by the way. TIA

I no longer have the Lee Pro 1000's as I moved over to a Dillon 650 but the auto-disk goes by volume.

If you do not have the instructions take a look here: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD2302.pdf

It shows for Titegroup that the .32 setting should result in 3.8 grains.

I had the adjustable powder bar for both of mine, it makes it possible to get a better weight that fits in between the set disk sizes.

The only safe way to do it is to check the chart for the disc that is suppose to throw the weight you are looking for and drop numerous charges and weigh them on a scale. Do this before you load any rounds. If you don't have a scale do not try anything until you get one.

I no longer have the Lee Pro 1000's as I moved over to a Dillon 650 but the auto-disk goes by volume.

If you do not have the instructions take a look here: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD2302.pdf

It shows for Titegroup that the .32 setting should result in 3.8 grains.

I had the adjustable powder bar for both of mine, it makes it possible to get a better weight that fits in between the set disk sizes.

I did download the .pdf from the Lee Precision site, and just wasn't too comfy without an example to go by (other than the chart with the two stacked disks).

That being said, in the end - I'll weigh it first. What's a good cheap scale?

The only safe way to do it is to check the chart for the disc that is suppose to throw the weight you are looking for and drop numerous charges and weigh them on a scale. Do this before you load any rounds. If you don't have a scale do not try anything until you get one.

+1

The data from Lee usually overstates the charge weight in my experience. I loaded some 147 FMJs the other day and the .32 cc aperture gave 3.5 gr Titegroup. Just what I was after but not what you want. If you're going to use a Lee, look into the adjustable charge disk. It makes fine tuning much easier.