Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Moving Cof

i know i saw it somewhere i think in I DEE HOE where they used a golf cart of sometype to carry shooters on the back while shooting...anybody use a setup like this ???? how did the time start..how did they gauge the speed..etc..someone brought up the idea to set a shooter on a back of a pickup and engage targets in a horseshoe shape manner.... B)

Edited by GmanCdp

I designed a COF using a golf cart, but we never shot it in a match because I got paranoid about someone shooting themselves.

We did shoot it during setup a few times and it was a real hoot! It was hard as hell to hit a target with the cart bouncing around, but the handfull of guys who shot it had a great time.

The path was shaped like a hockey stick with targets behind double stack barrels. The shooter was in the passenger seat and started at the low ready position. The SO was driving and holding the clock. On the buzzer he took off and the shooter engaged the targets as they appeared. The SO and the shooter were all jazzed up, so maintaining a consistent speed for each shooter was difficult.

To do something like this from a pickup would require a lot of room. Since the truck would have a speed-o-meter, you might be better able to get a consistent run from one shooter to the next, too. The distances between targets would make for a slow cycle time due to pasting.

I'll send you my COF if you want it.

i know i saw it somewhere i think in I DEE HOE where they used a golf cart of sometype to carry shooters on the back while shooting...anybody use a setup like this ???? how did the time start..how did they gauge the speed..etc..someone brought up the idea to set a shooter on a back of a pickup and engage targets in a horseshoe shape manner.... B)

Hey,

That is my stage. We ended up using a "Mule" type vehicle for a couple of reasons. The Mule we used was a Kubota diesel powered. As you know diesel motors have a governor to prevent over reving them. We just selected an appropriate gear in the transmission, and the driver floored the throttle when the timer went off. (Driver needs electronic muffs.) The engine will always run the same speed no matter if 5 people are aboard or only three.

The other reason for using a Mule is that it has a small pickup box. The shooter sits on the tailgate and the SO sits in the pickup box. We put up muzzle safe points at each side of the pickup box. These were flourescent orange lath put in the rear stake pockets of the pickup box.

You can see pictures and video of this setup at our website http://www.parmarng.org On the top of the screen is some navigation boxes, select [Photos]. Then scroll down to the 2005 State IDPA match. Look at pix from Stage 6 and watch the video of the match!

Everyone talks about this stage from 2005. It was a highlight of the match. We did not have an errant muzzles or anything unsafe happen on this stage, but we did staff it with our most experienced SO. People were a bit disappointed that we didn't have a "Kubota" stage in the 2006 match. They won't be disappointed for 2007.

Ken Reed

Edited by freeidaho

We did this with a trailer behind a riding mower in a shotgun match. Same gear was chosen, and accelerator was too the floor.

It kind of makes the stage a par time, as the speed of the vehicle dictates 99% of the final time. This was because we faced rearward, so you couldn't shoot distant targets earlier, you could only shoot them as you passed them. So, times were ~60 seconds, faster shooters might finish 1 second earlier than slower shooters. The difference was in the hits.

Our course was like a horseshoe turned on it's side. This forces you to shoot to the right and to the left.