Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last thoughts before the beep

Z-man

by eliminating conscious thought and opening my awareness.

I prefer this route to get me to my destination, in observing mode, visual cues give rise the the next action allowing "awareness" to grab hold, at that point I understand what it means to "just do" and it has become routine. Everything that does happen is a result of "doing" many times before.

......... I really like THAT :rolleyes:

I firmly believe that all I want to see ( and THINK about ) while shooting a stage ( and therefore right before the beep ) is a clean, clear image of an acceptable SIGHT PICTURE on every target. That's why I think SIGHT PICTURE. Of all the other things said above ....... SIGHT PICTURE is the one thing that remains constant through out the entire stage ..... my sight picture never goes away, or deviates from what I want to see. It never changes, and I like that.

Constant.

That's what wins.

:)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would Jerry do?

:D

Stand by... Deep breath and commence to slowly exhale while seeing where I'm supposed to go (first A-zone or gun, if on a table). Thinking the word REACT.

BEE REACT EEEP

The best results I have ever had come from seeing the entire run in my noodle as the shooter before me goes.

I ignore his/her run and imagine it's me shooting. I never listen to anyone's time and continue to visualize MY run, like watching a movie.

At LAMR, I run it once more, load the gun and think about alphas. If done properly it works better than sex panther. Every time, all the time.

SA

The Great One answered a question similar to this...

ASK ROB

Questions and Answers for week ending:

February 20th, 2004

Submitted By: TDean of Seattle, Washington

Category: Match Performance

Question: The answer to this question is different for everyone, I'm sure, but as YOU step to the line on a high-pressure stage, what thoughts usually put you in your comfort zone?

Rob's Quick Response: Confidence and focus allow one to concentrate on the shooting task. Comfort comes later at the awards banquet, hopefully.

Rob's Complete Answer: This was a very good question and one that really got me thinking. I'm not quite sure how to define "comfort zone". As different events require different skills and levels of concentration, I will have varying points of focus. What I want done will determine which state of focus I wish to be in. An event that is very quick generally requires execution without consciously going through a series of thoughts. I like to be tense physically, but relaxed mentally. This is not a goal but a by-product of intense concentration. Focus and confidence are more important here than anything else.

Take any stage at the Steel Challenge, for instance. They are all too quick to think through. The buzzer goes off, you start, and within a few seconds, you are done. You will only have time to think proactively about one or two things, if you are fast. Of course, if you are slow you will have lots of time to think. You must be very sharp and quick to be competitive and there is absolutely no time to be relaxed.

Your muscles work by tensing and relaxing. You are constantly pressurizing and de-pressurizing. This is not a state of relaxation. Do not expect it to be or try to make it that way. In an event at an IPSC match, I may want to feel a little tight. I am usually focusing hard on many things, such as the multiple parts of a stage. I know from my own experience that when I am really sharp, I feel a little tense. Many try to relax at this point, but I see tension as an indicator that I am focusing hard. In this case, being in my comfort zone is not at all relaxed. I require "tension" to recognize I am ready, making a tense state my "comfort zone".

Above all else, I find confidence the major contributor of being able to stay in my "comfort zone". Many spend countless hours trying to find a way or process to relax, in a situation where that is nearly impossible. Accept tension and nervousness as a condition that you can be comfortable with and you can then focus on the real problems at hand. The shooting test, not your emotional state, should be the center of your attention. RL

Is that the same as standing naturally erect in box "A"?

I think that would depend, "largely" on how you define box "A." :P

Bad JT Bad!

I found last night that chewing some gum helped me to bleed off some excess tension. This strictly from a new guy who was so charged up, at the couple previous I shot, I was having truble keeping the gun steady... hands shaking.

To this point my two main thoughts have been: Be safe have fun.

Edited by JThompson

I try not to think about much of anything right before the beep. The plan has been made and the equipment is ready, so why screw it up by overthinking it?

I usually smoke, so I make sure my cigarette is adjusted properly or else realise I don't have a cigarette to adjust if I'm not smoking. Then I take my hand off the gun, hear "are you ready" and loosely focus on the first target until the beep.

The shooting test, not your emotional state, should be the center of your attention. RL

That's brilliant.

A complete and total mental image of exactly what I need to see for the first shot served me best.

In later years I learned to combine that with the pause principle.

Brief version: Just as the sights are coming into position, mentally pause, just long enough to "feel the calm."

The "mental pause" isn't long enough to be measurable or observable. What it does is it allows you to begin fresh, with all your plans and best intentions, instead of rushing like a madman in no particular direction like we usually do.

be

Brief version: Just as the sights are coming into position, mentally pause, just long enough to "feel the calm."

The "mental pause" isn't long to be measurable or observable. What it does is it allows you to begin fresh, with all your plans and best intentions, instead of rushing like a madman in no particular direction like we usually do.

BE,

Is this similar to "visual patience" or is it more?

It included visual patience but it's a lot more. I'll put the text from the linked post here (with a couple slight edits), which will help explain it better.

I successfully battled the "tension at/from the buzzer" by programming a positive relaxing or "stabalizing" response, which begins at the buzzer.

