Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

I removed the INSANE amount of tool marks on the outside of the trigger bar, and polished the underside where the lifter spring engages the bar. Now that it is all back together, after 200 trigger pulls everything seems perfect: no grinding (or grinding sounds), and all resets are strong. I'm gonna do 50 minutes of yoga now and send all my groovy vibes to my Shadow. If everything works out better than expected, I will be able to dryfire with it after yoga without a hitch...stay tuned :ph34r:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dryfire went perfectly! I thought that I was in the clear until I de-gunned and "tried" to make the trigger lock up. Unfortunately I was able to do so.

2012-11-02_06-55-15_721.jpg

The left arm of the lifter spring still seemed to be a bit out of spec as it was slightly away from the frame, so I bent that back. That made it more difficult to "make" the trigger grind up. It only happens after multiple SLOW DAO pulls.

Perhaps it is like the old joke:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I hold my arm up like this.

Doc: Well then, don't hold your arm up like that!

I am sure everything will be groovy for the two matches this weekend, however I am going to order new springs, as well as a new trigger bar, at some point today.

Whatever trigger issues I was having earlier this week are completely over and done with, as my CZ ran perfectly today at the Cville match. It was not my prettiest match of the year, but I can tell that I am getting more familiar with the platform, and feeling more comfortable with trusting it more. Other than getting boned by a popper it was a clean match, and I had TGSA (The Great Steve Anderson) on my squad as well. He provided me with some valuable input and created a few dryfire drills that I need to do daily to sharpen up some of my duller points. Muchos grassy-ass brother :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTDA9Iv805Y

Tomorrow is Oxford Ohio's last match of the year, and that is pretty much it for the club circuit until (maybe) March.

.....Other than getting boned by a popper it was a clean match ...

Ouch dude, that sucks! I got screwed on stage 1 as well ....... What the heck happened on that stage? Your score sheet doesnt show any misses but your video looks like you didn't clean the steel? Just wondering.

Either way see you tomorrow at Oxford. :)

A change in routine today: cardio, yoga, dryfire, work.....then I am off to take a training class with Steve Anderson! Yeah, the Open GM that wrote two books on training (which have become the training Old and New Testament) as far as I am concerned. In 2004 when I was just shooting an indoor league, I had no idea how to train, or what to train. The book was recommended to be by THE Bill Seevers, and I never regarded or approached this sport the same way twice.

Today's training will focus primarily on what weaknesses can I work on during the COLD months of November-April. Once we get a plan, I will know exactly what I need to be doing in the next 6 months to knock the rust off my G card and begin the 2013 season honed.

Picture related: It gets VERY cold over here in Ohio!

index.jpg

My training session with Steve was exceptionally productive! I have been dryfiring on my own for so long that I had gotten into a comfortable groove. Comfort is great for couches and jeans, but is a gamekiller for practical shooting. I wrote a review HERE (linky) about my experience. Getting my "off season" training program squared away right at the beginning is a tremendous advantage. I know where I want to be in March 2013, now I know what I have to do to achieve it.

Been a few days since my last post here. All I have been up to is doubling up on yoga, and dryfiring with a new goal and intensity. Things are coming together as far as the new fundamentals of the CZ build, and I am empowered to have a training plan that pertains to all of my weaknesses in 2012.

Also, I picked up a CZ SP-01 today as a backup for my Shadow :)

2012-11-14_20-43-59_874.jpg

Went to the range yesterday instead of shooting a club match, and it ended up being time well spent. One of my big focuses during the cold months is to have explosive movement in short distances at all times.

I also ordered the #3 trigger kit from Cajun Gunworks for the backup CZ...I expect that this will solve the sear/hammer engagement issue.

I noticed the other day at the range that I was stuttering on my second shot of the first target. After thinking about it for a while I think that the number of one shot drills that I do in dryfire for draws, reloads, etc may be the culprit, so I changed them up to 2 or more shot drills...easy fix.

I have the day off, so I am going to use it to begin building Dojo 4.0 at the house that I will be moving in to in March. There is a detached garage/office on the back property that I will be converting...and it has so much potential! I'll take a few pix today just so I can document the transformation.

One of my big focuses during the cold months is to have explosive movement in short distances at all times.

Me too. Anything in particular that your are doing? Is it more of a mental training thing or a physical training thing? Mentally remembering that you need to explode out of position? Or, are you doing some physical training (drilss/workouts) to help?

Both. In dryfire I have constructed drills to focus primarily on just that. Mostly box-to-box type stuff, but with the emphasis on EXPLODING between positions. Physically, I'm pretty leg strong with all of the cardio and yoga that I do, however I am going to be starting a program that a good friend of mine is developing to further strengthen those explosive muscles.

So the highs and lows of today:

LOW

The new trigger kit came from Cajun today, and after installing it into my backup SP-01, the trigger feels awesome, but it still will not drop the hammer reliably. The right safety dances like it is on meth, and when the hammer fails to fall, all I need to do is push the right safety and it drops. Before you blame the safeties though, I have tried several different pairs: all with the same effect. Even with CGW's adjustable sear, the same issue continues. I am running out of guilty parties...sear cage, trigger bar...um...help me if you have an idea.

HIGH

Happy CZ day to wingman Kendall!!!! She was delivered via stork from Stuart today :)

2012-11-21_17-01-57_438.jpg

Well, it has got to be the sear cage. I placed the sc from my Shadow in my SP-01 and was unable to duplicate the malfunction, but when I placed the SP-01 cage in my Shadow, I was able to duplicate the engagement problem.

Soooooo hopefully after replacing that, my backup gun will be ready to go. Although it has cost me a few bucks, the upside of all of this is that my backup is super-tuned :)

Here are several pictures from yesterday's initial building of Dojo 4.0:

2012-11-21_11-33-33_894.jpg

2012-11-21_11-33-57_667.jpg

2012-11-21_11-33-50_136.jpg

I did several metric tons of gutting, and plan to do more of the same Friday.

"Don't train until you can get it right, train until you can't get it wrong."

I have really, REALLY been hammering on that. There was a discussion yesterday about what one can do on demand, and it made me think. I can do a .5 draw on a target 10ft, rip .8 reloads, and explode out of positions with raw energy, but none of those have been a part of my "on demand" repertoire. A major part of my focus in the cold months is to fix that.

I am still, however, happy with .14 splits as long as my transitions remain comparatively similar ;)