Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pants do you use for IPSC?

Marcus

Hi All,

I think I have tried just about every type of shooting pant for IPSC over the past 8 years but have never really been able to find the perfect pant.

The closest were a pair of modified US issue fatigue pants but these carry a military overtone which I wasn't comfortable with.

Is there anyone out there making a dedicated IPSC pant?  What are the key features for a good pair of IPSC pants anyway?  To me, they are:

1) Hard wearing but not too hot for summer shooting

2) Cargo pockets

3) Stretchable enough that squatting etc is easy

4) Wide belt loops

5) No buckles/objects under the belt line

6) No right side pocket (I find the barrel sometimes catches on the pocket during drawing)

Any ideas?  

Marcus

I use some or all of the following, depending on my mood.

Cranky Pants

Picky Pants

Smarty Pants

Sometimes I feel I better change my pants after a shock.

After the match, when shooting the breeze and reliving a good stage, it can be liar liar pants on fire.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

SA

BTW, I'll be shopping for the exact kind of trousers you described, semi-BDU in black or khaki.

My favorite pants are the Royal Robbins 5.11 pants (as used by Todd J when he's not wearing those hideous bright green things). They're tough, easy to move in and fit all your other criteria (except the no-pocket, but they've got slash pockets that don't get in my way). Kinda pricy, but can be found on sale occasionally. The 5.11 shorts aren't as good, but I use them also.

For you IDPA-gamers, 5.11's even have a hidden interior knee-pad pocket.

You are still wearing pants?

I saw the ultimate competition garb at the Area 8 Race Gun.

It was something like this  

I forsee the need for the next rulebook to address the issue of going regimental.

The full effect of the Egret can now be seen.   Expect the use of this stance to reveal a formidable element to competition.

Guaranteed to blow your skirt up.  

(Edited by Rich Bagoly at 2:58 pm on Sep. 21, 2002)

I like the Royal Robbins pants also. I have both pants & shorts in the 5.11 style. If you are looking for a short with a little shorter inseam check out the Bluewater Short. They have the same features as the 5.11 shorts with a shorter inseam and no little knife pocket.  

I wear Dickies Khaki work pants at most matches.   They're cheap, the slash pockets are large enough to be useful but don't get in the way, they breathe well, and they're pretty durable.  They are also available in grey, black, blue, and green.  Dickies are made in America, I don't have any idea if they are available outside the US.   They were about the only Khakis I could find that fit me (try finding 31 inch waist and 36 inseams!)  Mona's cooking fixed that and I now wear a 32 inch waist.

For my shooting shirts since I'm a cheapskate I buy 2nds/blemished white dress shirts for $10 - $11 at Ross Dress for Less.  Of course the underlying reason for this is that my job once required that I (shudder) wear a suit and tie every day, shave, haircut, etc...   So I had this big supply of nice white shirts, well you get the idea.  

LOL on the kilt pic until i saw a competitor wearing one at the Tri-State match yesterday.  Older gentelman shooting open class...maybe it made him move faster...don't know, but the material was rather heavy compared to a basic set of khaki shorts.

And yes, he wore gutchies underneath...apparently not a true scot.....

Vluc,

Actually he was shooting production. No self respecting open shooter would wear a skirt 'er, kilt to shoot in. Nice guy but man did we bust his balls all day about it. Personally I think the combat boots were a fasion felony, pink pumps would have been more proper. He heard it all from the "where's the zipper? Oh, you squat to pee." to "Do they make those in a mid calf length for us well endowed guys?" Nice meeting you yesterday.

Remeber the scots think troosers are womens wear.

But then if you ever spent a winter in the land of heather and whisky, wearing a kilt would be a breeze (pun intended). that place can get cold, wet miserable, and that was on a good day. It's no wonder they were always fighting and drinking, it's the best way to stay warm.

BTW going prone would be real interesting.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

At Area 8 this year I believe we had 2 gents in Kilts...well at least in Saturday. I know the guy who was running maybe stage 6 was wearing one (Tony I think), he seemed to take his ball busting like a man....and appeared quite comfortable...I did notice he was very careful when he sat down ;)