Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Xd Trigger Work

Bear1142

I recently picked up a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical. I'm going to give it a try for a while and see if I like it. After pulling it apart and looking at the Trigger/Striker system, I'm curious to find out if as part of a trigger job, you reduce the engagement surface of the sear slightly to reduce that amount of "drag" that your feel as the sear cams out from under the striker?

Yes, I know I should just send it to Rich and I plan to, but I'm curious (which is a bad thing) to find out just how little engagement is needed for a reliable setup, and with the limited availability of spare parts, I don't want to ruin a part that I can't replace without returning it to the factory.

TIA,

Erik

Bring it with you Saturday and I'll show you everything I just learned from doing my own trigger job on Jason's XD. I had to send his back to SA for repair because I boogered it up.Now its pretty sweet.

I recently picked up a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical. I'm going to give it a try for a while and see if I like it. After pulling it apart and looking at the Trigger/Striker system, I'm curious to find out if as part of a trigger job, you reduce the engagement surface of the sear slightly to reduce that amount of "drag" that your feel as the sear cams out from under the striker?

I would say very little. There is not much engagement overlap to begin with, and the two parts are separated by the fact one is in the frame and the other is in the slide..... so slide to frame play moves the two pieces apart.

The Springer sear has the face polished with a slight curve, so that reduces creep. You can polish the vertical face of the stock sear and VERY SLIGHTLY round over the top and the pull gets better. If you go to much, you might get the striker "jumping the sear" when the slide bangs into the frame coming forward into battery.

The stock sear face angle has positive camber meaning it deflects the striker rearward as you pull (making a heavy, creep feel more likely). The curve face on the Springer sear does this less, and is the reason for the lighter pull.

Our kit also takes engages 50% sooner than the stock parts, is lighter by 30% and has reduced power sear and trigger return springs also.

PS. as noted don't reduce the amount of sear/striker engagement unless you want the possibility of bursts of fire.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Our kit also takes engages 50% sooner than the stock parts, is lighter by 30% and has reduced power sear and trigger return springs also.

PS. as noted don't reduce the amount of sear/striker engagement unless you want the possibility of bursts of fire.

Is that possible with the XD? It has the same firing pin (blocking) safety design similar to the Beretta 92 and the SIGs. The FP safety "disconnector" (lifting arm) resets as the slide moves out of battery at discharge and does not relift the safety plunger out of the way until you fully release the trigger and then re pull.

The Glock has the unsafe design where the FP safety plunger raises when ever the trigger is pulled and does not require a reset stroke after discharge.

I knew the Glocks could go full auto, but I though the superior safety design used in SIG, BER and he XD prevented that.....?

Or else, I wouldn't have been messing with the XD trigger..... :wacko: .... :lol:

Edited by bountyhunter

Is that possible with the XD? It has the same firing pin (blocking) safety design similar to the Beretta 92 and the SIGs. The FP safety "disconnector" (lifting arm) resets as the slide moves out of battery at discharge and does not relift the safety plunger out of the way until you fully release the trigger and then re pull.

The Glock has the unsafe design where the FP safety plunger raises when ever the trigger is pulled and does not require a reset stroke after discharge.

I knew the Glocks could go full auto, but I though the superior safety design used in SIG, BER and he XD prevented that.....?

Or else, I wouldn't have been messing with the XD trigger..... :wacko: .... :lol:

Multiple things have to be done to get them to burst, but it isn't that hard to do if you don't think things through. Reducing the engagement distance is one of them.

We do have lots of OEM sears if you do mess one up though and want to stay with those parts, and we have the good parts also.