Tigger Pull Weight And Non Federal Primers 625-8

41mag

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having never actually weighed my hammer I pulled the one I just did for my B gun.

With the sear and spring still installed it weighed 335.6 grains. so I see I have some room to remove another 50 grains in there somewhere.

I like to leave that tang on there to keep bad things from going down inside my gun. So that is probably where it is hiding. I think I am going to experiment with drilling some way cool holes.

Bgunhammer01.jpg

Edited by aerosigns

Yea, I got to find that video! I looked for it once and than got side tracked I guess.

You're welcome to borrow my Trigger Job video, it's travelled all over the country. (Now I wish I'd had all the borrowers sign the DVD case!) However, I'm not sure it will be all that helpful in getting that extra little bit of weight off your trigger pull, the DVD is more about general action smoothing. Jerry knows his revolvers, that's for sure, but he's not really a gunsmith and it's only in the fairly recent past that he has begun running lighter actions in his own guns.

My thoughts: Make sure your primers are being impacted dead-center. Make sure you have no significant endshake. Make sure you have good firing pin protrusion. I'm not a big fan of the C&S pin (others have had good luck, but I've had several which became deformed and one that broke in two), but you might want to experiment with the shape of the end of your factory pin--some have found that slightly sharpening the firing pin will concentrate the energy on the primer. Try to identify anything that could create friction or slop between the falling hammer and the primer, and correct it.

Finally, you might want to take even more weight off your hammer. Gregg's made it down to a reliable 5.5#, and that's about what my DA pull weighs now too.

Thanks Mike,

That would be great if I could have a look at your copy of that video. Put me on the list.

How do you adjust your firing pin strike to hit dead center? Do you have to install a new bushing?

Is removing the firing pin a simple thing to do? I would guess that's what the pin under the sideplate near the firing pin is for?

Yea, my hammer looks like it could spend some more time on the weight watcher program compared to what a lot of you have achieved.

How do you measure the protrusion and what should it measure?

That's a lot of questions! Feel free to answer some, any, one or none. We could start another thread that's like a ask the Gurus Questions and they respond with one answer weekly or something :rolleyes: .

thanks,

41mag

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you the DVD.

Centered FP hits is usually a matter of getting the yoke perfectly aligned (if it's out of alignment) and having a well-fit cylinder stop (if it wiggles too much). Both are fairly easy to address, although you need the alignment support tool for the yoke. The center-pin frame hole can get egged out too, but that's only on high-mileage revos.

Removing the FP is easy, and yes, pull that pin. You'll figure it out.

You can measure the protrusion with a feeler gauge but I don't know the specs. You can alter the factory pin to increase protrusion if necessary (I've never found that necessary, though).

Having never actually weighed my hammer I pulled the one I just did for my B gun.

With the sear and spring still installed it weighed 335.6 grains. so I see I have some room to remove another 50 grains in there somewhere.

I like to leave that tang on there to keep bad things from going down inside my gun. So that is probably where it is hiding. I think I am going to experiment with drilling some way cool holes.

Bgunhammer01.jpg

That's a beautiful hammer!

here's a crappy pic of my 265grain hammer. still lots of metal left to take offpost-1793-1176925332.jpg

a little more polishing today and the weight of the 610 hammer is down to 221 grains. will shoot it this evening and may start on the 625 hammer next

The other thing I like about the lightened hammer is that it creates a minimum of jarring and jostling when it falls. Even just dry-firing the gun, you really can tell the difference in the feel. Even sounds snappier rather than clunkier.

I have found the same thing to be true with my 1911s, and have found I prefer the lightened Koenig hammer made by EGW for all the same reasons. Even in 1911s you can take the mainspring tension down further (which is one factor involved in enhancing the trigger pull) and maintain 100% reliability by using a lightened hammer.

here's a crappy pic of my 265grain hammer. still lots of metal left to take offpost-1793-1176925332.jpg

a little more polishing today and the weight of the 610 hammer is down to 221 grains. will shoot it this evening and may start on the 625 hammer next

the 610 lit off factory CCI Blazers with no problem

the first cut on the 625 hammer has it down to 275 grains.

I have a 625-8 and want to know what the difference of the 625 hammer .400" and .500" is and what the 625-6 .500" & .400" MIM is?

which one will fit in my 625-8.

I want to buy one to modify instead of modifying my orginal hammer.

If it's a regular production version, your 625-8 has a MIM hammer with no hammer nose, so you would need to order one of the hammers for the 625-6 (that's the series number when they first made the switch to the frame-mounted firing pins).

The .400 and .500 refer to the width of the spur, which you're going to cut off anyway! :)

I look forward to meeting all of you revo shooters

I will be the really bad revo shooter. You won't miss me or my brother. I take solice in the fact that I can beat him and won't come in last.

"dremelogically purified." WOW!!!! B)

You will need those little sunglasses if you ever see aerosigns' hammer in person. It is buffed to a blinding shine. He needs to glass-bead the back of the hammer and make it more tactically sound. :)

Picked up some more Federal 150's while at the WI Section this past weekend.

Stopped at Cabela's and bought the 9 - 100 packs they had in their inventory for 2.99 a box. :o

But to make the weekend better, 'Squishy' knowing my propensity for the Federal 150 was able to get his hands on a box of 5,000, and brought them to the shoot for me. The last time I bought a box of 5K they were $90, now they had gone up to $110. (Mine, all mine, insert maniacal laughter here).

He reported that his source for primers said that there were no more in the system, until further notice. So I have to make the 16K that I have last for a loooong time.

Had a talk withmy component supplier(Win dist) & a commerical reloader. He tol me that he has been using Win primers with his revos forever & had has no light hits @ 6-7 lb pull. Double Action. Never had him tell me any stories. FWIW

Edited by granderojo

I frequently talk with the National Sales Manager for Winchester Ammunition. I will try to give him a call and see if has enough pull to get me a box of these new primers.

Then we will see if there is a new sheriff in town. :D

I frequently talk with the National Sales Manager for Winchester Ammunition. I will try to give him a call and see if has enough pull to get me a box of these new primers.

Then we will see if there is a new sheriff in town. :D

Who? Paul Nowak? He told Sweeney the new Winchester primers are as soft as Federals. (I'm from Missouri on that one.....)

Is there any way to get an older carbon steel hammer to work in the newer MIM guns? I already swapped out a trigger and it would be nice to get rid of that hammer too. I haven't studied them side by side so I don't know if this is a really stupid question. I guess it wouldn't be as simple as removing the firing pin from the old hammer, now would it?

Dave Sinko

Dave,

You kind of answered your own question there.

The hammer mounted firing pin, isn't going to go through the Frame mounted firing pin hole too easily. And if you look at the face of the steel hammer it's not going to like smacking the frame mounted firing pin, with it's forked tongue.

On another note -

I loaded up some old fashioned everyday Winchester primers tonight and went to practice. I only loaded 18 rounds now, but each and every one fired without complaint. I even fired them without benefit of moon clip just to make it harder on them. Trigger pull set at 7.00 lbs.