Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Eagle Question

I bought an STI .45 Eagle a couple of months ago and on any one range visit I can get through 150 to 200 rnds without any issues. Afer that when I release the slide lock to chamber a new round, the slide does not fully seat the round. I have to nudge it forward. I have approximately 600 rounds total through the gun.

Is this happening b/c the gun is fouling up after 150 or so rounds? I clean the gun after each range visit and it functions flawlessly for the first 200 rounds before acting up. Is this part of the breakin process? TIA.

D

Clean it and oil it frequently. I would run it pretty wet for the first few thousand rounds as on a tightly fitted gun it takes a while for all the parts to be fully "buffed" and mated properly. :) If you are on the range and it starts having minor feeding problems you might point the muzzle down and hose it with WD40 while locked open then work the slide a few times for emergency relief. This will "flush" out the crap and most of the time It will be good to go for a while longer.....

Hello: I would look at your slide stop shaft. See how it is wearing and if there is a burr on it. I would stone off the high spots and polish it. Then apply some good grease on the shaft and lower lugs. Then shoot it again and see if the problem goes away. I'm sure it will. Let us all know the outcome. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Stryder031100

It is common for tightly fitted new guns to behave like that for a while as noted by some here.

A quick, on the spot cure that hasn't failed to work everytime I suggestit is to add a few drops of oil at the front juncture of the barrel and slide just behind the locking lugs, then move the slide back and forth a few times to spread this lubrication over the lugs engaging area. You will notice that your gun now will continue to work "magically" as it did before.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

Eric-

It is common for tightly fitted new guns to behave like that for a while as noted by some here.

A quick, on the spot cure that hasn't failed to work everytime I suggestit is to add a few drops of oil at the front juncture of the barrel and slide just behind the locking lugs, then move the slide back and forth a few times to spread this lubrication over the lugs engaging area. You will notice that your gun now will continue to work "magically" as it did before.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've done that for years before every practice session or match. It's so easy it's hard to imagine a reason for not doing it.