Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Armory's 6-20X56 Mil-Dot

Cobra

I just recently bought an M1A with the "Loaded" package.  I was wondering if anyone has used the 6-20x56 Mil-Dot Scope they offer for $499.00.  All my friends say go with a Leupold M1 or M3, but I noticed they are upwards of $1000.  I was wondering if it was worth the extra $500.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated

I'm not sure if the scope you're considering has the internal bubble level or not, but I have seen a SA scope where this broke loose.  The competitor was on the line just shaking the hell out of his rifle, it seems that if he jiggled it just right he could manage to see the crosshairs and make the shot.  Shake for 20 sec...bang, shake for 15 sec...bang.  I felt bad for the guy. This may have been a freak occurence, but it reinforced to me that sometimes simple is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Every "Bargain" scope I have  stacks up poorly against every Leupold scope I own. The Leupolds are optically, mechanically & cosmetically superior to all lesser scopes.

IMHO, buy the Leupold, there is no substitute.

I have Leupolds, Springfields, and even a cute little issue Trijicon 4-power...at my level of shooting, I don't notice much difference.  The Springfield's internal level is quite trick, the Trijicon is noticibly brighter than the Springfields or the Leupolds, and the Leupolds are very expensive.

Just my worthless opinion.

My wife's M24 type (in .300 Win Mag instead of wussy .308 (her words)) has the big Springfield you mention, but my own M21 type wears the straight 6-power.  We seem to get along OK with the "bargain" scopes   :b

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag.../sniper_set.JPG

Alex

I think that there is no substitute for trying out a scope before you plunk down your hard earned dough.  You can get a pretty good idea by checking it out in a store or gun show if possible.

BTW  I prefer my Weaver V16 over my Leupold 6x24.  It seems that the sweet spot (where you see most clearly) is greater on the Weaver.  My Leupold has a tendency to black out if everything is not exact.

Mike

Never heard much good about the Springfield. A friend of mine just had one break on about the fifth shot in a match. He then had to finish the Mile and a quarter long stage with the iron sights that were not zeroed.

A Leupold 3.5x10 LRMD can be had for about 600. used.