Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aiming Your Chrono

Hello,

Just curious if any of you have some tips or tricks for setting up your chrono w/ the least amount of fuss and frustration (i.e. fewest trips back and forth between the chrono tripod and the bench). I'm talking primarily about using a chrono w/ a rifle on a bench (limited in how much you can scoot things around this end) with a target posted on a backer several hundred yards distant (not really practical to move things around there either). Seems like I always end up doing at least a good half dozen trips back and forth to get things set up so I don't hit the skyscreens or the heads. I tend to start feeling guilty about tying up the line when other people are waiting to shoot (normally I try to do this early on before most people make it to the range).

Any better ideas or suggestions out there?

TIA,

Monte

The only thing I can think of is to try and be as consistent as possible.

If you can use the same bench and same target stand, perhaps you can mark your tripod so you know exactly how high it needs to be. And possibly a 6" level on the skyscreen bracket would let you know how to orient the front and back screen relative to the target's position way down range.

Good Luck.

How far from the bench are you setting the tripod and chrono? Why not put a target directly behind it rather than 100 yards down range? Just set the bullseye height to accomodate the distance between the scope and barrel axis.

How far from the bench are you setting the tripod and chrono? Why not put a target directly behind it rather than 100 yards down range? Just set the bullseye height to accomodate the distance between the scope and barrel axis.

Chrono is as far down range as the cables will allow (~15' w/ a CED Millenium). Setting a target right behind the chrono doesn't seem to accomplish much when I'm doing load development @ 100, 300, or 600yds (or more) for my long range guns.

I set up my target first, then the gun in the bags on target, then one trip for the chrono and I am good.

Thats close to what I do, and what I'm having trouble with. Relatively fixed target positions (only so many target holders down range), relatively fixed benches (poured concrete or welded steel w/ heavy tops) but which combination of target and bench I get to use varies from one range trip to the next... especially if someone else is there. I staple up the target, set up the gun on the bench, set up the chrono on it's tripod, carry it out, eyeball it, come back, check it thru the scope, go back out, tweak it one way or another, come back, check it thru the scope, go back out... seems like I never get away with less than two trips back and forth, and that's on a very good day.

Monte

I feel your pain.

Aligning gun, chrono, and target so you can shoot for group and velocity is a large pain and I have never figured out an easy way. I have thought of digging a hole in front of one of the benches at the local range and setting a permanent socket for a post to hold the screens the same place every time. But it is easier in the short run to just fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.

I have done it "Chinese style" with a very trusted partner; we can get it set up pretty soon that way.

Setup the skyscreens behind the shooting bench and look through them to the target and adjust them so the rifle on the bench blocks out the target view through the skyscreens. This will get it in the ballpark for ya' faster. When you put the skyscreens in front of the rifle the height should at least be close.

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to shoot for groups and chrono separately?

Twice the time and ammo required.

OK, I can see that for rifle. I'm too used to action pistol - if I haven't burned up 500 or 600 rounds, I haven't even warmed up. :D

• 6 months later...

I use a laser pointer and my spotting scope. With a good laser pointer, you can see it on the target at 100 yards through the scope. You can REALLY see if it hits the chronograph screens. And if you spend the bucks for a green laser pointer, it is even better.

Even so, I have shot one of my screens. I was tuning my air rifle (RWS 48, .177") and hit the second screen's base. (CED Mil). It missed all the guts and still functions fine.