Waiting for the buzzer - your mind is set, still, and sharp. Then at the buzzer, as the gun is coming into position, feel a slight exhale from your stomach that "extends," or runs from your stomach out into your grip as the gun is sliding into position. This stabilizing exhale, which is actually felt more as a feeling than an actual movement of the breath, also remains in your forehead, right behind your eyes, as is felt as very calm although intensely alert feeling.

You have to really practice tuning this feeling while dry-firing, then take it to the practice range, then into the match.

If that doesn't work for you, try a simpler version, which can be condensed down to the concept of "the pause." Right at the end of the draw stroke (before firing a shot), pause - just long enough to recognize that you have paused, but not long enough to begin thinking.

The pause allows collecting your correct intentions. Also use the "pause" when moving into a new position, or anytime may tend to begin shooting while your mind is rushing or not calmly focused down.

[added from original post]

I gave this calm, sharply alert feeling, which now, since the gun is in position, includes the actual perfect first shot sight picture, a name, so I could remember and summon it easier. I called it The Set. It was a complete and total body, mental, and visual memory of what the optimum first shot experience felt like. To learn what The Set feels like for you, hold you pistol in position on the first target (in practice). Now mentally scan and remember what your whole body, from the waist up, feels like. Include what your vision "feels like." Remember this entire, optimum feeling of your grip, arms, position, and your mental (sharp but not rushing) state, and visual (calmly, clearly seeing what you need to see) state. Remember it all as one feeling. That's your Set.

So the Pause Principle allows you to capture The Set before you start shooting.

be

Wow guys, some really good stuff. This thread is getting printed off. Thanks Brian for the insights. I like the idea of naming the state you hope to place yourself as it seems to work in recalling it. Just another question, how do you program a "mental pause" that isn't necessarily an actual, physical, temporal pause?

Thanks a ton!

For me personally, the programmed pause takes place mentally before I actually shoot the stage. When I'm running through a stage in my head I will definetely program small pauses to almost emphasize certain parts of the stage.

When I am actually up and shooting and I get to the place where the pause was programmed, it just feels more controlled, although not discernable from the outside.

...how do you program a "mental pause" that isn't necessarily an actual, physical, temporal pause?

Maybe don't even think about it as a "pause." I picked that word because that's what it feels like to me.

Practice remembering what the Set feels like until you can quickly summon that feeling. Then practice summoning the Set as your pistol is coming into position.

Mentally pausing, to me, indicates a moment in which my mind takes a look at itself. Like and awareness check. Since the mind is always thinking about something it's felt as a pause. When you consciously direct your awareness at your own mind the habit-thinking mind stops. Or the panic-rushing mind. To me how it feels to pause is summed up with: Pause just long enough to know that you have paused but not long enough to start thinking.

Practice pausing all day long. Find triggers, like flipping a light switch, reaching for a door, or turning a water faucet, and simultaneously pause into them.

be

• 3 weeks later...

Before the beeb, I take a couple deep breaths while clearing my mind of anything that doesnt have to do with the stage. I then vizualize a perfect draw and sight picture on the first target, trying to stay relaxed but ready to explode when the beep goes off, and right when its time for the buzzer all I think about is the actual beep so I am not cought off guard or feel rushed from the beep. Between the draw and the first shot I put one of BE's mental pauses in to make sure my aim is perfect. Having a routine before the beep is critical thats my $.02

Ryan

I turn off my brain. If I've practiced enough, reflexes take over. Maybe a few deep intakes of breath to oxygenate my body, depending on how focused I feel.

Works on simple stages, but I got totally hammered at a comp in Denmark, it had the most complex stages I've ever shot on.

But that's because I don't practice enough. :blink:

"Maybe don't even think about it as a "pause." I picked that word because that's what it feels like to me. "

I'm really glad Brian added this because I found myself disagreeing with him a tint bit and that always makes me nervous.

It likely just a difference in the words we all use to describe the same things around here.

However...

IF we are properly trained (we posess the physical skill to accomplish the task at hand)

IF we are confident (We KNOW we posess the physical skill to accomplish the task at hand)

IF we decide what's important (we KNOW that shooting A's at a..ahem... medium pace :)...is the path to success)

IF we allow nothing to steer away from what we have decided is important (we don't allow speed to compete with points for focus)

We will shoot the stage to the best of our current ability.

IF all that goes down as planned and we are dissatisfied with the result, then we must apply the previous ideas in greater quantities. (Lanny bassham calls this increasing the size of our circles)

We must not change the previous steps, but rather increase their size.

We must train more to improve natural skill

We must be more confident in that natural skill (which will happen naturally over time)

We must take on the self image of someone who can literally own any stage.

This is all true as I understand it. It may not be explained properly for you, but it works for me.

Then along comes Brad Balsley who doesn't know it's supposed to be hard...

I do know this...trying gets you nowhere except in practice

Thinking about speed gets you nowhere except in practice

Shooting A's at your natural ability tells you how good you really are, and if you're not satisfied, well you should know what you need to do.

Hope this helps...

SA

• 1 month later...