Uspsa Hall Of Fame

kimel

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's odd. I've been around practical shooting for about 6 years now....about 80% of the people listed - I've never heard of.

That was kind of the reason why I started this thread.

I'm like you Jake (although I'm 40). I'd been involved with action shooting for the last 10 years, counting my early IDPA days.

It's kind of sad these names just fade away.

Kind of cool for us older guys...unlike Jake, I have shot with most of those mentioned here. :cheers:

And did it before Jake was born! :cheers:

Ah, the good ol black powder days... :cheers:

Yep, the Good Old Days when Open meant SS in .45 with irons and a beveled mag well...just wish I would have had Jakes talent when I was shooting back then...might have been shooting with the Big Boys like BE, TGO, Mickey, Ross and the rest, as it was, I was a kind of second tier shooter, most always in the top 50 or 60 at the Natls but seldom much higher...still lots of fun though. And sometimes that lube smoked like black powder...LOL

• 3 months later...

would like to second the nominations of Bill Rogers, on the BOD that initiated Limited, and the consumate gentleman of the sport Armando Valdez.

regards

Les Snyder

shot the 25th anniversary of my first state match this year

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay, you REALLY want ancient history: Mike Waidelich. This is going waaaay back to the animal from which descended USPSA and others - the Southwest Pistol League. Mike was there; Mike was one of the earliest instructors back when Gunsite was Gunsite; and he's credited by many as one of the founders of the Modern Pistol Technique alongside Jeff Cooper. Yes, I am prejudiced in this respect - Mike is primarily responsible for nothing I've done wrong and almost everything I've done right - but it was guys like him that struck the dies from which modern pistol shooting events have been cast.

By the way, I'm only 48; SWPL was doing stuff when I was in grade school. And yes, my poor old original duty weapon 1911 from 1987 still rides upon my hip, too. Old stuff that stands the test of time never gets old.

Ross Seyfried because he was the last to win the Open World Shoot with what is now a limited single stack 45.

Debbie James. The only woman to win 4 US Nationals titles in a row.

Debbie James. The only woman to win 2 IPSC World Shoot titles in a row. She retired undefeated to start a family.

Julie Goloski the first to win National titles in 4 categories.

Jerry Barnhart, the first to win Open and Limited National titles in the same year.

Why Bill Wilson? He sponsored some shooters and put up prizes but many others have done that. He was not an innovator. Heck, Jake Kempton was making triple chamber compensators before Wilson made his first double chamber.

Definitely NOT the Second Chance pin shoot guy. He had NOTHING to do with IPSC. He made body armor and had a once a year bowling pin shoot.

I think we need to separate this into IPSC and USPSA each having their own HOF.

Jimmy VonSorgenfrei was a World Shoot Champion but does that qualify him for the USPSA HOF? I say no.

IPSC should of course include each World Shoot winner.

USPSA should include each National Champion.

Please, let us consider accomplishments and contributions;not just good folks that were around way back when.

There's the reason I even suggested someone like Waidelich; because he WAS "way back when." One thing modern shooters often overlook is the very foundation upon which current skills are based. Is it possible someone else would've figured out a modified Weaver? Or beveling a mag well, or shooting with high or low thumb? Very much so, but these are the guys that paved the way - they had the ingenuity and insight to challenge the old ways of pistol shooting and incorporate DVC as the hallmarks of pistolcraft, not just Camp Perry-style bullseye. And at the time they did it, many considered their ideas of "combat pistol" as heresy. These same epiphanies were eventually adopted by military and law enforcement doctrine, not just competitive pistol shooters in the public domain. We practice many of them today, too - some tweaked a little, some changed drastically. But they remain the same in principle because they were good ideas "way back when", and still apply today. Any skill created by the marriage of human and machine reveres the forebearers who first mastered it, recognizes the contributions they made that remain timeless. Ask a GP motorcycle racer if he ever heard of Mike Hailwood or fighter pilot about Joe Foss.

• 4 months later...

Hell guys, I just assumed there already was a HOF. I am new to shooting the sport but have always read about it over the years and actually can't believe there is no HOF. Kinda' sad if you think about it. Also figured it was in the SW somewhere.

And to the guy who said Pete Rose made choices keeping him out of his HOF, what about all the cheaters we have in Baseball now? Better to gamble than to out and out cheat. Pete earned his way in.

it would be good to have THINGS also.

One of each target USPSA has used.

The first electronic timer.

Examples of the changes in holsters in Open division. Ernie Hill leather. Who had a Plaxco steel lined holster? I did.

And PISTOLS. I would like to see in this museum-

Ross Seifreids Pachmyer .45. The last 'Limited' gun used to win the World Shoot.

John Shaws Clark Pin Gun. The first attempt at a 'comp' gun to win the US Nationals.

TGO .45 comp gun. The last 45 to win the Nationals. I know Niel had it. I hope Robbies' Mom still does.

