Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grit Grips from Springfield Armory

Bill Schwab

I have been fiddling with the idea of getting Jerry Barnhart's grips  http://www.jerrybarnhart.com/bpp.htm but just found out that Springfield Armory sells similar grips.  I called to get a price and inquire whether they make them in S&A magwell style and it seems they do, and they're only $35.  

Does anyone have any experience with these?  

Bill

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow-up: I purchased both the Burner grips and the Springfield Armory grit grips.  

The Burner grips were shipped instantly and have been on my SS 45 since they arrived about three weeks ago.  They are awesome!  I really felt like I needed something like these after those hot swelting summer shoots when my left hand sometimes slips a little as I'm shooting.  The Burner grips are great; they feel and look like a high quality product.    

For a few bucks less and a few weeks wait you can get the SA grit grips.  These certainly are a step up from checkered wood, but they don't feel or look nearly as good as the Burner grips....they don't have the bite that the Burner grips have.  On the plus side they're available to match an S&A magwell.  These are going on the SS 40 I'm building....it has a checkered front strap so I need less help from the grips.  The 45 with the Burner grips does not have a checkered front strap.

My vote goes to the Burner grips.

Hope this helps someone!

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

do you shoot your 45 a lot? i managed to wear a set out on my beretta elite 2

Steve,

How long did it take you to wear them out?  I've only had them on for about two months, so they're still decent (1 hr of dry firing per day and 300-500 rounds a week).

Quote: from Bill Schwab on 9:08 am on Sep. 26, 2002

... I purchased both the Burner grips and the Springfield Armory grit grips...

Bill, do these grips have the same thickness as stock wooden ones?

TIA

n2299,

It's been so long since I've had stock grips on my gun that I no longer know what they feel like, nor do I have a stock set laying around to measure and compare to the Burner & SA grips.  But I will say this, the Burner grips are ever so slightly thicker (almost imperceptible) compared to the fancy set of Wilson grips I had on the gun prior to the Burners.

Let me add that I have small hands, but you couldn't part me from these Burner grips.

Bill