Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot for a Glock

Paradox

In lieu of taking a $3,000+ plunge for an Open gun experiment, I'm tinkering with the idea of putting a Cmore on my G17. I will not be building an all out Open gun (yet anyway), just adding the dot and some mouse-fart 9mm loads. The temptation to turn to the dark side is there, but I want to 'learn' what I can from the dot for now. I already have a CR Speed holster from the days of shooting Limited with a G35. From what I have read thus far (yes I did search) my choices are the S&J mount or a Carver? I don't want this to be a permanent modification (this G17 is my Production backup). I would prefer to have a relatively low mounting height relative to the bore, but according to others I can run into ejection issues. I DO NOT want a slide ride type optic. So, what is the least painful way to get one of those glass and plastic thingamijiggs on my pistol? :P

In lieu of taking a $3,000+ plunge for an Open gun experiment, I'm tinkering with the idea of putting a Cmore on my G17. I will not be building an all out Open gun (yet anyway), just adding the dot and some mouse-fart 9mm loads. The temptation to turn to the dark side is there, but I want to 'learn' what I can from the dot for now. I already have a CR Speed holster from the days of shooting Limited with a G35. From what I have read thus far (yes I did search) my choices are the S&J mount or a Carver? I don't want this to be a permanent modification (this G17 is my Production backup). I would prefer to have a relatively low mounting height relative to the bore, but according to others I can run into ejection issues. I DO NOT want a slide ride type optic. So, what is the least painful way to get one of those glass and plastic thingamijiggs on my pistol? :P

THE S & J IS A GREAT MOUNT BUT TO USE IT, YOU HAVE TO MODIFY THE FRAME WITH INSERTS FOR THE MOUNTING SCREWS. I WOULD NOT TRY THIS MYSELF & SUGGEST YOU SEND THE FRAME TO S & J FOR THEM TO DO THE WORK. ALSO, YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO EJECTION PORT MODIFICATION WITH EITHER THE S & J OR THE CARVER. FOE EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES, MY SUGGESTION, DO THE SLIDE MOUNT. BURRIS MAKES A CHEAP DOCTER TYPE SIGHT FOR AROUND $175.00. CHECK IT OUT AT SWFA.COM

Yeah, a few issues.

The mount and fitting in the holster.

(A carver mount will not fit the standard CR glock model)

Second is the ejection port, all the S&J guns have been "opened" quite a bit.

If you want to feel/ learn from the dot, I would recommend a .22 with a dot. Shoot that for several thousand rounds to get your "target focus" mindset down.

Come to the dark side... the force is too powerful to fight forever. B)

You can use a carver "hunter" mount that just slides on your glock & uses a replacement pin to hold it in place. You won't have the ejection problems that require modification to your gun but it is higher off the slide than the other options. You can also fairly easily modify your CR speed to work with this setup by sanding the holster until the gun fits. It is a permanent modification BUT the holster will still work with a glock without a mount on it with no problems. The Carver hunter mount requires no permanent modifications to the gun. You can even leave the sights on it if they are factory height since they will clear the mount. That will tell you how high the mount is, by the way. This solves the holster & ejection problems while sacrificing the desire to mount it low on the slide. Two out of three ain't bad, is it? You get to keep your backup production gun without doing anything to it, no ejection problems, you can modify a holster you already have but it will still work for limited guns. Sort of a win, win deal to get into open pretty cheap. You can even buy a ported barrel made for a 34 or 17L & really be in business!

Good luck, have fun! MLM

The Carver Mount can be used with a stock gun and if the scope is in the full forward mounting position will usually work without cutting your slide. I tried my 17L this way before making the decision to go with a C-more and having the ejection port cut and the scope mounted in the full rear position. Unless you are using a Comp the full forward position should work fine, a Comp, 17 and C-more will require moving it rearward to avoid the muzzle blast, shield or not.

The attachment is of Blue with the test mount in place, a standard Competition C-more mount.

Here are a couple with a 17L, scope full rear position and a 17 Comp gun with the C-more in the full rearward position.The Comp gun has a prototype baseplate for the C-more, it's not scheduled for production at this time.

Blue w/full rear C-more:

DSC00994.jpg

The 17 Comp gun:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/fire...un/DSC01372.jpg

(pic edited to a link...'cause Jerry put too big a freakin' picture on here :) - KF)

post-679-1178839696.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney

FireGlock,

Is that a 17T (Simunition trainer) frame or did you paint it w/ Krylon or something else?

