Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Neat Video Of Fluid Dynamics Model Of Bullet

Bill Schwab

It's not the easiest program to use. I try to learn how to use it when I was still in school. Unfortunately the computers that they had was too slow even to set up the basic tutorials.

Oh, Fluent runs about $30,000 for one seat.

Edited by Scooter

There are some free solvers out there but you also have to learn grid generation. That step can have a big effect on the accuracy of the solution.

Also picking the right physics to solve (viscous vs inviscid etc. etc. ) have drastic effects as well.

I work in the field and one of our biggest problems is software such a fluent. Not that fluent (or any other big name CFD software company) are bad. They have to make thier software as "ROBUST" as possible in order to sell it. That translates into push the big green button and it will generate a pretty picture.

The problem occurs when the person pushing the big green button is not skilled enough to interpret the results. LOL

Ok geek mode off....

Steven

I watched that and thought, "HERE COMES THE SOUND WAVE!"

Now some mechanical engineer is going to come in and tell me that the velocity vector of the air doesn't correspond to the sound wave. :( They spoil all the fun.

• 2 weeks later...