Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911?

If I bought tomorrow for carry, it would be the S&W PD hands down. For IDPA, I would look at STI (I have a trojan and it's great), Used Kimber Series 1 which I also have and like, Colt or Springfield. I'm not married to any one gun, just want them to run.

Rik

Like others have said, I like the idea of having one built. It may put you slightly north of 1K but it would be "your" gun. Start with a quality frame and slide and go from there. Names like Caspian, Rock River and STI come to mind but there are others

I absolutely believe the 1911 with the best quality for under 1000.00 is the Dan Wesson's. The fit and finish is better than any production 1911's I have owned including the colts, which I think are great guns. They are a shop of 10 employees and are hand fitted using quality parts including Wolff springs, several ed brown parts, Chip mccormick trigger, egw slide stop (10mm's), tritium sights, match barrel and the only mim part on it is the STI thumb safety. Many say they are the best kept 1911 secret and I agree.

Edited by xsquid

I believe everything out there that costs under $1000 is hit or miss. For that amount of money and the 1911 platform you often miss. I believe you miss often enough that you need to raise the price to about $1400. If I wanted one that I can count on right out of the box I would skip S&W, Springfield, Kimber, Para Ordnance and everything else in the $1000 price range. Sure, you might get a good one and I know I'll be criticized by shooters who DO have good ones, but the chance of getting a bad one is just too great to risk. I abandoned the 1911 many years ago because of the unreliable mass produced junk that gave me nothing but misery and headaches. When my brother wanted to buy a good one I urged him to get a Les Baer. He did and he has never regretted it. He spent about $1400 on a Concept VI (stainless version of the Premier II) and I have to admit I am very impressed with it. If I wanted or needed a 1911 I'd buy a Baer too. It's amazing how much junk is still being made in this day and age of MIM parts and CNC machining. So spend the extra money and get something that works without excuses!

Dave Sinko