Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Draw and the Shirt Tail

InTheBlack

I was experimenting with a Bill Jordan "scoop" from below type draw.  From a hands at sides position, this is obviously potentially faster than bringing your hand above the gun and then coming down from above to establish a grip.

However, in the real world, I think it would be a bad technique to ingrain.

The problem is that the folds of my shirt sometimes get in the way.  Heck, sometimes my _cuff_ was down low enough that it caught between the grip and my palm.

SO unless you only dress in a tight T shirt or wear tightly tailored shirts, I think the scoop is a bad technique.

Since getting my glock some years back I've done nothing but draw from concealment.  Recently after getting hooked in competition shooting, I've tried in vain to reconcile my concealment draw (from a 4o'clock position) to my competition draw (currently now about 2:30).  I just can't.  One thing that's hasn't changed though is the way I get to grip the gun (from top, grip, pull).  And I've ripped a lot of shirts practicing this draw esp. with an IWB.

In The Burner Series, Jerry teaches the scoop and coming down on the gun from above. There was a time, I dunno, maybe six or seven years ago, when a lot of people were experimenting with the scoop. As its liabilities became evident it was dropped (pun intended) by almost everyone.