Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety fell off!

SLM

A couple nights ago I was doing some dry firing with my Armscor widebody that I just got. I decided to click the safety on for some reason and it wouldn't flip. "Odd", I say to myself. I look down and the left side safety is sticking out about 1/8" so I grab it and give it a little push in. Nothing. Pull on it a tad and out it comes! Imagine my surprise. So now I have to find a 'smith to put it back together.

I think I'm going to get one with larger thumb pads. This one is quite narrow where your thumb sits and would be great if I carried the gun but it's a range runner only. Any other suggestions on thumb safeties with larger pads? Stainless would be a bonus as I think it would go nicely with the hammer and trigger and it needs to be the kind where the the right side is retained by the sear pin, not just the grip.

the best I've found that has the left paddle retained by the hammer pin is the kings. it's a royal pain to fit up, but it's nice and solid.

the paddle is a little smaller than the Ed Brown's, but your talking maybe a 16th of and inch +/-.

also I've never seen an armscor, but if it's anything like a para, a gunsmith should be able to trim the left side retaining arm on a brown safety, and cut a slot in the grip to hold it in place.

If you like a REALLY big thumb pad (plus shields so your thumb doesn't ride against the slide) take a look at a Swenson safety. I use them on my limited and 2 SS guns. I absolutely love 'em, but apparently some don't like the shields. I know you can get them at Brownells, but I'm not sure where else.