TGO first .38 Super Comp gun. It started the rush to Supers.

Jerry Barnharts STI with the Aimpoint. The first 'red dot' to win the US Nationals

Doug Koenigs Aimpoint comp gun used to win the World Shoot. same reason

I thought that Jerry Barnhart was the last one to win a Nationals with a 45. In 1987? It was a Nastoff. I was there shooting a near identical Nastoff 45. Proving that it is the indian not the arrow. :roflol:

That's true.

Robbie shot a super that year but the primers were flowing out. I don't know if he zeroed the standards or what, but he lost a ton of points and Jerry was there to gobble up the win.

The other thing that needs to be checked is the last limited nationals to be won with a .45. I suspect that was Rob but Rob and Jerry traded back and forth there for a bit. In the beggining I think both were using SS .45's. At least I know Rob was and Jerry did too at the first one.

Jack

Jerry Barnharts STI with the Aimpoint. The first 'red dot' to win the US Nationals

Doug Koenigs Aimpoint comp gun used to win the World Shoot. same reason

I'll check the details but when Jerry won the first US nationals with a dot, it was on a single stack super, the next year he shot a hybrid Wilson/Huenig (sp) frame and shot a McCormick frame in '92. Rob and Doug were shooting Caspian framed Springfield guns in '92 and P9's in '91 Doug won the Worlds in '90 with a P9.

Also Jerry used Propoints from Tasco, I'm pretty sure Doug did too.

I stand corrected on Jerry and the 45 at the US nationals.

Rob was the last to win a world shoot with a 45.

Yes, Jerry and Doug did use the 25mm Tasco. Mea Culpa

I thought Jerry used a double stack that year. but obviously I could be wrong.

What about the Browning P35 Ray Chapman used to win the first World Shoot?

I think it is important to have these pistols in a USPSA Museum/HOF

We have gone through many changes. Targets, holsters, pistols, steel targets, ballistic pendulum ( I bet most people on here do not know what that is). Stop watches to electronic timers. Who remembers stop plates at the Nationals?

A display of pistols, the progression/ single stack .45/ single stack 45 w-comp/single stack 38Super w-comp/ single stack 38Super w-comp and red dot/ double stack 38 super w-comp and red dot/ P9 9x21 w-comp & red dot

Some shooters have never known Open class as anything but a modular 38 super with comp and dot sight. We have come a long way baby.

Who on here knows what an Item and Option target are? Or a Florida 8?

USPSA and IPSC has a long rich history that should be preserved.

Edited by SharonAnne9x23

It's been a long time since I've heard or even thought of a Florida 8. I remember what the Item and Option targets looked like, but since I didn't see all that many of the Florida 8 targets I can't recall what they looked like.

All the other stuff I remember and even still have some of the holsters and guns that I've used since I started shooting this game in the early 80's including the name badge from my first national's in 1988.

I stand corrected on Jerry and the 45 at the US nationals.

Rob was the last to win a world shoot with a 45.

Yes, Jerry and Doug did use the 25mm Tasco. Mea Culpa

I thought Jerry used a double stack that year. but obviously I could be wrong.

What about the Browning P35 Ray Chapman used to win the first World Shoot?

I think it is important to have these pistols in a USPSA Museum/HOF

We have gone through many changes. Targets, holsters, pistols, steel targets, ballistic pendulum ( I bet most people on here do not know what that is). Stop watches to electronic timers. Who remembers stop plates at the Nationals?

A display of pistols, the progression/ single stack .45/ single stack 45 w-comp/single stack 38Super w-comp/ single stack 38Super w-comp and red dot/ double stack 38 super w-comp and red dot/ P9 9x21 w-comp & red dot

Some shooters have never known Open class as anything but a modular 38 super with comp and dot sight. We have come a long way baby.

USPSA and IPSC has a long rich history that should be preserved.

Gotta throw a stopwatch in there too!

Remember when there were no classes and you run what you brung?

I thought that Jerry Barnhart was the last one to win a Nationals with a 45. In 1987? It was a Nastoff. I was there shooting a near identical Nastoff 45. Proving that it is the indian not the arrow. :roflol:

That's true.

Robbie shot a super that year but the primers were flowing out. I don't know if he zeroed the standards or what, but he lost a ton of points and Jerry was there to gobble up the win.

The other thing that needs to be checked is the last limited nationals to be won with a .45. I suspect that was Rob but Rob and Jerry traded back and forth there for a bit. In the beggining I think both were using SS .45's. At least I know Rob was and Jerry did too at the first one.

Jack

Jack I seem to remember either the '94 or '95 Limited Nationals in Reno where Robby said the Team Springfield guys will only shoot singlestacks because it's what SA sold. He won, I think Arnt (sp?) was third and some really fast kid named Jack Barnes was 4th (I think).

Rich