Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

Jon,

I have chambered factory ammo, but have not shot any yet. I hope to hit the range today or tomorrow to test several other things out.

And as I hear it, there was a great gnashing of teeth and wailing when I jumped on that gun.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jon,

I have chambered factory ammo, but have not shot any yet. I hope to hit the range today or tomorrow to test several other things out.

And as I hear it, there was a great gnashing of teeth and wailing when I jumped on that gun.

ummmm yeah dry.gif

After getting home (late), another round of cardio and dryfire, I was off to the range. Nothing like shooting in the dark.

The maximum OAL that my 125g Precision bullets would chamber was 1.045. I had a feeling that this would not only be a stout load, but would tumble...but I loaded some up. I also brought 100rds of my 147g Zero ammo that is loaded to a 1.155.

I began with the Precisions, and I was correct. The recoil was very snappy and the bullets tumbled. All of that was expected, but the ammo RAN. That load is not a viable option but at least I got to put some rounds through the gun.

After that fiasco, I tried my luck at the Zero ammo that I knew I could rack through my gun at home but still had doubts in it's performance. DING DING DING went the steel...and I was amazed. Every round ran perfectly through my CZ. Why would such a long round work when my Precisions at 1.07 would not?

After reading a CZ forum and talking with my resident expert, it's all about the ogive. Essentially the Precisions get fatter sooner than the Zeros, and that fatness is hitting the rifling of the barrel and preventing the round to fully seat.

Groovy man, the mystery of the funky ammo has been solved. Now I have two paths I can walk: Load all new ammo....ORRRRRRRRRR get my barrel reamed. I think I will go with the reamed option. The Great Matt Cheely is known for building amazing pistols, and also offers a reaming service as well, so that is an option (though I HATE the idea of being unable to dryfire for 4-7 days).

So today's thoughts on the dryfire: Corey's "Look at the front strap" method was quite effective. Focusing my attention there oriented the gun and my approach with the mag, and lent itself to much smoother reloads. The DA is becoming smoother, and the sights are being disturbed less.

Thoughts on livefire: I thought that the DA pull would yank my shots all over, but it did not. I was knocking down steel with only the DA pull with excellent reliability. The one thing that did surprise me several times was the SA pull after the DA pull when I was shooting paper. I immediately thought that something was wrong with the gun, then I looked down and realized that I was shooting a CZ.

It was a very productive day 3 with the CZ. Some major issues were explained and unmasked, but now I need to figure out how to resolve them...quickly.

This is interesting! I'm reading this in amazement!! I still remember the blue Glock! I still remember my first reaction when watching you shoot years ago at An Indiana State match, "who the hell is this fast moving, blue Glock gun shooting, smiling kamikaze guy?". Now a CZ....broaden the skills, maturation as a shooter. Dude, I love it!! Always an inspiration. Thanks for the friendship and help over the years, whether you know it, or not, you got my respect and tons of other shooters also.

Thank you for allowing me to start my day on such a positive note Chris! Your kind words will fuel me throughout the day today :) YOU have grown exponentially as a shooter over the years my friend!

Great dryfire today! I'm still focusing on just draws, reloads, and two target transitions with reloads all using my round the world format. I briefly played around with the Angus style grip (where you wrap your support hand index finger around the trigger guard) , and deduced that I could never make that work.

After chatting with the great Matt Cheely, I decided to ship my barrel off to him to have it reamed. I'm excited to have it taken care of, but am bummed out at the loss of dryfire time while it is traveling to and from Michigan.

Does anyone in the Dayton area have a cz barrel they would lend me just for dryfire? :) It's worth asking!

Great dryfire today! I'm still focusing on just draws, reloads, and two target transitions with reloads all using my round the world format. I briefly played around with the Angus style grip (where you wrap your support hand index finger around the trigger guard) , and deduced that I could never make that work.

After chatting with the great Matt Cheely, I decided to ship my barrel off to him to have it reamed. I'm excited to have it taken care of, but am bummed out at the loss of dryfire time while it is traveling to and from Michigan.

Does anyone in the Dayton area have a cz barrel they would lend me just for dryfire? :) It's worth asking!

You could probably just put the slide stop pin back in lol.

I thought about the driving option Kevin, but $6 in shipping was infinitely less expensive than 8 hours of driving. It looks like Matt will have the barrel no later than Saturday, and he stated that he'll send it back the same day.

I thought about the driving option Kevin, but $6 in shipping was infinitely less expensive than 8 hours of driving. It looks like Matt will have the barrel no later than Saturday, and he stated that he'll send it back the same day.

winning!

You could probably just put the slide stop pin back in lol.

Yeah...that did not work, as I anticipated.

What I was happy to see however was my order of Bayou bullets! I've been seeing these goofy green bullets for some time and had to order a couple. After handling them, I was impressed with how clean they are. Have you ever handled moly or lead bullets, just to have schmutz all over your hands? These are about as clean as tmj!

2012-10-11_15-16-53_630.jpg

I am going to keep my AM and PM dryfire/range time dedicated while my barrel is off being reamed. Today I sat down and created several new drills for the dojo (which currently is literally my downstairs), and set up the dryfire targets.

