Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters helmet Camera

Nolan

At Kyles request I'm posting this shameless self promoting plug:

I'm making wireless video cameras mounted in a set of earmuffs.  Nothing else for the shooter to wear except as required for safety and public decency.  Your camcorder plugs into the battery powered remote receiver unit.  The headset unit has a broadcast range of about 100 feet so you can set the receiver unit and camcorder safely out of the way.  If your camcorder has an LCD view screen there will be a crowd gathered around watching your run!

The view is very similar to Duke Nukem.  Image quality is 380 lines.  Sound quality is actually better than my Sony camcorder.  Note to self: Do the deep calming breaths BEFORE turning on the headset.  Don't nod head to signal ready, the audience will get seasick.

The first time I shot a swinging target wearing the headset camera I discovered that I tracked the swinger with my limited gun, but not my open gun.  I didn't realize I was doing it until I saw the tape.

I'm going to have two for rent at this weekends Bay Bridge match.  If you are attending the match bring your camcorder and RCA patch cords.  I'm selling the complete unit (less camcorder) for $250.00

Damnit!  I hate it when someone comes up with an idea I just know I'll be buying!  Maybe this shouls be in the "Hate" sub-category.

Anyway.  Can you fit this to my muffs?  Electronic muffs?  Is there a special type of camcorder needed?

I know I'll have one of these before too long..

Tom

Ghost shooter?! I'd be happy just to do side-by-side, start-synchronized video of different shooters on a single course of fire. (Or re-synch to any point.)

I'd imagine a ghost shooter would be extremely difficult to implement. For one thing, you'd need the same exact camera position and zoom, with the same camera motion throughout.

Quote: from tightloop on 7:01 am on Oct. 24, 2002

Your shameless plug was well received, as long as  you don't include references to it during the next 25 posts you make all over the foum, no problem.

OK, I'll just put it in my sig file. ;-}

THS,

No special camcorder required.  You plug the camcorder into the receiver the same way you would plug into your home VCR to dupe a tape.  I'm using standard large earmuffs to mount the camera battery pack, transmitter, antenna, and camera.  Since I have to put several holes into the earmuff body for the cables I recommend using earplugs as well.

Now I have to think of a good name.  I've rejected IPSC-Cam because I'd have to pay a royalty, MuffCam went by the wayside for obvious reasons.  ShooterCam is already taken.  I kinda like HoserCam, but who knows what the Canadians will say.  I'm open to suggestions.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 2:19 pm on Oct. 24, 2002

Ghost shooter?! I'd be happy just to do side-by-side, start-synchronized video of different shooters on a single course of fire. (Or re-synch to any point.)

I'm still looking for a home video editing program that would do something like that.

Erik and I shot a stage at Silver Buckle in exactly the same time.  I video taped Erik with his camera and he taped my run with my camera.  We set the cameras up side by side and roughly sync'd them up to the start buzzer.  It was way cool watching it.  We each took a slightly different route.  I took an early lead shooting on the move, but Erik ran me down on the steel.  lt's a real lesson in where you're losing and gaining time.

HoserCam! Better register the domain ASAP. :biggrin: You can use the slogan, See What You've Been Missing.

I remember that stage and that video. It was way cool. The beeps were synched, then Nolan was running away from me and we were way out of synch on the targets, then all of a sudden he's shooting steel, I'm shooting steel, then I'm unloading and he's unloading. Sort of like a track event where the runners start staggered then converge at the finish line.

Probably my first pass will be for fixed cameras-- then it's easy to subtract out the background images and keep the shooters. You could then sync the video at various places-- on the beep, getting into position whatever, etc.. It would work well for "let me try doing it a couple of different ways" drills, or seeing where somebody pulls away from you on a stage.

I've just finished the pre-production model of the HoserCam.  It will be going to Area 2 with Ron Downs.  Unfortunately I won't be going, but if you are there stop by and say Hi to Ron.

All my future postings regarding the HoserCam will be in the classifieds.

Nolan, would you mind posting a picture of someone wearing the unit?  The reason I ask is because the video looks like a camera is pointed from the side and down as opposed to just along-side the head.  Thanks!

10ring,

The video link posted here isn't from one of my cameras.  I'll email a couple of photos to Brian and see if he will post them because I don't have a website yet.  

The HoserCam is mounted at eye level but is offset to the side about 2 inches from the center of the dominant eye.  That's as close as I could get without going to eyeglass frame or headband mounting,  hideously expensive cameras (w/o sound) and all the extra cabling to connect the camera to the batteries and transmitter.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from TMC on 3:19 pm on Nov. 11, 2002

Hey Holan,

Kinda glad Ron didn't have that thing working for some of us to try at Rio Solano, it would be terrible to relive that firey crash again.

Just to clarify, the HoserCam was working OK, Ron just didn't have a camcorder capable of recording in the VTR/VCR mode.