Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring Weight

I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a Witness Elite Match in 40 S&W. My question is, should I replace the factory spring with something lighter, if so, how much lighter. I used to shoot bullseye and we used seperate springs for different loads. I'm sure this isn't much different, I just don't now what the limitations of the gun is, nor what is safe. I don't want to beat my gun to death by using to light of a spring. These are the loads I'm using. Thanks for the help.

I use a minor load of

3.5 titegroup

180 grn xtp

major load

4.2 titegroup

180 grn xtp

The match with it's straight barrel is slightly (very slightly) different recoil from the Limited 40 which I shoot.

My loads are 180 / 4.6 of Clays, OAL 1.18" and I use a Wolff 10lb spring.

Here's what I make available on my shop and how I've separated the spring weights etc for various loads:

http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/eaa.elite.tuning.html

The match with it's straight barrel is slightly (very slightly) different recoil from the Limited 40 which I shoot.

My loads are 180 / 4.6 of Clays, OAL 1.18" and I use a Wolff 10lb spring.

Here's what I make available on my shop and how I've separated the spring weights etc for various loads:

http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/eaa.elite.tuning.html

Thanks for the info, I just didn't want to beat my frame apart.

What about the hammer spring? I my case for the S&W .40 in the Match platform. Go as light as you can and still have reliable ignition? What is the stock strength for both the recoil and the hammer springs?

Thread drifting is always okay :D

Art is right, no cone barrel on the Match. That's part of the difference between the two models. Match is more of a general shooter than the competition-inspired Limited.