Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to Return to Battery

bruce282

I shot a local IDPA match yesterday. Used my G17, stock except for the 3.5# connector I just installed. Gun was clean and I was using Atlanta Arms reloads 115 gr FMJ. I have already gone through 250 rounds of this order in my G34 without a problem. During the first stage (12 rounds) I had at least 4 times where the slide didn't fully return. I was able to tap the back of the slide and the gun would fire without a problem, then the same thing would happen. Happened with 2 different magazines. Before the next stage I pulled the slide off to make sure everything looked OK which it did. Same thing happened on the next stage, then a friend let me use his backup G17 for the rest of the match. His gun using my my ammo and magazines ran like a top.

I cleaned my gun last night and took it to the range this morning. Not a lick of trouble. The VA state IDPA match is this weekend and I was going to use the G17, now I think I'll use my G34.

Any ideas as to what would cause this? The gun is about 2 years old with maybe 4k rounds through it.

Bruce

I shot a local IDPA match yesterday. Used my G17, stock except for the 3.5# connector I just installed. Gun was clean and I was using Atlanta Arms reloads 115 gr FMJ. I have already gone through 250 rounds of this order in my G34 without a problem. During the first stage (12 rounds) I had at least 4 times where the slide didn't fully return. I was able to tap the back of the slide and the gun would fire without a problem, then the same thing would happen. Happened with 2 different magazines. Before the next stage I pulled the slide off to make sure everything looked OK which it did. Same thing happened on the next stage, then a friend let me use his backup G17 for the rest of the match. His gun using my my ammo and magazines ran like a top.

I cleaned my gun last night and took it to the range this morning. Not a lick of trouble. The VA state IDPA match is this weekend and I was going to use the G17, now I think I'll use my G34.

Any ideas as to what would cause this? The gun is about 2 years old with maybe 4k rounds through it.

Bruce

I watched a girl have that problem with her Glock just last Thursday. She had a terrible time of it. In order to try to help her out, the RO took the gun and fired every round in the magazines without a problem. She was an experienced shooter, but apparently had a slight tendency to limp wrist the gun in competition. It doesn't take much to make a difference if your recoil spring is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My best guess is a combination if weakening spring and a slightly lighter grip on the gun when competing, but that's only a guess.

Lee

Bruce:

Since I was the Safety Officer running you most of the day, here is my 2 cents. I thought you were simply riding the slide with your left hand and occasionally pushing up the slide stop. The gun was slide locking. Not an ammo problem, not a spring problem. Get the right grip and all this goes away. Specifically, right thumb on top of left hand and totally relaxed. Also, cam the left hand down so that the thumb forms a straight line with the arm. Left arm a little higher than right works for me. A few hundred dry fires will do the trick.

You are shooting much better now that you can see. :)

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

I just diagnosed two G22's yesterday that were locking back with rounds left....

G22 #1 - Police Duty weapon: Slide stop spring was sheared off forward of the locking block pin and the slide stop was literally flipping up under recoil. Secondarily, the locking block pin had snapped in two. Department armorer replaced both parts. This was the 3rd or 4th time the locking block pin had snapped... Recommended that the locking block be replaced, but it was not.

G22 #2 - Personal weapon: Weapon locking back on other than empty mag... Slide stop spring end was not under the locking block pin. Removed trigger pin, slide stop, and locking block pin. Replaced locking block pin, slide stop, and trigger pin IN THAT ORDER making sure spring was properly located.

Both weapons functioning correctly...

any idea where to get the slide release spring. I had the same problem with a G-21 with a after market extended slide release (cost me at a major IDPA match this year). I replaced spring with one from a stock slide rlease and now problem solved. I replace springs on a regular basis, but have not found any source for these springs (other than buy a stock slide release)

Anyone know of a source?

Garry Newton

+1 on the G2 #2 above.

Had a buddy who did that one wrong.

If you have big hands the slowing the slide thing is

a definate source for jambs.

A sometimes overlooked problem can be the gun cycling so fast the mag springs

can't keep up and thus it tries to feed the bullet from a low position.

Hope you get it figured out soon! Let us know

"any idea where to get the slide release spring."

The spring is built into the slide release. It's really just a curly piece of steel that goes under the loading block pin. It is not available seperately.

HK Dan

Understand what the spring is and where it goes. The spring does wear out and especially in a G-21 will cause malfunctions. I have an aftermarket extended slide release on my G-21 and replaced the spring with one from a stock slide release after multiple malfunctions at a major IDPA match. Replacement of this spring resolved the problem. Even the big book on Glocks shows one how to do this.

The question still does anyone know of a supply to replace ONLY the spring? Otherwise I will order stock slide releases and just use the spring.

One often has to custom fit the aftermarket and/or factory extended slide release to a G-21 and I would prefer just replacing springs rather than re-custom fitting slide releases.

Thanks

Garry Newton

Thanks for all the information.

I do think it was a combination of things, riding the slide, having a weakening recoil spring (since replaced) in the gun, and on occasion hitting the slide lock.

Flex, first time I took the gun truly apart, I did the "slide lock spring ABOVE the locking block pin trick. Found out at the next match when the slide locked back on every shot. Good thing there was someone there that had been there and done that to explain what was wrong.

Jim, I'll see you Saturday. I'm using Tino's G17 with night sights to give that sight setup a try. And you're right, getting rid of the cataract in the ND eye has really helped. :D

Bruce

could have been you dragging your thumb or something on the slide causing it to slow down and be unable to have the force to fully chamber the next round. Just another idea i figured i'd throw out there.