Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Case Lube - Whats Best And Easiest.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best - Dillon Pump

Easiest - Hornady One Shot

For Rifle cases I really like the Dillon. I have never had a stuck case w/Dillon. Even using SB RCBS dies. My issue with it is makes a mess. It is lanolin in alcohol. Alcohol evaporates and lanolin lubes. The case feeder and tube on my Dillon need to be cleaned more often than with Oneshot.

I've had great success with a muzzle loading product called bore butter.

put a little on your hands and just pick your brass up and rub it all together. You'll have to lube the necks but I have yet to have any rifle brass stick (.223 up to .300 win mag).

You'll want to tumble afterwards or not....it doesn't matter unless it is quite warm then it gets kind of "slick".

Not the easiest, not the least messy, but unless your doing 500+ at a time no different than any other rifle case lubes.

Hopalong

I like the Lee lube that comes in the toothpaste tube. If you mix it 10 to one with iso and put in a spray it is the poor man's Hornady One Shot. Even better, while I've stuck cases with the one shot, never stuck one yet with this stuff.

FWIW.

Dillon spray lube is the best way to lube for rifle sizing on a progressive loader.

If you are loading single stage and only a very small batch at a time (50-100), then the Imperial Sizing Wax is maybe the best choice, but for bulk, nothing beats the Dillon spray.

Just leave the lube on and shoot them. If it bothers you, tumble them for 10-15 minutes.

I love the Hornady One Shot, but I have had a couple of stuck cases in 30'06 (and IIRC, one in 223), so I am using the Dillon for rifle IF I am full length resizing (which you need to do with an AR or other semi-auto). For neck sizing with a bolt action, the One Shot is perfect.

Bob

You'll want to tumble afterwards or not....it doesn't matter unless it is quite warm then it gets kind of "slick".

OK Here's my question.

I'm new to reloading. Just to double check --- it is OK to tumble completed rounds in corn cob without any danger? Can the pointed tips of bullets strike primers?

I'm currently reloading .223 and .45 LC - adding .308 and .45 ACP soon.

Thanks,

DOC

Since I get this question a lot on the phone... For bottleneck cases and with either Dillon's spray or Hornady's One Shot, what is your preferred application method?

How do you keep from getting too much lube on the shoulder?

be

First: I always use the Dillon spray..

I dump a hundred or so cases into a big plastic 'jar'.. maybe it's 1.5 gallions? give a little spray, shake repeat a couple times (maybe max 300-350 cases)

If it feels rough going through the sizer, I add a little more. But it's really just a touch anyways..

Then I tumble ni CornCob, it removes the lube, and breaks off the little bits from the trimming..

Edited by BerKim

I have an old RCBS powder measure box lid that holds about 50 .223 cases laying on their sides (as many as I usually choose to size without a break). I spritz the batch with 2-3 pumps of the Dillon and shake the box like it's jiffy pop and let it sit for a few minutes. As each case is picked up, I roll it in my fingers to make sure the shoulder is lubed (my main issue is not too much there, but too little) and then press the neck over a brush I have threaded into a holder. That brush is spritzed with lube and this gets the expander ball lubed a little. I feel like this method gives me control over the lube applicattion and optimizes the die operation by lubing the expander ball so the case neck isn't scuffed badly on the inside.

I only pay this kind of attention to rifle cases, pistol cases don't deserve this level of concern in most cases (pun intended).

I use a large Zip Lock Freezer bag, throw a couple of hand fulls of brass in, spray with one shot, close bag and shake. Than load, brass does not come in contact with any surfaces that would transfer any grit or dirt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...