That makes me thing about the progression of things:

-I started dryfiring in a one bedroom apartment alone, then shared it with my then wife

-Dryfired in a townhouse (which is the exact model and community that I live in now) with my then wife...but only using the bedroom and den

-Bought a house and had complete dominion over the garage, which was the true birth of the "Dryfire Dojo"

-Moved out and had a townhouse that had a basement...aka Dojo II

-Back to the townhouse community that I once lived at, but now the WHOLE DAMN PAD IS MY DRYFIRE PLAYGROUND!

If only I had an entire structure dedicated to dryfire....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

Yeah, Matt is really the best when it comes to his customers. I sent him a barrel and he did the repairs and had it back to me in 4 days.cheers.gif

Without a barrel there was no dryfire today, so I focused on physical fitness. Lots of cardio and yoga.

After that, I got to see how corn is harvested, and had my first ride in a combine!

Not much substance today here...although I was reminded of a former phobia of mine: I have always hated heights.

It all started when I was 5. Climbing trees was the thing to do, and I followed suit. TV as for suckers, I'd rather be climbing. That all changed when I fell out of one and had a concussion. We learn to avoid things based upon our environment and experiences. After that day, my tree climbing and heights loving days were over...

Until 2003 when I jumped out of a perfectly operating plane.

I am not sure why I agreed to do it, or how I found the guile to go through with the experience...I must have been under some sort of influence back then...but I did. It was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life (safe encounters with spiders).

After that, I was cured.

I say all of this because I was asked today that if I was not afraid of heights that I should climb up one of the silos. "Not since I jumped out of a plane" I stated as I ran to the L O N G ladder to the top.

If we hit plateaus, we need to find out whatever it is that we need to do to overcome them. Continuing the daily training session might not be enough, we need to think EXTREME!

I guess I need to cover myself in tarantulas :sick:

Mike Grimm (justmike here on the forums) contacted me last night and said that he had a barrel that I could borrow! Today we met up, and I have been dryfiring ever since :)

Earlier this morning I tore apart my CZ just so that I would become more familiar with the process, and I noticed that the part of my firing pin where the hammer hits it had some burrs on it. I've been searching for a way to dryfire the crap out of this thing without causing wear on the hammer and fp...and someone from another forum recommended a #83 o-ring.

This completely does the trick without affecting the DA pull weight.

2012-10-14_19-44-42_533.jpg

Cheely is finished with my barrel, and I should get it back Wednesday/Thursday. Doesn't matter now since I can dryfire again, although I will develop a few loads in the mean time and take them to the range with a chrono.

Mike, I really appreciate you allowing me to borrow your barrel! I owe you a few :cheers:

Mike Grimm (justmike here on the forums) contacted me last night and said that he had a barrel that I could borrow! Today we met up, and I have been dryfiring ever since :)

Earlier this morning I tore apart my CZ just so that I would become more familiar with the process, and I noticed that the part of my firing pin where the hammer hits it had some burrs on it. I've been searching for a way to dryfire the crap out of this thing without causing wear on the hammer and fp...and someone from another forum recommended a #83 o-ring.

This completely does the trick without affecting the DA pull weight.

Only you would take a perfectly good production gun and put a O ring in it lol.

Yoga, cardio, and dryfire this morning, cardio and more dryfire in the evening.

Not quite happy with the grippy-ness of the grips on my CZ, I tried several methods of affixing my favorite melt-your-skin-off grip tape. After several failed applications, I believe that I found a method that will stick. (glue pun...haha!):

2012-10-15_18-34-30_599.jpg

At the bench today, I re-calibrated my press to load what I think might be an optimal load: 124g Bayou bullet with 4.2g of TG at an OAL of 1.125. I will not really know until I get my barrel back, but I feel that this is a good starting point based upon the load data that I have been given from several trusted CZ shooters.

I also set up the teeny-tiny targets that I needed for some of the new drills that I created over the weekend:

2012-10-15_18-52-03_121.jpg

A BIG thank you once again to justmike whose barrel is allowing me to train :bow:

My barrel did not come today: and thus I would like to take the opportunity to thank St. justmike once more for providing me with his barrel for dryfire until mine returns!!!!!!!

I did load up some ammo with 4.0g of TG to chrono once my pistol is complete again.

I still struggle with "throwing in" my reloads the same way I did with my Glocks. I understand that after doing something hundreds of times a day for 8 years that it tends to be more than automatic...although it is frustrating.

I am incorporating more than 'Round the World drills now in dryfire, and am surprised at the lack of stamina my trigger finger has when pulling DAO for about 30 minutes. There is a joke here, but I will spare the forums and save it for my next match.

Speaking of matches, my only match with the CZ will be the Miamisburg monthly club match. I hope that through that match and the many trips to the range once I obtain my barrel, that I may become "match comfortable" with the new gun before the Indiana SS/Prod match.

I phrased that as a question, but I know that I will be ready to win in two weeks ;)