Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Dropping on Half Cock

Quigley

I'm having  a problem with my hammer dropping on half cock while dry firing.  I tried to recreate the problem during livefire but couldn't.  I did have soft taps at a match last month that I'm thinking could be related to this.  I checked the rounds that didn't go boom and they had only partial hits form the firing pin.  I was told "high primers" but I didn't buy that...I check my match ammo pretty carefully.

I broke the gun down and cleaned it and noticed something odd that may or may not be causing the problem...I bought the gun already built...it has the Tri Glide disconnector but regular trigger bow and sear spring...not sure why.

Any feedback would be greatly appretiated

Cheers

Quigley

I had a similar problem when I put a short STI trigger in my SV.

My recallection is a little hazy, but I think I theorized that the trigger bow was too long, ( though in hindsight it may have been too short).

I adjusted it by twisting it slightly with an adjustable spanner and the problem went away.

Sorry to be so vague but I hope I may have helped,

P.D.

This test critically checks the correct adjustment of the overtravel screw - Hold the trigger to the rear (against the trigger stop) while holding the hammer with your other hand and gently let the hammer pass by the area (near the bottom) where the hammer would touch the sear if it was going to hang up on the half-cock notch. If the sear isn't moving far enough to the rear, meaning the trigger stop is not screwed OUT enough, you will feel the hammer notch bump the sear as it passes by. You should not be able to feel anything at all touch or bump the hammer as you hand cycle it through it's entire travel while holding the trigger to the rear.

be

BE/2alpha   I think you've diagnosed the problem...there is a slight  bump when cycling the hammer.   I'll try adjusting the overtravel screw and see what happens.  When all is said and done, I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out as well (better safe than sorry!)

I'll post the results when I have some.

Thanks for all the info

Cheers

Quigley

2alpha, and anyone else,

Yes, since my latest head-blow to the pavement, I've developed the curious habit of leaving critical words now and then, in the last case, the word OUT.

Holy crap! In this case the word OUT as well!! What is going on here???

;)

thanks,

be

• 13 years later...