Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sweaty hands

mcoliver

I must be undergoing some hormonal changes because even when I'm just dry firing at home my hands become sweaty. Anybody know what I can use to prevent this from messing my grip when live firing? Progrip or something similar (awfully hard to find back here)? Gloves for the weak hand (any particular type)? Baby powder (hmmm)?

Thanks.

I don't know, I only bowl 3 times a year. I used to rock climb a lot and I know it works well and is easy to clean-up, I was going to recommend pine tar, but that might not work well when doing mag changes :) I think that any sports chalk would work about the same.

try surgery, that's what i did. i suffered from hyperhidrosis. a procedure called Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy simply removes part of a nerve which stops the palms from sweating. this procedure is only for the worst cases, but since the operation i've noticed my shooting performance has increased.

It's called Prince Grip:

http://princetennis.com/products/custom.html

FWIW, I think some hand sweating is psychosomatic.  I'm not calling anyone a nutcase, because it happens with me.  I am mildly acrophobic, but still like rock climbing and mountain climbing (oddly enough).  Throw a rock climbing book or magazine in front of me and my palms will start sweating just thinking about being on the sharp end of a 100 foot pitch.  Totally weird, but it happens - probably just out of anxiety.  Once I'm on the hill, I settle down and everything's fine.  

I tried the Pro-grip but it always dried up before I used even half of it . I finally just started rubbing a little dirt from the range on my hands and it works the best . I never have to worry about running out and the price is right . By the way my palms sweat a lot just normally let alone being in a stressful situation .

What is it with climbers and shooters??  Anyway, somebody makes a non-chalk chalk-ball for indoor use. It's black, doesn't dust and isn't very messy, but works pretty well.  Again, poke around REI.

My wife has sweaty hands and we tried the stuff baseball players use. I think it is Rosin (sp?). Don't try it! I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned trying to get that stuff off of the gun. I never got it out of the mag release button and it ruined the mainspring housing. She uses Progrip now per my request......

Quote: from shred on 8:12 pm on Jan. 11, 2003

What is it with climbers and shooters??  

Both disciplines are very similar in that they're mental and technique sports first, and physical sports second.  Then there's the "juice" factor that makes your palms sweat...  

Pro-Grip works great. It's basically unscented antiperspirant - aluminum chlorhydrate I think.

If your Pro-Grip dries up, you can recharge it. The solvent is rubbing alcohol which eventually evaporates.

Just take the top off your Pro-Grip container and add rubbing alcohol. You'll may have to do it several times and you'll have to shake or twirl it to mix it. Keep adding until the lump is dissolved.

i like pro grip.  in the south during summer time, everyone sweats big time.  also, if you get oil on your hands the pro grip takes care of that as well.  this is why i use pro grip in the winter.

if you don't like pro grip,  try using a alcohol swabs.  they work, but you have to use them at each stage.

good luck,

lynn jones

Great replies guys and gal.  I've been trying the alcohol and it does work to some extent. I'm not sure how it will hold up during a COF.  I came across a product called Mueller Sticky Gip (or something like that). The hands really do stick with this thing. It's a bit awkward to release the weak hand grip when going for mag changes. Still experimenting...thanks a lot.