Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last thoughts before the beep

Z-man

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a very good shooter, but I know of something similar that works for me when I golf. When I address the ball, just before I start my swing, I picture the perfect ball trajectory for the club I'm swinging. There has to be something analogous to that for shooting. When I find out what that is I will be a much better shooter.

Jake did you answer it and shoot the stage strong hand only or what??? Oh wait a minute....I have seen vids of you shooting......you were probably done with the stage by about the third ring, unloaded, showed clear and with GM speed flipped it open and said hello. :D

Usually I let my mind go whereever it wants. Sometimes it is thinking about critical points in the stage, sometimes it's thinking about the enormous quantities of alcohol I drank the night before. ;)

I thought I was the only one, hungover last sat Idpa shot a nonthreat missed 3 head shots was so miserable i did not care, never again!( I hope) :blink:

A deep breath, and a smile knowing that my run will blow the CRO's mind!

I have finished shooting some stages, and found myself a little startled that someone is standing behind me with a timer in his hands :o

I honestly forget sometimes that there is anyone else there, besides me, my gun, and the stage! B)

Being one with the gun and the stage is paramount ........ as for what I think about right before the buzzer .... SIGHT PICTURE. Everything else is involuntary. Trigger control, grip, stance, speed, movement, reloads, etc. Sight picture is the one thing I am concious about while shooting.

Zman

Hard to answer the second question for me. I'd try and give a short answer - but knowing me, I can't. So here's my long answer.

First, the whole idea has been to execute what I've been practicing. So the idea isn't to think about any one thing more than the other because hopefully I've drilled it all in with dry fire and live fire. I'm not saying I just go into auto-pilot - but I know inherently that the adjustments I'll need to make while shooting will happen when shooting - not before and obviously not after. What I see will dictate whether or not I'm shooting well. Thinking any one thought prior to that hasn't ever helped me get there. I know that I just need to watch what's happening and things will work out.

With that said, in most cases there is so much to think about in a stage - where to go, when to engage targets, what to do here etc. etc. that it would be difficult for me to contemplate one singular component. What I've found in the past is that I give myself clues during the walk through that "prompt" the action I want to take. They are like reminders for me, so that once the stage gets started and I'm deep into it I know what to do because of X. After the first walk through, those promps click and by a third walk through I generally feel comfortable knowing how I'm going to get through the stage.

Sometimes in practice I think about something just before the beep. With draws I used to always think "crisp" because that thought helped me "feel" what the draw should be.

But in a stage it just hasn't worked like that. With so much going on I just get to the point where I don't think about anything.

J

For those that don't "think" about anything at the beep, do you have a way to get that focus or clarity (what helps you will yourself into that state)? Have you noticed a difference between runs where you weren't thinking anything at all (just observing) or those in which you are prepping with a mantra (like Steve's 2 Alpha, 2 Alpha, etc.)?

I do my best when I only feel the air moving in my sinuses on the last breath (I'm not kidding :D )

For those that don't "think" about anything at the beep, do you have a way to get that focus or clarity (what helps you will yourself into that state)? Have you noticed a difference between runs where you weren't thinking anything at all (just observing) or those in which you are prepping with a mantra (like Steve's 2 Alpha, 2 Alpha, etc.)?

Get you index and/or start position. Breath. Nod at "Are you ready". That nod is more for me then for the RO, it is where I let tension out of my body and focus on my breathing. I try to not hear the Stand By, or at least not consciously. Beep.

Or at least thats what I do when I can. Often I'm busy until I get to my run and it doesn't works so well. Sometime I worry if my gun is going to work. Sometimes I'm just kidding around with friends and I don't get to blank my mind. Its ok, its still fun. But it do shoot better if I don't think before the beep.

Thanks for all replies (both serious and comical).

j1b- I understand what you're saying. All the mechanics involved (draw, trigger control, reloads, movement) should be subconscious based on practice and repetition. Any time I focus on one, it seems to distract. However, I'm currently comparing two ideas:

1. Shooting with a mantra that focus's my mind on something (for example, "sight picture", "2 alpha", "smooth", "one shot per target", etc)

vs.

2. Trying to prep my mind to be blank and focused by eliminating consiouc thought and opening my awareness.

In many ways these two are very similar in that they both aim at focusing the mind with slight variances.

I have been trying something different lately in that my only thought is see front sight in target (my only focus is A Zone) squeeze trigger, repeat as front sight returns. Last match was 95% of available points when I tried shooting on the move when I didn't need to because my focus shifted to speed. Practices will now shift to partial targets only to improve the sight focus that it has to be black on brown before breaking the shot.

by eliminating consiouc thought and opening my awareness.

I prefer this route to get me to my destination, in observing mode, visual ques give rise the the next action allowing "awareness" to grab hold, at that point I understand what it means to "just do" and it has become routine. Everthing that does happen is a result of "doing" many times before.

What is the last thought that goes through your head before you shoot a stage? Do some people have a specific mantra or saying? Or do you have some trick you use to get everything out of your mind? I'm interested in what others have as far as rituals before the buzzer sounds. Seems pretty important and perhaps overlooked (at least by me as of late).

I don't have a mantra yet. I take a couple cleansing breaths while I load and make ready. Then before I get into my start position I quickly run through the order of engagement on the targets if it is complicated or if I'm trying something screwy. Then I concetrate on the first target and/or the first position.

I specifically don't try to tell myself to put everthing out of my mind because that has the opposite effect on me. If I get ready correctly then everything leaves my mind of it's own free will. That will make it stay gone.

Chris

Until recently there was more nervousness and disjointed thoughts.

That has realy changed for me in the last 30 days. Now it is...

are you ready?

1. Inhale - I am smooth.

standy by.

2. Exhale - I shoot all A's

Beep

I like that. ;)