Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Standard Vs Magnum Primers

glockadict

I was wondering how much difference there is between these 2. I am shooting major power factor out of a Para 16-40, and a STI Edge. All I can find lately is Federal small pistol magnum primers. Are they as soft as standard primers? How much more pressure, and velocity do they produce? Thanks in advance.

I was wondering how much difference there is between these 2. I am shooting major power factor out of a Para 16-40, and a STI Edge. All I can find lately is Federal small pistol magnum primers. Are they as soft as standard primers? How much more pressure, and velocity do they produce? Thanks in advance.

I can only give you info from my 38 spcl/38 super steel loads but I did see a pf of +5

using mag primers in place of reg fed primers.

I think maybe a touch tougher to ignite in my revo but in an auto I don't think you'll see a diff.

As with any change in a reloading component, best to download and work back up.

ps, I did see an improvement in accuracy in 2 loads.

I load Federal SP and Mag SP primers and use them interchangably. I've run into the same issue, can sometimes find magnums but can't find the standard ones. I load only federals for my 610 with 40 S&W cases exclusively. I can't light anything else with the 610. I've not really looked at PF difference but I can tell you that the magnums are just as ignitable as the standard primers. My question is, why are you using Federals in a 16-40 when Winchester or Remington primers are every bit as effective? I could see it if you had a light hammer like in my 610, but can't see the issue in a 1911 gun.

Vince

My question is, why are you using Federals in a 16-40 when Winchester or Remington primers are every bit as effective? I could see it if you had a light hammer like in my 610, but can't see the issue in a 1911 gun.

I run light mainsprings in my 1911's. If this primer shortage keeps up I will have to put 17lbs mainsprings back in my pistols, and use winchesters.

Ok, that makes sense. What advantage does that give you though? I'm not a gunsmith so I'm unclear why you'd want to run a lighter mainspring? My Para Limited gun has the standard weight mainspring and still has an approximate 2 pound trigger. I use a Koenig low mass hammer, so lock time sems to be at least 20% faster than the standard hammer Para had in it before. My para will ignite about any primer I feed it though I have not tried CCI's in it since my 650 pukes on those ;)

Vince