Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

I love a good challenge, and getting back to my top game is most certainly challenging enough! That being said, trying to get my backup CZ operational has been an exceptionally difficult trial. Every time I believe that I have the problem appropriately diagnosed, something else is thrown at me. You can read about it here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163623entry1822377

It's no biggie, especially given the lack of major matches around here for a few months...just something that I perseverate about ;)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had the opportunity to shoot the Circleville USPSA match today...pretty fair weather for December. I had one big mental error (changing my plan after burning it into my mind) but overall the match went well. I am grateful for the additional opportunity to fellowship with my shooting friends, as well as get more match time with the CZ before Ohio goes all icey-snowey-sub-zeroy.

Film to be posted once YouTube digests it.

Focus for today was to flow better in stages. Overall using that criteria as a measure of success, I would say that it was a mildly successful day. Accuracy suffered today, but that is why I choose to train throughout the "off" months. Big thanks to the BGSL cast and crew for putting on a great match, and as always, being the friendliest cast of characters in the sport.

Hey Micah, fellow former longtime PD Glocker here, I'm also switching to CZ in PD after coming back from a long hiatus....

My question is about doing the majority of dry fire practice with the DA pull (o ring, snap cap etc), and whether emphasizing and engraining the long, harder DA pull in dry fire, could in any way actually be detrimental to overall speed and control of the subsequent SA shots in live fire...too much trigger prep, too long of a trigger finger movement on the SA shots etc.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks!

That is an excellent question!

First off, the o-ring simply reduces the number of times my hammer smacks the firing pin. No need to wear them down than what is needed. Speaking of wear, I broke my first trigger return spring this morning in dryfire! Fortunately it was at the end of the session, and fortunately it did not happen during the two matches that I shot over the weekend :)

Having every pull in dryfire being a DA pull does not simulate what we encounter in livefire. What I do is have the first pull be DA, then for each subsequent pull I ride the trigger back a small bit and pull it again. This simulates the SA pull (at least on my gun, it is less than a 2lb SA) and also integrates economy of motion. My trigger finger does not need to travel all the way forward and then back to reset the short trigger of a Shadow. I'll post a video of what I am talking about once I replace the return spring.

You ask a question, you get a video reply! That's how we do it in the Dojo 4.0 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-W0NY_je0

Wow, totally awesome of you to take the time and effort to put this up, Micah! Much obliged!

By the way, was that a stock trigger return spring that broke, or the fancy CGW part?

Paw, you are most certainly welcome, and it was the CGW. The CGW return spring truly feels much lighter on the trigger than the stock spring. Just be sure that you have several backups of which ever one you decide to go with!

I wanted to shout out to CGW for a moment. David Milian obtained my troubled SP-01 yesterday, dropped what he was doing, and fixed it on the spot. The frame's trigger well was out of spec, as well as a timing issue with the disconnector that all contributed to my issues with the gun that my untrained eye could not find. My backup gun will be on its way back to me today, and I will finally have a viable (and now sexy) backup gun!

Other than that, the training cogs continue to turn here at home. More cardio, more yoga, more dryfire. More emphasis on explosive movement between positions and keeping the gun up. Plenty of work to do between now and March! I will do a quick video review of the SP-01 once I get it back.

In Saul Kirsch's book Thinking Practical Shooting, he states that the "off season" is the time to really hit physical conditioning hard. I've been adding additional workouts and weights this week to my exercise routine, and have been waking up sore as hell...but it is the good kind of sore. The sore that lets me know that muscle is being rebuilt.

There is the possibility that I will be able to shoot a club match in Indiana this weekend, hopefully the weather decides to be kind on Sunday.

The 20 Second Rule

This is the principle that you are significantly more likely to engage in an activity or present a behavior when its access is easily obtained.

Livefire comes to mind. Some of us live minutes from the range (lucky!), while others are 30 minutes to hours away. Even when you remove the travel aspect, you still need to pack your gear, pack your vehicle with said gear, unpack your vehicle of the gear, unpack your gear again, set up your drills, tear them down...etc.

Now consider dryfire. At least for me, I put on my gun, belt, grab my 3 dryfire mags and timer, walk into Dojo 3.5 (aka the downstairs), and I am ready to go. The ease of access to this activity significantly increases the probability that I will engage in it at a higher rate.

Just some food for thought. Here is a link to the article that validated these crazy thoughts that I had on the topic: http://www.bakadesuy...o-being-your-b/

My SP-01 came back from the Cajun Custom Shop yesterday and I could not be happier! It's form and function are virtually equivalent to my Shadow, and I can finally relax knowing that I have not just a viable backup pistol, but a darn great one at that!

I felt completely lost this past Sunday not having any matches to shoot, and having the weather (cold+rain) prevent me from hitting the range. I spent a good portion of the day doing gun stuff (dryfiring, reloading) but it simply was not the same. I am certainly envious of all of you that live in warmer climates! Gotta find a job in Mesa/Atlanta/Frostproof ;)

Imagine having to carry 100 extra pounds of lead on your body for every match you shoot. Not just when you Make Ready, but ALL DAY LONG! Sounds quite exhausting, no?

I found a few pictures of the 2010 Michigan Sectional, and all I can say is WOW:

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

2010-09-26_16-27-26_296.jpg

Loosing the weight and KEEP IT OFF has been an exceptional joy, as well as provides me with benefits in all facets of my life. Good luck to everyone making resolutions to hit the gym hard after New Years!

More dryfire, more yoga, more cardio...wash, rinse, repeat!

I quit drinking again...not that I had a problem with it, I just didn't like consuming the extra calories. So the upside is that I am getting thinner, and I am infinitely more ready when my alarm goes off at 3:15am! I am also going back to school for my EdD...shouldn't take more than 30 months or so. It is my goal to NOT let that impact my shooting at all. To get myself, and stay at a high level of performance, I need one hour every day for dryfire, 2 hours every week for livefire practice, and one weekend day per week to shoot a club match.

Big bummerville pop:Micah today-the Indiana SS/Prod match is taking place during my wedding weekend. Good luck to everyone that attends! It is an excellent match.

Steve Anderson has been talking quite a bit about the "Desire to call every shot". I applied that thought mode into my evening dryfire which focuses heavily on reloading on the move in various directions over various distances. If I give that reload ALL of my attention and DESIRE to see the front portion of the magwell, I do not miss. The bonus is, on the timer it is no slower than my best lucky-no-lookie reload.

I even made it my desktop, tablet, and phone wallpaper:

2012-12-17_18-58-50_753.jpg

And below this line of text is a gratuitous picture if myself feeding one of my twin nieces, just for s's and g's:

Resampled952012-12-139518-31-0495694.jpg

And btw, if you guys have Glock, CZ, or GM type questions, post them up here, and I will be happy to answer them in a video response :)