Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last thoughts before the beep

Z-man

What is the last thought that goes through your head before you shoot a stage? Do some people have a specific mantra or saying? Or do you have some trick you use to get everything out of your mind? I'm interested in what others have as far as rituals before the buzzer sounds. Seems pretty important and perhaps overlooked (at least by me as of late).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the last thought that goes through your head before you shoot a stage? Do some people have a specific mantra or saying? Or do you have some trick you use to get everything out of your mind? I'm interested in what others have as far as rituals before the buzzer sounds. Seems pretty important and perhaps overlooked (at least by me as of late).

i keep it real somple and think of 2 things:

hearing the beginning of the beep to react:

getting set up to break the first shot, wherever that is.

... Some times it's "Oh s&*t, how the f*&^ was I suppose to shoot this stage?"

+1 I think I've got too much going through my mind most of the time. It only gets worse when I have an alternate route that I want to take.

Seems like Brian said somewhere to focus on relaxing the abdominal muscules to relax the entire body and mind. I don't remember the context, but I think was in the book.

Anyway, after LMR I exhale and focus on the feeling of relaxing the gut and pretty much keep a empty mind 'till the shooting over.

Kevin

I have a routine I always use when I step in the box. At LAMR, I check my body index for the first array and then set my index for the first target. I then load and holster. I focus my attention on everything I do physically to keep my thoughts quiet.

"Shooter Ready?"

Inhale, widen my vision from my first shot impact point on the target to include my peripheral vision.

"Standby."

Slowly exhale, feeling my breath leave until I have a half breath left.

"B"

Start my draw.

"eep"

And off I go....

For those that don't "think" about anything at the beep, do you have a way to get that focus or clarity (what helps you will yourself into that state)? Have you noticed a difference between runs where you weren't thinking anything at all (just observing) or those in which you are prepping with a mantra (like Steve's 2 Alpha, 2 Alpha, etc.)?