IDPA "postal match" is on

Jane

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2007 Postal Match

(Postal what???)

In January, Lenny from New Jersey started a topic on IDPAforum about the possibility of putting on a "match" in which people from around the country could compete without expensive travel.

It seemed strange and unworkable to some people (well, to me...LOL...) at first.

But as the discussion developed and people volunteered stage design and scoring help to make it possible, it's shaped up into something that many clubs may find a lot of fun.

The idea is that your club will set up some stages exactly as specified (as accurately as you'd do for a classifier).

After you've scored your own local match, you'll send copies of scores to the volunteer

(thanks, Walt!) who's agreed to enter scores into a combined match results page.

Then you can see how you did against folks from other areas of the country.

Check IDPAforum for more details.

Jane,

I like the idea and will review the COF. If there is little room for differing interpretations of the rules, it should work fine. If we can work it into our match schedule we'll give it a try. I'm curious to hear how this works for other clubs.

-Capel

Jane,

I like the idea and will review the COF. If there is little room for differing interpretations of the rules, it should work fine. If we can work it into our match schedule we'll give it a try. I'm curious to hear how this works for other clubs.

-Capel

Capel,

I like the way they designed the stages.

There's not a lot of the choreographed dance steps stuff that some IDPA stages wind up having. The course descriptions seem rather explicit and not subject to a lot of range lawyering.

At the risk of being labeled a spam queen :ph34r: , I've also mailed a link to the clubs that use my IDPA scoring software. It will be interesting to see the response this gets.

Edited by Jane

At the risk of being labeled a spam queen , I've also mailed a link to the clubs that use my IDPA scoring software. It will be interesting to see the response this gets.

???? they still let you guys eat spam in Ca ???? <_<

we'll give this a shot...looks like fun...G'

8:33am...this is kinda funny...my son just walked in and said...hey..look what Jane sent us....

tell you another way to do a self check on how the stages are being shot..is to take a digital pic of the stages and email them along with the scores...... B)

Edited by GmanCdp

I shot this match on Saturday at PPC and it was fun. The stages are as straight forward as you are going to find in IDPA. If you build them exactly as they are designed and run them according to the rule book it should be fair across the board.

I printed the stages today. I'll see if my club wants to do this, it sounds like fun.

By the way, I really like the course design presentation, what course design software was used to put the stages on paper?

DM

If either club does this

if my club wants to

I hope

Come on, guys, step up to the plate. Don't wait for somebody else to do it for you. Tell your MDs you will conduct the Postal Match and give him a vacation.

We are talking about doing this postal match at our club. Where will the results be posted?

Among other places, scores will be posted in early August on the Beach Bunny Software website.

(Please note... I've just offered web space. The other guys mentioned in the announcement have done all the work to put this together.)

Jane

I love this idea, Jim visits here routinely, but I'll see if he want's to put this on should he miss it.

Not trying to nitpick, but in the interest of keeping things level across the country ...

Stage one:

We used to use "baby" alot around here, and the local rule was a proceedural if you "dropped" the baby. What say ye we? If this is the case, then how high is a drop? foot? 6 inches? Remember, this stage could well be shot in a field (soft grass), hard packed/gravel, or cement surface ... (anyone shooting on a beach? :) ) so the point where it is obviously "hurting" a baby may be different from club to club.

Stage four:

This was discussed here a while back. The course description makes it pretty plain what is wanted, but I'd suggest adding terms to specify center of mass shots (heads would be misses). Thus .... (1-2-1) with two shots each in the center of mass while retreating ...

and ... with one required head shot and two required COM shots ...

Otherwise, you'll invite someone to double tap one of the heads .....

Jane:

We'll run these 4 stages at Black Creek in Mechanicsville VA on June 9. Since we shoot 9-12 stages at our monthly match, we'll add some more to go along with these.

I tried to get a postal match going last year with Action Pistol (the 4 Bianchi Events) but it fizzled. If this works, maybe we could do this on a regular basis.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Assistant Match Director

Black Creek Shooters Association IDPA

Mechanicsville VA

Again, guys, I'm just the messenger.

