Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock

cardboardkiller

"An IDPA stage that requires 3 shots per target? That's far from normal."

Well, you're right about your opinion in this matter being based on what you see at the matches you shoot, and mine being based on what I see at mine. At the club at which I shoot, it's quite common to require something other than two shots on target, to screw with the IPSC "double tap every target" people. Hell, we often have different numbers of rounds required on different targets within the same stage. Those who can't adapt to the demands of the stage, who are stuck on double tap auto pilot, get hosed.

"I stand by my statement that most of the time IDPA stages will require shooting to slide lock either in the stage description or because it's the best way."

And I agree, totally. But I'm also going to have to stand by my statement that, unless it's required in the course description, you can reload any one of three ways, and which is the best choice will depend on the stage. True, most of the time, shooting to slidelock is the way to go - and if your gun won't lock open when empty, you've got a problem. But shooting to slidelock is not always the best choice. Being able to scope out a stage, know which reload technique is the best way to go, and execute it when necessary, can save the alert competitor major time.

"The fact that forced tac reloads proved to be unpopular is also a factor."

Actually, I LOVE it when the course description specifies a tactical reload. Because I've put a lot of work into being able to execute a tac-load fast and smoothly, I know that on those stages I'm gonna come out WAY ahead of just about everyone else. But you're right, tac-loads aren't particularly popular, because most people can't do them well. An "always shoot to slidelock if the course description allows" approach will work. There's something to be said for simplicity of game plan. But if that's the only tool in your tool box, you're gonna short yourself and miss out on some real opportunities to cut major time out of a stage.

"I also said that the best and worst part of IDPA is that local rules prevail."

Uh, no. The IDPA Rule Book prevails. Everythings I've said is according to the LGB. And, more so than any other IDPA club at which I've ever shot, the Renton Fish & Game Club is excellent at putting on **IDPA** matches, run strictly according to the rules.

"Plenty of tactical guys believe you should count your rounds in a gunfight but most people cant do it in a match much less a gunfight."

No argument there. I don't count rounds in an IDPA match. I scope out the course of fire during the walk-through and figure out the best place, and best type of reload to do, way before I ever step to the line.

"Gunsmiths who specialize in USPSA guns know that the popular hi cap guns are more reliable when you disable the slide stop."

I believe I already said that.

I got my new slide stop today and it works like a champ. I put  it in the gun and worked it a few times so I could make a dimple to make sure that the plunger would have a place to rest and hold it in place and polished the rear so the plunger could glide smoothly.