Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti-Flinch Training

bountyhunter

I got a Ruger Competition Target .22 pistol for bullseye shooting.  It shoots 3/4" groups at 25 yards and has no recoil.  It will immediately show you if you have the slightest hand movement when you break the trigger.  I have found improvements shooting other guns after about 100 rounds through tge Ruger.  It conditions your hand/arm muscles to lock dead still before the trigger finger moves.  

One anti "flinch" training method that has been stated before by someone else on another post is having "Your Friend " load your revolver for you with one or two unloaded rounds in the cylinder.  And then you would shoot the revo.  You could reallly tell if it was a flinch as the gun would dip quite a bit.  On problem though would be if I had a squib load that pushed the bulllet into the barrel enough to allow the cylinder turn when  I applied preassure to the trigger.

Bubber,

On all occasions when I have had a "no powder load" it has locked up the revolver cylinder so it couldn't be turned because there was insufficient recoil to reseat the primer on the recoil plate.

Has anyone had an experience of being able to operate a revolver after a "no powder load".?

George,  Yep it has happened.  It is not to often but when things go right or when it goes wrong it can happen.  Don't get me wrong it is a good anti flinch exercise but at a slow fire rate, for me anyway.  That way you are concentrating on the sight picture all the way through.  Oh well enuff from me.

(Edited by Bubber at 9:16 pm on Feb. 12, 2003)

Quote: from George D on 5:17 pm on Feb. 12, 2003

Bubber,

On all occasions when I have had a "no powder load" it has locked up the revolver cylinder so it couldn't be turned because there was insufficient recoil to reseat the primer on the recoil plate.

Has anyone had an experience of being able to operate a revolver after a "no powder load".?

YES.  Maybe it wasn't a "no powder load", but it was so wimpy it only pushed the round about an inch past the forcing cone.  The cylinder cycled, but I had picked it up by sound and didn't fire into it.

Bountyhunter,

Did this experience occur with your .22 revolver?

On a centre-fire revolver a primer-only discharge will give enough pressure to drive the projectile just past the forcing cone but the pressure also backs the primer out of the case and this is what stops the cylinder from turning. On a normal load the recoil reseats the primer. On a rimfire the primer isn't relevant so the cylinder will turn. But you're right, the sound is a dead givaway.

(Edited by George D at 8:38 am on Feb. 14, 2003)

On Flinch Training:

I have also used the old "blind load" method.  I spin the cylinder on my seven shot 686 and then close my eyes.  I load three or four in while moving the cylinder then close it without looking.  It does reveal the flinch, but never cured it completely.

I found shooting a .22 helps me get muscle training to fire with no hand movement.  I think the differenece is that the "blind load of empty rounds" method is negative re-enforcement where you hope to not flinch and then swear at yourself when you do.

When shooting the .22, any hand movement shows up as group scatter.  As you reduce it, you get positive re-enforcement for the muscles holding steady by seeing the groups zero in.  I think it works better.

Quote: from bountyhunter on 5:18 pm on Feb. 14, 2003

No, it was a .38 (in a .357 gun).  I have gotten bad ammo lately from my reloader (he claims a bad batch of powder).  

bountyhunter,

I would suggest that you are having no-powder load problems. It only takes about 0.2 gr of powder for a squib load to drop the projectile out of the gun. If the problem were bad powder you'd notice a lot of unburned powder in the works of your revolver and in the fired case.

Shooting a 22 is like shooting an air-pistol. Their lack of recoil shows up faults in technique but I don't think it would be all that beneficial with the anti-flinch training because you not anticipating any recoil as you are with a centre-fire. I think your "blind load" method would be better anti-flinch training.