From the chatter here, on IDPAforum.com, and on the Yahoo IDPA group, it sounds as if this is going to be quite popular.

To keep it an "IDPA" match on a relatively even level (and to help keep Walt-the-scorekeeper sane B) ) , I've added to the match description the provision that only shooters who are current IDPA members and are classified will have their scores posted. If other folks shoot the stages with your club, they can use your club match results to see how they did against other shooters.

Agreed there's no reason this needs to be an entire separate match. You can have these four stages be part of your regular match. One reason it's limited to four stages is to benefit clubs that have more limited range facilities.

KD... you make good points. For the next postal match (surely somebody's gonna volunteer to create and score another, right? ;) ) perhaps it would be a good idea to post the course descriptions and get comments before anybody actually starts shooting. I'll point the guys who came up with these COFs to your post and we'll see whether they have any comments... but personally I think it's best to keep any "rule clarifications" to a minimum at this point.

We used to use "baby" alot around here, and the local rule was a proceedural if you "dropped" the baby. What say ye we? If this is the case, then how high is a drop? foot? 6 inches? Remember, this stage could well be shot in a field (soft grass), hard packed/gravel, or cement surface ... (anyone shooting on a beach? :) ) so the point where it is obviously "hurting" a baby may be different from club to club.

The COF says to put the baby down behind cover. I would say that means placing the baby on the ground not dropping it from any height.

OK, you bunch of baby-bouncing/choking/throwing/kicking dudes... :P

Ken (as Ken and Lenny put this one together, it seems valid to consider them co-match directors this time) looked at this thread and wrote me:

I did take a quick look at the Enos thread, but I have not yet registered there and as I am at work, I do not want to waste all of my employer's time. I will try to register and comment tonight. If you wish to post anything before then - the "Baby" 1) must be cradled in the weak arm, not choked by the neck or dragged by the toe, 2) the "Baby" must be put down, not dropped, and 3) the "Baby" must be behind cover and not exposed to any of the threats. There is a lot of cover, so it should not be too hard.

As for stage 4, the shooter must shoot T2 and T3 in tact seq with four shots and then shoot one head to each. The head shots order depends on from where the shots are taken. It does not matter to me if all six shots are in the head as long as they were shot in the correct order. If one reads the little story, and shoots in a "tactically sound" manner the reasoning behind the shot order should make sense.

Hello, this is "PPC Eljay" Lenny from Phillipsburg NJ that started this thing back in Jan. I shot the match for the second time yesterday (my first score, last week is my only score) and it seemed to go well with some one else setting it up. To answer some questions, don't be "too" rough with the baby, there was only one "baby" procedural but that was for making no effort at all to put the baby down behind cover, just flung to the side of the barrel.

Stage 2, no shooting over the barrel there were a few of those givin out.

Stage 3, the NS head must block the -0 of the shoot behind it when shooter is seated (the NS is supposed to rep. another seated patron) if the shooter stands to shoot T3+ T4 they should stay in front of the chair.

Stage 4, its tac sec. while retreating on T2 + T3 you don't know that the body shots are not workingat first, you wouldn't go for heads from the start, right? And if the heads are shot before going to cover, the shooter BETTER be moving. T1 should be shot from the left, use a vision barrier from the right and only heads count on T1, two hits in the body (it happened) -10 FTN

Right now I'm the second best IDPA shooter in the world, come on, try and beat me ;)

Lenny

Edited by PPC Eljay

Right now I'm the second best IDPA shooter in the world, come on, try and beat me ;)

Lenny

Bad, bad, bad Lenny :D

No scores (official or otherwise) are going to be posted until after the match's closing date of July 31.

Of course... if you want to modify your statement to say you're the "second best IDPA shooter at my club in New Jersey"...LOL.... ;)

Thanks for the comments. I posted some Ken sent me earlier on the web page.