It was painted by Tripp Research. It's been through the rounds first with TJC and then me in GSSF. The treatment holds up well. The Slide has been painted by R&J Performance Coatings, it actually made the slide "slipperier"! I was using a Novak slide racker and it had to be "encouraged" into the slot and the same to remove it. After R&J got through with the slide the racker slipped in and out by hand. They offer the blue as well as several other colors for frames and slides.

R&J http://randjperformancecoatings.com/

Sometime later in the year I'll send the comp gun out to R&J for a little color. :)

Take a look at the Aimtech mount. It is ideal for temporary use, easy on and off, cheaper than a Carver, and pretty solid. I use one on my G34. The c-more will need to have weaver rail mounts, I'm using an OKO dot with weaver mounts on mine. A Glock front sight will clear the mount, but some aftermarket sights will not. I had to mill out the center under the mount about 1/16" to allow a little more clearance for my Dawson fiber optic front sight. I believe Flex will back up this mount as well. You can get it from Brownell's.

Aimtech Mount-Brownell's

Larry

Edited by LJE

That Aimtech is the one I have. It is an important distinction that you do NOT get the tiger-shark version of the Aimtech.

It mounts a bit high, but works better than anything else does with Winchester white box ammo (I haven't tried the hunter version of the Carver).

No need to mill on the slide with this one.

My C-more had a weaver base plate.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if Bobby could make a Cmore rail that gets the sight all the way back. Heres a picture where i have done similar kind of rail and its in the correct position where it should be but mine isnt anodized and it doesnt have a blast shield.

If that kind of rail comes available im definitely gonna buy it.

picture012xh8.th.jpg

Anyone tried the Glockmeister mount?

Glockmeisters Sight

That's is the same design as the THE. It mounts on the rail with only one side rail and the trigger pin as the support. They're very "flexible" and the dot moves about when the gun fires. We used the THE in GSSF and even with the pussycat loads we were using the dot jitter was bad. This is the reason the Carver Mount came about.

It would be nice if Bobby could make a Cmore rail that gets the sight all the way back. Heres a picture where i have done similar kind of rail and its in the correct position where it should be but mine isnt anodized and it doesnt have a blast shield.

If that kind of rail comes available im definitely gonna buy it.

picture012xh8.th.jpg

I have a prototype base that we tried but it still is a bit forward of the rear edge of the slide. Unfortunately the demand for a base you would like to see won't support the tooling and inventory needed. Bobby is still working on a USPSA version of the Competition mount but it has been moved back due to the demand for the regular mounts. When we get a prototype to try I'll post the info and some photos.

Here's a photo of the prototype top plate. This may or may not be the one used with the USPSA mount.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/fire...un/DSC01372.jpg

And as always, things can change. <_<

Edited by Fireglock

I have a prototype base that we tried but it still is a bit forward of the rear edge of the slide.

That is a bit forward, it might not be a good thing because im thinking of porting my barrel and at least one hole is going to be just under the blast shield.

This may or may not be the one used with the USPSA mount.

USPSA mount? Is it going to be a completely new design?

I have a prototype base that we tried but it still is a bit forward of the rear edge of the slide.

That is a bit forward, it might not be a good thing because im thinking of porting my barrel and at least one hole is going to be just under the blast shield.

This may or may not be the one used with the USPSA mount.

USPSA mount? Is it going to be a completely new design?

That is the rear most position without reducing the number of mounting screws in the top plate. The mount will be similar but there will be differences, the scope will likely be flush with the end of the slide. Again we don't have a prototype yet, so don't hold your breathe waiting. Like I said, when we start on it, I'll post.

Just go all the way and get one already made from Jockey so I can play with it when you aren't using it. It would save me a lot of money if you would go ahead and get a seperate rig for me to use. I wear a 34 belt, just so you know. You could also kick for the ammo if you are feeling charitable. :P

Here is a pic of my G17 with Carver Mount and C-more. When this pic was taken I had not lowered the ejection port and had fired about 3000 rounds with no malfunctions using my reloads. Currently this gun is being fitted with a competition barrel and comp along with lowering the ejection port. I plan on moving the C-more back farther and felt with the comp it might be better to lower the port as well.

post-7210-1182877448.jpg

There is also the austrian-made Seidler mount:

gallery_5776_142_106867.jpg

It is a low-profile mount. I haven't tested it with an OKO or C-More, just my Aimpoint, but it is solid.

The biggest con towards it must be that You can't use the front, or rear sight. They must be taken off.

What I also believed would interfere in my shooting, is that the rail on the mount is not centered. This 'issue' is unnoticeable when shooting. -At least with the 'huge' Aimpoint.

The only place I have found it to be sold on the net in the US, is from Powercustom, AFAIK.

I have some more pictures of it here.

Edited by Sandormen